Jets to officially cut Brandon Moore

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsrule, Feb 22, 2009.

1. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Yes. 132 tackles, 2 FF and an INT for a MLB is decent. So Bart Scott's 82 tackles, 2 FF and 0 INTs are terrible.

Opinions are subjective I guess. I still maintain that Vilma was one of our better players. His last season with the Jets was marred by injury, and, again, he wasn't productive in Mangini's 3-4.

2. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Exactly. :metal:

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Maybe we should have kept Adrian Clarke in there...just for the sake of continuity.

I hate to see Moore go, but its part of the business. With him leaving, we will be signing a very good veteran. That's about $5.5 million in cap space, enough to strike a deal for a solid LB. Add another $7+ millions we saved or will save for Barrett, Bowens and Baker. Thats almost 13 millions saved. Thats enough for two quality starters, or one superstar plus a decent starter/backup.

The killer with Moore being released is that he will only be making less than $1million next yr. Thats a huge bonus for us not to release him. Its a bargain you should never give up in this salary cap era of NFL. I think the best way to handle this would be keep it the way it is. It's not really broken so don't fix it. If you are going to save about $5million on his contract, you will probably atleast spend another 3,4mil for a good replacement. Not much of a saving for this yr.

They only bad part about it is, Moore will demand 'moore' money next yr. He will never take $918k in 2010 and remain a starter. So whatever we do, will not really impact things much as far as the salary cap is concerned.

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

This is the answer to a possible replacement...

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Because Stats tell the whole story? Erice Barton put up 119 tackles this season. More then Bart Scott and Ray Lewis. I guess he's better then both of them huh? Or perhaps stats do not tell the entire story.

Vilma racked up big numbers while playing in a bottom half of the league run D. He is good at going side to side and making a lot of tackles after the play is 3 or 4 yards past the line. Whoop de freakin do. He's not a game changer. rarely ever gets a scak or interception. Strikes fear into no one. He's a nice guy, works hard, and is an average MLB for a 43 team.

6. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

The CS have a plan in place. It not like a Kendall situation. Moore isn't confrontational, he not publicly displaying his dismay for the organization. They prolly feel that for the money, they can replace him easily. I hope thats the case, but i'm not against this move. Wouldnt be surprised to see the Jets draft for that position.

7. pender30

pender30 Member

Has anybody seen anything that says we have actually let him go? Maybe we're working on keeping him. I think it's odd that the story broke so long ago that we were letting him go, but that we haven't gotten official word it has been done. Maybe they just want to keep him under contract for as long as they can so if other teams talk to him its tampering.

8. Long Time Jet Fan

Yeah, their whole strategy is based on trying to get a tampering charge against other teams. Hope it works. :rofl2:

9. pender30

pender30 Member

That was a joke, but I still haven't seen anything official that we let him go.

10. Long Time Jet Fan

I'm sure the reason nothing is official is that they are trying to restructure him. If they can't get a deal they like they'll let him go. It's clear they are not going to pay him a $7M roster bonus and that's the right decision. They have bigger needs.

11. pender30

pender30 Member

Maybe Rex held Tanny upside down out a third story window and told him very calmly that he'd like to run the ball this year and that maybe Mike should re-evaluate letting Brandon Moore go.

12. Long Time Jet Fan

My guess is that the move it totally Rex' call. It's clear he's putting his stamp on the team. Because I've done it twice already I'm not posting it again. But there are very good reasons for not paying an average offensive lineman a $7M roster bonus.

13. cxhannan

cxhannan New Member

Replacing a guard is much easier than a tackle. Honestly I like Moore, but our oline is eating up way to much of the salary cap so this move is necsessary.

14. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

exactly what I was thinking. He is not worth $5-6mm per year and can easily be replaced. He was asked to renegotiate and did not. Remember we can draft a RT and slide Woody over too to his more natural position...

15. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I don't recall that ever being the general consensus, at least definitely not in any year within 2005-2008.

I'm not a fan of this move at the moment, but we'll see what happens (if it does happen).

16. Spikester

Spikester New Member

yeah, i guess if this was the plan i would be ok with it, maybe we want to get some money for a big offseason pickup but i dunno. at this time it seems odd, especially after how well the line did this year overall

17. Phear

Phear New Member

Fact is there is way too much money invested in our oline right now. with all the holes we need to fill, moore is not worth the cap hit and can be replaced. It did not take too long for the online to jell bringing in 2 new offensive line men, bringing in 1 should not be a big deal.

18. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I'm not a fan of this. As stated by others earlier, continuity on the line is key, and Moore was solid last year.

That being said, if we have the inside track to sign Jason Brown due to his Baltimore ties, by all means do so. He's an up and coming young guard in this league and should at the very most come at the same price as Moore, while getting younger and upgrading as well.

We still need some better OL depth, though.....

19. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I guess its a matter of how much $ you can spend on the offensive line. Its the reality of Football in today's world of caps. We are gonna have to find a cheaper guard. Its sucks, but it is what it is. I am sure the front office will replace him, lets hope its not a drop off and maybe he's a little better pass blocker.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Or we just cut him and then sign him to a cheaper deal just like they are hoping to do with Baker.