Jets v. 49ers -- 1980

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by steviep, Sep 21, 2006.

1. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

I'm an idiot. Of course it was vs. the Colts. I guess I'm thinking too much about this Sunday's game.

2. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I'm an old man, and I was only ten years old then :smile: Thanks for making me feel young again :up:

3. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

I was 8 for SB III

I was 12 for Jets/Colts aerial show.

I was 20 for the fiasco vs. Frisco.

4. mkronenberg

mkronenberg New Member

Okay, as long as we're revealing our ages:

I was 5 for SB III

I was 9 for Namath vs. Unitas 1972

I was 17 for NYJ vs. SF 1980, Gaines catches 17 passes

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You are correct, an NFC road team at that time would have been a CBS game, which may have factored into the decision not to show the game.

Oh, and since we're revealing ages, I was 2 for Super Bowl III, 5 for the 1972 game, 13 for the 1980 season.

6. steviep

steviep Active Member

Do i have to do true confessions also? Here goes--

SuperBowl III: 6 days.
    1980 season: 11

Two notes on Jets v. Saints and Richard Todd:

1. Was the Jets Saints game -- the game where Todd "flipped the bird" as he walked off the field?

2. One of the posters -- wrote he thought Todd was tough. Back -- in one of those years (research reveals 1981) Todd threw Steve Serby into the locker. What is interesting about this story is that it actually made Bob Costas' career. That week, Jets played Baltimore at Baltimore. I recall that it was a blow out. I assume the Jets were getting killed but i really dont remember (research reveals the Jets blew out the Colts 41-14). Costas was doing -the game with Bob Trumpy.

As the game was a blow out -- they started talking. You have to remember that -- old style broadcasters like the late Bob Murphy of the Mets and Marty Glickman of the Jets, felt that it was their job to describe the action -- NOT TO GIVE OPINIONS AT ALL. So, during this game, Costas and Trumpy started a heated argument about the Serby Todd incident. Trumpy basically saying that players can be pushed over the line -- Costas saying that you cant have players throwing reporters into lockers. Costas/Trumpy ignored the rest of the game and argued like two guys in a bar.

It put Costas' star on the rise.

7. Italian Seafood

I tend to think it wasn't because I'm pretty sure I remember seeing him do it and that Saints game wasn't on TV.

I remember that clearly. Todd's gripe was that the 81 team had turned it around and started winning after an 0-3 start, and Serby kept writing negative shit about them. One day Todd told Serby to get out of his face in the locker room and Serby persisted, so Todd snapped and threw him into a locker.

And I remember watching that game at Baltimore, too. Me and my dad were disgusted that the Jets were finally playing so well and all the focus was on the Todd/Serby thing. Marv Albert joked later on the news-- "No truth to the rumor that Bob Trumpy stuffed Bob Costas into a locker after the game."

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember the headlines on the back page of the NYPOST during midweek before the Colts game. I remember the game itself - my father was a dolphins fan at the time and he was annoyed that NBC cut off the Dolphins-Patriots game in the middle of OT to show the Jets game in it's entirety. Me, as a ten year old, tried to explain to him the home team TV rules, and him just waving me off. Then the Colts, a terrible team, scored first and he mocked me saying "They'll probably lose anyway". Of course, the Jets rolled big-time, pounded Bert Jones and does anyone here remember Jones angrily going after one of his OT's after getting sacked?. As far as the Costas-Trumpy feud I wonder if it was then that they decided to pair Trumpy up with Don Criqui? :rolleyes:

#28 mrjet80, Sep 22, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  9. mrjet80

10. Italian Seafood

I did see it then. I had that game on tape for a long time, that was the game when Mark Gastineau got into the fight with Jackie Slater. That was a classic game.

11. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

I remeber that Bruce Harper game like it was yesterday. I was like 13 or 14 then and I would get autographs after the game each week. Bruce was leaning against hsi car on crutches and my Dad and I had a nice talk with him for about 5 minutes. The last thing he said was that the injury was nont a big deal and he would be back in two weeks......He never palyed again.

It seems we tell that story every year when we are tailgating

12. mkronenberg

mkronenberg New Member

The first time Todd flipped off the Shea crowd was during a Monday night telecast. It was the Jets first Monday night game ever at home in 1979 against the Vikings. Todd scrambled and ran for a TD. I guess the crowd heckled him and he flipped them off in the EZ. The Jets won the game 14-7.

I'm sorry, but I liked Todd and thought he got a bad rep from the fans. I thought the way that asshole Joe Walton emasculated him on the sidelines countless times in 1983 was uncalled for. Walton was one of the worst things that ever happened to the Jets and I'm still bitter that Walt Michaels (who built an excellent team in the late seventies and early eighties) was released by the FO the way he was for that clod Walton.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Here's a pic i found from that game:

[​IMG]

14. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

If memory serves correct, I think Gaines broke his leg two weeks after the SF game, in a 21-11 home loss to New England. That was Week 5 in 1980.

As for the New Orleans debacle, I recall a Richard Todd to Lam Jones long TD pass being called back because of holding penalty early in the game. Jets eventually lost 21-20 on one damn windy, grey and cold day at Shea. A few fans even showed up at Shea that day with bags on their heads. Aaah, the lifelong memories of being a Jet fan.

15. mkronenberg

mkronenberg New Member

You have an excellent memory. You're correct, it was in the NE game that he broke his leg. Good call!

16. mrjet80

Wasn't that the game NE blocked a FG right before halftime and ran it back for a TD to change the momentum..I also seem to remember a big fight late in the game.....alot of those type game-changing plays happened that season...

17. Slagan7

Slagan7 Member

I thought the bird game was like one of the last home games at at shea.

Lets see, I wasn't even born till 1975, so the san fran game was the only one I could see. I remember watching jet games as young as 4 or 5, and I can say I've always been a jets fan.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Mike Haynes returned a blocked FG 65 yards for a touchdown to put the Patriots up 14-6 at halftime.

19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

He came back from the injury and played for the team for a few more years; was the player rep, too.

20. mkronenberg

mkronenberg New Member

As I said, he never played for the Jets again. He played in a very limited capacity for the Chiefs for 2 years. Here are his stats:

Clark Gaines RB -- Wake Forest

1976 NYJ 14 157 724 4.6 3 41 400 9.8 2 4
    1977 NYJ 14 158 595 3.8 3 55 469 8.5 1 3
    1978 NYJ 16 44 154 3.5 2 3 23 7.7 0 1
    1979 NYJ 16 186 905 4.9 0 29 219 7.6 0 1
    1980 NYJ 5 36 174 4.8 0 36 310 8.6 3 2
    1981 KC 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0
    1982 KC 9 1 0 0.0 0 2 17 8.5 0 0