Jets to cut Brandon Moore?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kramer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Likely, if they cut him they'll probably try and resign him to a more cap-friendly deal but it's going to be difficult since anyone who needs a RG is going to be on him like pervs on schoolgirls. We better rework his contract because there's no one on the roster to replace him and there's no one in free agency who will be willing to equal his production for less money.

2. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

They'll rework the contract. The will agree on both sides. Someway somehow this will get worked out.

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If they can't work out a restructure, I'd just pay him. He's been very good for us..

4. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Post of the year?

So Brandon Moore is our best run blocker according to this source? News to me, and if true, why did we give Alan Faneca all that money? Or Damien Woody?

Moore's a solid guard I suppose, but he's never struck me as anything spectacular. If they can get his cap number down a bit Id be fine with him coming back, if they decide to replace him I wouldn't object to that so much either. There is life after Brandon Moore.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The guy was really good for us against the run. This is crazy if it comes true. Can't we have some damn continuity on the O-line damn it!!

6. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

I don't understand why he would agree to rework his contract. If him being cut makes him the top guard prospect in FA then wouldn't he make a lot more money going to some other team desperate for a guard? I really hope we keep him even if we have to pay him the 7 million.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He would agree, because we can convert the 7 mill to signing bonus instead of roster bonus and spread the cap hit out. Its not as if he's taking less money. Moore is a sloid Guard, but not worth the 7 mill cap hit.

8. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

They are not going to pay him a $7M roster bonus. He restructures or he's gone.

9. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

easy - convert the roster bonus (which hits entirely this year) to a signing bonus (which is prorated over the life of the deal)

I'd much rather keep Moore and have some continuity on the OL

10. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

I don't like the idea of releasing Moore, he is very good for our run game and that's clearly going to be the foundation of Ryan's offense.

11. Quack

Quack New Member

Every time a newspaper interviews the offensive line, the OTHER linemen call Moore the best run blocker. This is not a random person saying this as opinion - It is well known fact by now.

12. ........

........ Trolls

Ugh. I can only hope this is posturing by the front office to show that they're serious about releasing him. I'd really hate to lose B Moore. Anyone have numbers on how much of his bonus could conceivably be converted? I know there are percentage caps...

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

No way you cut Moore... he's still young for a guard at 28 and is a really good run blocker. If we are looking to be a run oriented team why the hell cutting him?

14. PutJerrichoIn

PutJerrichoIn Member

I will not be happy if we cut a Guard in his prime due to the fact we broke the bank the previous year for one on the decline

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Moore know he has the Jets over a barrel. He'll get more than 9 mil for three years if he gets released, and he (and his agent) know it.

The Jets will have to sign him for more than 3 years, maybe 4, and give him a raise in order to get him renegotiated. That would delay the cap hit and spread it out.

If the negotiations go nowhere, the Jets could just decide to eat it and keep him... unlikely, but possible.

16. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Yeah, we need to either renegotiate or eat it; we cannot afford to lose him, mainly because he's good and that'd create another hole to fill. Even if Turner or Hunter (is Bender still here?) can step in, we still have to get someone for depth because, right now, those two are our only depth.

17. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

I don't see how this can work out.

Moore knows that he would get a ton of $$ on the open market if he was to be released...

18. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's pretty obvious he's got us by the curlies. There is no real incentive for him to spread that roster bonus out; as the last years of his contract aren't guaranteed, he would be taking a chance on losing money that would have all been his had he played under the current contract. An extension is one bone we'll probably have to throw him, but is it possible to guarantee a signing bonus? That could definitely sway his decision. There's also the possibility that he pulls a Randy Thomas, but somehow I don't think his value is nearly that relatively high.

edit: brainfart, he'd get the bonus money this year whether roster bonus or signing bonus. Tanny must've done that knowing that if he sucked, he could be cut with out the signing bonus repercussions, or keep him and presumably do what we're all thinking...see my next post->

#38 brothermoose, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  19. 624

624 Banned

I agree 100%

20. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Jets to release guard Brandon Moore
    by Dave Hutchinson
    Friday February 20, 2009, 6:18 PM
    The Jets, continuing a dizzying salary purge, plan to release right guard Brandon Moore, according to a person with knowledge of the team's thinking. The move saves the Jets roughly $7 million in cap space and the team is now approximately $27 million under the projected 2007 salary cap of $124 million.

Moore, a six-year veteran, was scheduled to receive a $7 million roster bonus on March 5. The move to jettison him was a surprise since he was the Jets best run blocker and new coach Rex Ryan plans to run the ball next season.

Moore, 28, is expected to be one of the top guards on the free agent market and will cash in big. A former defensive tackle, he was a five-year starter.

The decision comes on the heels of the Jets officiallly releasing veteran tight end Chris Baker earlier in the day.