Jets trading for Haason Reddick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The “red flags” are based on one opinion that looks like Nania copy and pasted from someone else about a phantom struggle making contested catches.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the most common arguments I've seen against drafting Bowers are the bolded and the one where we already have Conk and Ruckert so we're all set. The latter argument is kind of laughable because Conklin is a versatile JAG and Ruckert is still mostly an unknown who has shown only flashes. The balance of NFL defenses seems to favor the smaller and speedier linebackers so a regular rotation of 12 Offense makes a lot of sense, you just can't do that effectively with JAGs and unknowns. This guy could be on the field for 3 consecutive plays and never stay at the same position.

As far as the current CS not being able to use him effectively, coaching staffs (especially the Jets) are innately temporary and a top 10 pick needs to be made with the future of the team, not the CS, being accounted for. Joe made this mistake with Becton. And with McDonald. He needs to stop that and take the man among men (who likely won't even be there and will make this argument moot) instead of taking an OT that will ride the pine for most of the season and hopefully be above average.

If it's a choice between Bowers or one of the top receivers that will probably not fall, then I think I can see the WR argument. If the unthinkable happens and Alt falls, bye bye Bowers. But you can't just draft for need at 10 no matter the self-convincing people do about arm length.

REVISion and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's not just JetXFactor, PFF also has him at 22% contested catch rate, which is low: https://premium.pff.com/ncaa/positions/2023/REGPO/receiving?division=fbs&position=TE

Why don't you review All 22 for yourself:

JetsXFactor is a reputable publication and you can see the actual plays. Let me know what you think.

And again no one is saying the guy is not a good player or cannot be a good NFL player. Just that there are some red flags, which need to be considered right there in analytics and film both, and he is not this can't miss prospect some say. he is.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

I watch college football every week and I’ve watched a ton of him. A bunch of his highlight reel plays are contested catches. This is a short one that showcases that.

He’s not Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham. He’s 6’4”, not 6’7” so obviously he shouldn’t be expected to be thrown jump balls in the corner of the end zone.

This comes back to your antiquated thinking of what a tightend is. Forget what position he’s listed at - he’s a big fast effective ball catcher that gains yards after the catch. He’s not gonna look like tightends from 2003 did on his film reel.

#364 Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 7, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well sorry for my boring read. But then again it's the Jets we are talking about not a lot of excitement coming from them in decades. Maybe some luck is due for the Jets just not with Saleh.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If you want to want to hang your hat on highlight video, which is a collection of best plays, that's fine. I know you watch tons of College ball, and I respect your opinion. However, I looked at all 22 myself, which is supported by analytics as well, and they guy is not a great contested catcher. I can see some red flags, just like in some other top prospects as well. He is not can't miss to me, and I would be disappointed id he is our pick at 10, we can disagree on that. As far as antiquated thinking about TE position, I don't think so. The transition tag is literally double for OL and WR than for TE. That's not 2003, that's 2024.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s not supported by analytics. It’s supported by subjective opinions that are tagged as analytics.

The bold makes no sense as a rebuttal to what I said. Literally zero.

8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I've been watching some of these prospect film videos and I think there is a lot of overthinking going on with a lot of these guys. To much time to kill and too few guys to analyze.

Encouraging to me is that a lot of the trendy film analysis is to poke holes in Alt and while conceding he "never makes mistakes" etc make a big show of putting someone else over him as your #1 guy. Talk about overthinking.... as Jets fans I think we can all agree that the guy that never makes mistakes, is the hardest worker, and nearly technically flawless is maybe somebody the Jets should be signing. Lets hope that is happening in real NFL film/draft rooms so maybe by some miracle he'll slip to #10.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Sure, it's all subjective, but it is provided by a reputable analytics company PFF. Frankly, what you said about 2003 had literally zero to do with anything I said. Asking to forget he is a TE makes no sense either, even though that seems to be a popular take to literally pretend Brock is something he is not. I do like the YAC, and get your conviction that he is generational talent, but there is enough actual all 22 film I have watched by now where I am not ready to say he is sure to become a Kittle just yet. I like him, I think he is a good prospect and has a good chance be a fine NFL player. But I do not like him for us at 10, and I want the Jets to go elsewhere with the top pick to address OL or if not, then WR.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the whole point of his “game” is that he doesn’t have to make contested catches because he gets open.

Gates and Graham could pluck it out of traffic better but they were not as good at getting open

chandler and REVISion like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

so true - “he never makes mistakes. There must be something wrong with him” haha

12. BrowningNagle

it’s such a weird take too from Nania. He mentions the contested catch thing and then says something about red flags implying there’s something different but there’s not

and anyway when the hell did a weakness become a “red flag” ? Internet talk.

Every player has strengths to emphasize and weaknesses to work on.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And again, even if we concede that he's "Kittle II", the need for a stud OT is still greater than having a great TE for this team.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, one can watch him play at UGA and see that he was very good at the collegiate level in an offense that was designed around him and what he does well. That doesn't mean for one second that he will be good in the NFL in an offense that not only isn't designed around him, but one where the OC is a completely incompetent boob.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Did you just admit Bowers has weaknesses? This has been added to your permanent record!

The draft cannot come soon enough...

16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

I can’t believe you all forgot about the huge Kuntz we have on the team

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No rookie T taken in this draft is going to help this team and be a stud this year in a 1 year window to go win.

REVISion likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

duh dude everyone has weaknesses. I never said otherwise

19. BrowningNagle

when you use italics and underline you know it’s an important point lol

dawinner127 likes this.
  20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Almost as good as that one poster who kept putting random words in ALL CAPITALS to put EMPHASIS on CERTAIN things. Lol