Jets trying to move up in 2nd round for QB **MERGED 3x**

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 26, 2013.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Here are several reasons why this is a HORRIBLE idea.

- A.J. McCarron
    - Logan Thomas
    - Aaron Murray
    - Zach Mettenberger
    - Tajh Boyd
    VERY good chance there will also be:
    - Johnny Manziel
    - Teddy Bridgewater

For us not to wait until next year on a QB and actually trade up this year would be the worst decision we've made in a decade (Sanchez and Gholston included).

As an organization and a fanbase we have to realize we're not going to be a competitive team this year, we're looking at maybe 5 wins. So it's in our best interest to just wait on QB and not force another Sanchez type of selection.

2. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

At first I read this and cringed but then I remembered how bad Sanchez was in the Titans game last year and pretty much the rest of the season.
    Why not trade a next years third(the other pick in the Revis trade) and swap seconds with Jacksonville and go get the top rated qb from this draft. Yeah I'd like Zach Ertz or Eddie Lacey but if Geno Smith is the real deal he'll put us in a better position to win more games next year then our other candidates in the 2nd. I just hope we use most of the rest of the draft on offense if we do in fact get Geno.

3. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

I guarantee you they don't. Useless stats are useless. Before last night, I doubt the majority of this fanbase knew who Sheldon Richardson was. Many didn't want Milliner, and an even larger number didn't want Geno.

4. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm excited if this is true. First of all, it can't cost that much to move up 6-7 spots in the 2nd round. Second, its going to be really hard to get excited for this upcoming season if Sanchez is under center. It is so painful to watch him play with his constant mistakes and general incompetence.

It's time for someone new. And if the Jets had a high grade on one of these QBs, I'm wiling to roll the dice and trust their opinion. A QB can have the Jets playing competitive football immediately, something you can't say for any other position the Jets could draft right now.

I would have been upset if we used one of our 1st round picks on a QB, but I'm definitely on board with using a 2nd

5. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Smokescreen. So far this offseason, the team's been good at keeping the media in the dark and all the Geno talk sounds like nothing more than speculation.

If we trade up hopefully it'll be for Ertz. If we stand pat and Ertz is gone I think that S from FIU would be a nice fit.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Geno Smith sucks. You don't draft a QB just because you don't want Sanchez out there. Jets need a good QB, not an overrated one. Wait until next yr

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

If they stay at 39 and he is there fine but absolutely do not trade up for a QB who would have been a 3rd rounder a year ago.

We need picks and depth. Giving up picks to grab a QB who isn't a once in generation guy is a terrible way to build depth. It's not that I love any of the QB's on the roster but Smith will have the same exact problems Mark has... no OL, no weapons and will suck just as much as Mark has. Throw in giving up picks and you take away chances at weapons.

8. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I like Geno Smith but we got needs on the playmaking areas like TE, RB and also need an Olineman.

Geno Smith would be good value but trading up is nonsense....we can't keep trading up every single year. We need our picks. I am OKAY with the pick at 39 but no sooner.

I think Smith is better than what people give him credit for...I'll take him over Manuel. I think he can simply do more and his flaws can be corrected easier than Manuel.

My only feeling is if we do draft Geno, this means Marty and Rex stay on past next year IMO. We can't take Geno, then fire our HC/OC and put our new HC/OC with a QB they may not have wanted. I am starting to think Rex will be here past 2013 despite a bad year or not.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Neither of those other QBs are significantly better than the other. I don't see it and that was my piont.

10. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Looks like someone watched the 15 second video during the draft. The guy has a 70%+ completion % and like 10/1 TDs/INT's, he's not inconsistent his team sucked.

11. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Dude, Logan Thomas is absolutely terrible. I graduated from Tech and still live in Blacksburg. He has shown absolutely nothing, and he is only talked about because of his size.

12. BakerMaker

Yeah this is another thing....I really, really want Bridgewater. I think he has superstar ability in him. The others have their flaws and I am not entirely love with them and Manziel to me will be a good QB but not great....Bridgewater reminds me of Daunte Culpepper of the Viking years though kind of good.

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Exactly... what happened to this BPA philosophy We pass on an all pro guard because he "was reaching" for a need. Now rumors are we want to trade up for a QB who would rate as average in most years.

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The Jets don't have Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey

15. NYJets4EverOnTop

I love how everyone is in hissy fit about what the Jets are REPORTEDLY TRYING to do. If and when the Jets make a move you guys can cry your eyes out about it but until that happens...have you learned nothing yet about trusting the media? Geez.

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

You can't put an "all pro" label on a guy that has never played an NFL down before. I'm not disagreeing with your point on who we drafted, however, but I think it's a little premature to be calling a untested rookie the best guard in the game.

17. Banjo

Banjo Banned

Bailey's still on the board! Ya never know...

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Last year people were listing Barkley,Manuel, Geno, Tyler Wilson, Bray, etc. just like that. Half or most of those guys will fall off the map this time next year anyway..

Either way just because you draft a Geno Smith this year doesn't mean you can't take a QB high next year if we're in that position.. If they like Geno Smith, take him. QB is one of the biggest needs on the team. Smith can play.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don't know either, but I have nothing to lose if I am wrong. I think you have to give a little slack to the decision making of someone who actually has something tangible to lose if he is wrong.

20. BakerMaker

Wasting a 2nd round pick and then a 1st round pick on the QB position is terrible.

Do one or the other honestly...just don't trade up. I guess in the Jets eyes, they don't wanna wait for Bridgewater if he got hurt or had a bad year or more notably, if they overachieve and have a better record than what's expected.