jets to trade up to #2???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CmartinHOF, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Also Eli was WAY more established as a prospect than Jay Cutler is. Tough comparison to make.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am not talking about Jay Cutler bunkie. I have been talking about swapping picks with the Saints in the last two posts I have been basically directing at you.

3. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I agree. The pieces are all falling into place. Mangini knows we need a QB and I have a feeling Leinart is the guy he wanted all along. We have to do whatever we can to get him because we won't be in this good of a position again next year to draft a franchise QB. We have the #4 pick and trade bait in Abraham (not directly but getting the picks to trade up) that can get us to number two. Let Chad or Ramsey start the season and then halway through get Leinart in there. If we find a QB we aren't as far off from competing as people think.

4. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

For what though, our number 4 and who? Not Abraham unless we get someone from them.....

5. PennyandtheJets

"IMO the Saints and the Jets are going to swap picks...The Jets will end up with Leinart.

Trading up isn't for suckers...the Giants went 5-11 the year they traded up for Eli, but then this past year they went to the playoffs...

I think if we make a move NOW at a QB, we can be back in the party by 2007."

I wrote that on the last page...somehow you confused Cutler with Leinart.

6. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

We either stay where we are or we trade down. Trading up would be very wasteful and very Herm-Bradway-like

7. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Yeah and Leinart is a better prospect the Eli ever was.

8. Imagesrdecieving

Did you mean to put Leinart's name here when you said Cutler?

If so(cough, cough) - I think he has a much better shot to be successful. But again - I am not interested in moving up. Sucker Move in such a deep draft.

9. PennyandtheJets

It's true that they were more talented then we are now, but the point is they needed a QB and they got him.

We need to do that before we spend a top 10 pick on a TE. I doubt I am in the minority on this one.

10. nyjets2823

nyjets2823 Member

i want matt.. i have said all along the problem with this franchise is that we dont have anyone to structure our team around and matt is they guy... i would say trade our first and hopefully 3rd but i would be kool with second ONLY! if we can trade abraham for a top 20 pick imagine what are team could be like next year we can draft like a guy like mcneil or sompthing or even lawerence maroney with matt leinart!!!

11. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Good comeback:up: :beer:

12. PennyandtheJets

Dude...you are getting me so confused...

I was talking about Cutler THERE...because you made the assumption that he was a second tier QB when we have no idea what he will be.

13. PennyandtheJets

Sucker move huh? How about a sucker move is to fall in love with a TE who ran a 4.38 at the combine...yes it is very impressive no doubt, but speed isn't everything.

14. Imagesrdecieving

alright to end the confusion - here is where I stand(and thus where i believe we disagree)

I don't want to trade away assets to move up in a very deep draft. Hey the Giants traded up for Eli but they might have been better off keeping all of their picks and going with Roethlisberger, no?

I don't want to take Cutler at #4 as I am not sold on him being that great of a QB. Maybe he will do more at private workouts to justify it. But right now all that he has done is impress for a week at senior bowl practice(wasn't even that great in the game itself).

I want to trade down and take the BPA. If it winds up being Vernon Davis then so be it. The NFL is changing and TE's are becoming very integral to an offense. The man would give our offense an instant identity. Having the whole middle of a defense focusing on one man sure does open things up for everybody else.

15. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

16. PennyandtheJets

I stopped reading after the Ben Rothlisberger thing. Big Ben was so successful right away and this past year because he was on a fantastic team that didn't require him to do a whole lot. Now let me read the rest of your post...

17. PennyandtheJets

I can understand your concerns for Jay Cutler and I also can understand you desire for trading down to get the BPA...But to take a TE even if he is the BPA...just doesn't sit well with me and I am sure plenty others.

In the end I think the Jets will move up and take the best QB in the draft. Trading up may seem like such a big loss because you lose a few picks, but when that player pans out it is always worth it.

18. Imagesrdecieving

How much do you think it will cost to move up? Using the Giants as comparison(#1 vs #2). They swapped picks and then gave up a 1, 3 and 5. You would be willing to give up anything in that ballpark? Not me. Not with our need to build.

P.S. Ben probably would have had the same amount of success as Eli in NY. With Eli's consistency do you think he would have had the same success with Pittsburgh? That'a almost worthy of it's own thread right there!

19. PennyandtheJets

It's impossible to guess, but I know that Eli would have had a REAL solid year this year if he played for Pitt...Would he have taken them to the Super Bowl? Probably not because Ben is special. But I think they are both on the same level of talent, Eli is just taking longer to develop which is normal...what Ben did was unbelieveable.

20. Imagesrdecieving

So you have two players on the same talent level but one cost 4 picks and the other cost one?

No trading up!