Jets wanted Bruce Irvin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFOREVER, Apr 29, 2012.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this should go in the Draft section so I'll just post this here.

I'm baffled. He dropped out of high school and only played 2 seasons at WVU. He has red flags all over the place and yet was taken so high, but why? I'm much happier with Coples.

#1 NYJFOREVER, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Irvin is probably the best 3-4 pass rusher in the draft. He's a bad run defender and can't do anything else, but he can get after the quarterback.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So he's Aaron Maybin?

4. NYJFOREVER

If he can only be on the field during passing situations because he can't stop the run then is he honestly worth a first round pick?

5. pender30

pender30 Member

Manish quickly disagrees with Pasquerelli's report in Cimini's article:

Manish Mehta ‏ @TheJetsStream

6. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

Cimini is really trying to stir the pot with his "analysis" there in the last paragraph. What else is new?

7. tzinc

tzinc New Member

only the seahawks wanted him in round 1

it was a dumb reach for a 1 down player

dude is too light to play olb 3-4 or de in 4-3 cannot stop the run and has no pass cover skills

disinformation to cover up this ridiculous pick

8. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

???:rofl2:

9. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I think he's part of a trend that was exemplified by Von Miller -- quickly elevating your defense with a fast linebacker with an elite pass rush burst. Questionable run-stopping and pass coverage are acceptable -- just move him around like a pass rush freak.

While Von Miller is on another level from this guy, I think it's far from established that Miller is complete as an NFL linebacker. He's a pass rush freaky-deak.

10. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

At first I wasn't wild about picking Coples...but I believe he will be a very good player/pick
    when we look back at this draft!

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I think other teams would have taken him in round 1, just later in the round. These DE/OLBs all had question marks, they liked Irwin more than the others. Seattle did trade down before taking him, just not that far down.

I don't think the Jets would have taken him at 16, I think they would have traded down a little and hoped to get him later.

12. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

What kind of news is this? Criticizing the Jets for thinking about reaching for a player that they didn't actually take?

13. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

The Jets are better off not spending a 1st round pick on a guy that can only rush the passer (allegedly). There is no need for another undersized guy who has to run circles around the entire offense just to get to the QB (Maybin).

Jets are better off with a player that can play every down (Coples).

14. NYJFOREVER

I wasn't exactly criticizing them, I was wondering why they wanted to take Irvin as a huge reach right in the middle of the 1st round. Irvin seemed like a late first round early-mid 2nd round talent.

15. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Never underestimate the.....arrhhh forget it!!

16. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

It's all speculation. Manish already said that the Jets did not intend on taking Irvin at 16. All that matters is who the Jets actually drafted. All this woulda coulda shoulda speculation is kind of pointless.

17. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

This is exactly what Rich Cimini created. Reading between the lines, the Jets liked Irvin, not likely at 16 but some where after that. Its amazing the way Rich prime's his articles.

18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Cimini is basically criticizing the Jets for reaching for Coples AND criticizing the Jets for wanting to reach for Irvin. In his shit-stirring world, they reached TWICE for the same pick. What a dick.

19. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Not quite my point, He framed his article to sound as if the Jets were going to reach for Irvin, not that they could have had intrest in him, just in another round. By the way, I don't believe Coples is a reach.

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

This article is total nonsense. Under Rex, first round picks have always been good value picks ... but let's ignore that and just use some common sense.

Jets got lit up when Brady would go no-huddle last season. Brady would call runs while the run package is on the sideline and vice-versa with the pass. There's just no way the Jets are going to use their 1st pick on a defensive player who is incapable of playing 3 Downs; and let Brady can continue to crush them with the same crap. If a simple fan like me can see that .... then a defensive guru like Rex definitely sees it.

Jets liking Irving for round 2 or 3 is possible but there's no way he was an option for round #1.

#20 ajax, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012