Jets trading for Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 25, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Josh Johnson b like

[​IMG]

2. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Did these guys think Wilson had adamantium bones or some shit? We could’ve signed a scrub vet at the low low cost of 0 draft picks over the offseason. Why this FO didn’t think a backup with years of experience was a need for a team with a rookie QB is beyond all logic.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This feels a lot like Idzik trading for Percy Harvin midseason after everyone in the fan base and media said they needed more playmakers and neglected the position.

kevda5n9ne, REVISion, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Of course it's a panic move.

You always have to plan for the fact that any of the backups on the roster might have to play at some point. The odds are stacked in favor of that happening at some point during the season. Granted, you don't want it to be for extended periods of time, but you have to plan for that. They were comfortable going into the season with Mike White as the backup QB. Until yesterday, now they're not. They're panicking by making this move. It's another crack in the cheap veneer of competence that this front office and coaching staff have been presenting to us since they got here.

I don't have anything against Flacco, but I think I'd rather they just go ahead with their original plan and go with Mike White and Josh Johnson at QB the rest of the way.

5. abyzmul

It's Opposite Year. After he's healthy, they'll make him learn from the bench.

Fiftynine likes this.
  6. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

The funny thing is Mike White actually looked “OK” and not overwhelmed which makes this move even more puzzling.

What a nightmare of a team man I swear

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Basically JD admitted he fucked up and Mike White is a bust. Cost of a fuck up: a 6th round pick.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Makes no sense. JD is smart and I bet he wanted to sign a vet QB months ago but the Johnsons were cheap and said no. Only if Wilson goes down. Well, he went down.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Here's the panic move part.

Going into the season the Jets were all, "we are happy with our QB room". QB1 goes down. QB2 looks about the same as QB1, but after 3 quarters of him they trade for a new QB1. It says a lot about our entire QB room.

The thing about Flacco. I'm pretty sure if the pass protection isn't solid the pick sixes to defensive ends are going to fly again.

Fiftynine and SixDemonBag like this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Hey, I hope he is good enough that the Jets have to give up a 5th.

12. jets_fan

I had been hesitant to say anything in support of Mike White, since I mercifully fell asleep on the couch watching the game during the second half and didn't see the bulk of his work yesterday, but I was fairly impressed by what I did see. In his first ever action, against Bill Belichick, he was competent. He didn't wow us or anything, but he was competent. Surely he did enough to earn the right to keep going for another week.

Pepsiguy5 and ouchy like this.
  13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It’s not a panic move. They basically don’t trust Josh Johnson to come run this team if push came to shove. You get a veteran who can come in and hopefully get this offense going especially if he shows well in practice. He likely starts against whoever we play after the Bengals and has 2-3 games to do what he does before Zach comes back within a month’s time.

Flacco isn’t moving the needle to make it a panic move. Trading a decent pick like a 4th or something for a QB this late would have signified panic to me. This is a 6th rounder we’re looking at here.

14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

LOL!

15. jets_fan

They should have already had this in place. They rolled the dice by not paying the QB room more than the bare minimum, with the hope of never needing Mike White and Josh Johnson, and now that's come back to bite them. Now they have to part with a draft pick for a guy they could have just resigned.

Fiftynine likes this.
  16. abyzmul

Must have come from the top.

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I bet Flacco can hit a wide open running back on a screen play.

All Gas No Shake, Cman68 and JetBlue like this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

LOL. But he was able to give Mims some development! Come on guys. You wanted a vet back-up, and you got one with SB experience. I am sorry, but Tom Brady, Mahomes, and Rogers were not available. If you think there should be a vet, Flacco is pretty much as good as it gets for a sub without breaking a bank.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. jets_fan

I wonder if they'll keep Mims on the bench even now that Flacco is here. They're probably thinking "Flacco will make Mims look good and then we'll look worse than we already do.".

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  20. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I agree with the first part as I’m sure JD had a plan to get one, but betting Saleh (JD’s operational partner in building the roster) was the one, through discussion with JD, that thought he’d be ok with a non vet…again, I think the wheels have come off so badly and so quickly that Saleh is panicked and this leading to JD making this panic riddled trade…and let me be clear, I don’t hate Flacco, I hate what this trade signals: bad original plan - disastrous season start - no understanding of how to fix disastrous start - help me I’m drowning - hurry and get someone to help win 1 game so I’d don’t have to fire my best friend’s brother