Jets trade for Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Oct 7, 2009.

1. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Banished to a winning team. I'll take that punishment any day.

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

It's not a DUH if it hasn't happened yet. So does that make you said idiot?

3. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

haha he just flew in from march of 2010 in his Delorian.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

yes, I'm sure that is a determining factor for LeBron.

dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

5. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Very excited! Let's hope Rex can bring out his truer potential.

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I love this trade. Stuckey was a decent player, but we won't miss him much since we got a better player that plays the same position. On a smaller note, we don't have to cut anyone now for the return of Pace, although losing Trunsnik kind of sucks.

7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

LOVE THIS TRADE.

Didn't give up a 1st or 2nd rounder, got a #1 receiver. Not the WR position, instead of being below average is above average with one move.... Not a good move,,, a FANTASTIC MOVE !!!

8. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

You can also toss 4 and 5 in there as well since they'll be linked directly with how he performs. Assuming we would've pulled this trade for Chad Ochocinco (as much as some hate him on here) it would've made more sense and would've been a better investment than a very questionable Edwards.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Per KFFL:

Jets | W. Wright could receive more snaps
    Wed, 07 Oct 2009 06:24:01 -0700

Mark Cannizzaro, of the New York Post, reports New York Jets WR Wallace Wright could see more reps as a slot receiver after the team traded WR Chansi Stuckey to the Cleveland Browns for WR Braylon Edwards. Wright had developed strong chemistry with QB Mark Sanchez during training camp.

10. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Sucks for Clowney. Hollllaa!!

11. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Screw the Knicks, I never liked Lebron or the idea of him being a Knick.

On top of that the Jets come first!

Great trade and what a way to wake up!!

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Well you were the one arguing about Edwards better production than Cotchery, so i was pointing out it won't happen again this year, for all the reasons I posted. Next year will be the real test to see who is the #1 and #2 based on production on the same team...

13. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I like this, always been a fan of Wright and his work ethic!

14. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

By Rich Cimini

The following is a column I had been working on, written yesterday, regarding the Jets' situation at wide receiver. Unfortunately, it never got into print, but I thought it would be useful in this space, explaining why they needed to make a trade. I didn't change a word from yesterday, scout's honor.

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum has made a bunch of smart moves since the end of last season _ changing coaches, trading up for Mark Sanchez and importing the gang of Ravens on defense _ but he dropped the ball by not replacing Laveranues Coles at wide receiver.

The lack of a proven threat opposite Jerricho Cotchery shows up every week, and it has a trickle-down effect on the rest of the offense. The Jets are seeing a steady diet of eight-man fronts, which makes it harder on the offensive line, which makes it harder for the running backs, which ultimately makes life tougher on Sanchez.

So now the line is taking heat for not living up to lofty expectations, and Thomas Jones is getting criticized for a mediocre 3.8 average per carry, but the truth is the lack of production goes way beyond individual failings or the shortcomings of one unit.

With a rookie quarterback, and without a burner to complement Cotchery _ the double whammy _ the Jets are a relatively easy team to defend. They get man-to-man coverage on the outside, with a safety in the box. They don’t see as much Cover-2 as last season, when Brett Favre forced defenses to respect the downfield passing game. That eased the burden on the line and created running space for the backs.

Now every yard is a struggle, with defenses smothering the line of scrimmage. Such is life with a rookie QB.

“I think there’s something to that,” said offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, adding with a laugh, “I think it’s something to do with Rex (Ryan) talking about ‘Ground and Pound’ all the time.”

Cotchery is having a career year, but it seems like most of the passing game runs through him. He has caught 23 of the 34 balls thrown to him (68%), while Chansi Stuckey, Brad Smith and David Clowney have combined for only 14 catches out of 33 throws (42%). That indicates they’re not getting open. They need more balance.

Tannenbaum knew this could be a problem, which explains why he has been linked to practically every big-name receiver that has become available since last spring _ Plaxico Burress, Anquan Boldin, Percy Harvin, Brandon Marshall and Michael Crabtree. (The 49ers charged tampering with Crabtree.)

The Jets’ GM opted to stand pat with Cotchery and the kids, but it’s not too late to do something about it. The trading deadline is in two weeks, and Tannenbaum should call his old buddy, Browns coach Eric Mangini, to see what it would take acquire the talented, but troubled Braylon Edwards.

Mangini gave the Jets a sweetheart deal to make the Sanchez trade possible, so he might be understandably reluctant to send a former Pro Bowl receiver to his old, but it’s worth a call. Edwards is playing (and misbehaving) his way out of Cleveland, so maybe they could get him on the cheap.

15. nyjrkm06

nyjrkm06 Active Member

we needed another proven wr

16. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

He has speed too, he's been a great gunner for the special teams.

17. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He'll be catching TDs next August.

18. aychichi

aychichi Member

It should be every Jets fans birthday. Those being negative are just plain stupid

19. blue916

blue916 New Member

Wallace Wright would give us great overall size at the WR position along with Edwards.

20. GroundandPound

GroundandPound New Member

What round draft picks are we giving up?