Jets trading for Haason Reddick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 29, 2024.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The place where Rodgers has used TEs the most is in the Red Zone, and Bowers is not going to be open that much in the Red Zone in the NFL. He won't be going against collegiate defenses. He'll be going against the top Safeties and CBs in the world. He's going to have to work to get better at contested catches, or he won't be as effective in the NFL as he was in college.

Borat likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Let's see how you feel about this after one or both of our starting T goes down.

And I didn't say they would be a stud this year...I was referring to their performance as a college player which might indicate they could become a stud in the pros.

BacktoQueens and Borat like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If they sign Bahktiari and draft a prospect at 72 along with Carter Warren that’s plenty of depth to fill in for a few games if needed. This belief that teams roster 4 or 5 starting quality Ts is asinine. It doesn’t happen.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don’t give a shit about Rodgers, he’s 41 years old. You draft for the future not for a QB like that

blackssmagic likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

You're making a straw man argument. No one is suggesting that they roster 4 or 5 starting quality OTs. We're suggesting 3, since it's likely that Smith misses at least 3-4 games, and he could miss most of the season. After this season, Smith will be gone. Moses will either be gone or re-signed as the starting RT and along with the LT the Jets draft in the 1st round this year (if he develops) they's have 2 starting level OTs. It's funny that not too long ago coaches along with Parcells were reluctant to start rookies, so they WOULD have 3-4 starting level OTs on the roster. They'd have a couple of veteran starters, and a rookie or two to sit behind them and learn for a year, or maybe the rookie or rookies would start.at OG their rookie season and then move to OT the following season, and that was before OL started dropping like flies during the season.

#385 NCJetsfan, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
    Borat likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I agree that one drafts for the future. A number of people are saying that Bowers should be the pick for this season, however, because the Jets are going "all in." If one drafts for the future, the only smart choice would be to take an OT in the 1st round this year. If they draft an OT like Fashanu or Latham, he can play whatever the blocking scheme is in the future. That isn't necessarily true for a WR, and it's totally not true for a TE. Only a few OCs in the NFL feature the TE in their offense the way Bowers was used at UGA. Saleh and JD could be gone following the season, so players need to be drafted that can be utilized this season, next season and going forward. It would be silly to draft Bowers when most likely Hackett is not going to change his offense and won't make effective use of Bowers, then Woody cleans house, and another HC and OC are hired who don't feature the TE in their offense, and Bowers would wind up getting traded or being meh.

And Rodgers is here this season and maybe next season as well, so you'd better care what Rodgers does.

#386 NCJetsfan, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
    Borat likes this.
  7. dawinner127

No I’m not, Ra.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I could see something like this happening (maybe even Cam Fleming instead of Bahktiari and a possible trade up from 72) if someone like Harrison or Nabers becomes a possibility. I.e. a consensus top 5 player in the draft who slides. Unlikely, but this happened last year with Jalen Carter. Then the value may be too much to pass up at #10.

But short of that where value meets the need is OT at 10. There are 3 really good OT prospects in this draft. Not unlike last draft where we had Paris, Wright, and Broderick (there was also Skoronski, who reminds of Fuaga, who was drafted high but likely more of a G prospect than LT). There SHOULD be one of the 3 OTs available at 10 spot, who also happens to be the best player left on the board, and that person should be the pick.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

That would be awful depth imo.
    Bakh is washed up and also injury prone, and Warren is still an unknown.

I don’t believe we have a great window to win this year.
    The draft is about the future and I can’t see heading into 2025 without any OTs or QBs on the roster.
    It would also help the present imo, as we have virtually no depth with a couple starters having extensive injury history.
    Last year is a perfect illustration of why that’s not a good idea.

Unless an amazing WR falls to 10, Oline or even QB has to be the move imo. In this draft the need happens to match the positional talent and we should take advantage of that.
    Both for the present and more importantly the future.

#389 BacktoQueens, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

Who said they are “all in” and don’t care about the future? That’s marketing buzz words, not a draft strategy

11. dawinner127

This regime is shot if they don’t win this year. They aren’t going to draft a player that doesn’t make an immediate impact. The only player on the OL who would do that is Fautanu since he would probably push Simpson at LG. Any T pick they make would be just like taking WMD last year. A terrible use of resources in a 2, maybe 3 year window they had with Rodgers. Douglas has been known to have awful resource allocation so it wouldn’t shock me to watch him take Foshanu or Fuaga who won’t play more than 2-3 games.

Edit - I’m absolutely okay with Fautanu or an OL pick, i would just prefer pass catcher since we are one rolled ankle away from Lazard playing meaningful snaps again.

All Gas No Shake and REVISion like this.
  12. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

If the team sucks like that this year, I hear there's a brilliant offensive mind in Detroit that has found ways to utilize the TE

johnny likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

It wouldn't matter if he was hired. He'd have no OTs to protect whomever was playing QB for at least a season or two if the Jets drafted Bowers.

14. dawinner127

Pick 72, A 2025 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and free agency or trade market, but yeah, they'll have no OTs. Talk about overexaggerating.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We need 11 starting OTs and 11 starting pass rushers.

REVISion, chandler and dawinner127 like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

Brigham young , Brigham all

abyzmul likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The concept of needing to draft a tackle this year because we are worried our starting tackles might get hurt is just a dumb reason.

If we’re drafting a tackle, it’s obviously with the future in mind because we don’t have any on the roster worth a damn past this year, which is fine and sound reasoning. But to try to say we need to take a first round tackle for depth is just dumb.

18. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i agree. i don't have an issue if OL is BPA. But if you're focused on super short term need, why wouldn't you just trade the pick for a known commodity that is far more likely to help in the short term

we have a history of rookie OL getting hurt too (and we're not alone in that department) and there are plenty of OL -- drafted even higher than our slot -- who struggled in year one

if you get hypnotized by need you tend to lose some objectivity and talk yourself into reaching for a candidate

19. dawinner127

STOP MAKING SENSE

REVISion likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

People are also acting like OLs are guaranteed to start for 15 years while WRs and TEs spontaneously combust after their rookie years.

WRs, TEs, and OLs all help in the future. Only the first two are likely to help this year.