Jets target QB Kitna

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by O'Brien7, Mar 3, 2006.

1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Well now, where are all the people who told me I was crazy for saying to pick up Kitna as a FA back in November? I have been talking about this since mid-season, and now all of a sudden it's some big new shiny idea? LOL.

Anyway, Kitna is better than Ramsey for us. To bring in Ramsey, we would be looking at something semi-long term (3 or 4 years.) Kitna is a band-aid to get us through the wait with Chad and the grooming of the next QB we draft. I say draft the QB next year and keep BB, Penny and Kitna. Or grab a later round QB this year and chance that (I still would like to bring in Croyle.)

2. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

All reports are optimistic about resigning Chad. So the only way i see them signing Kitna is if they do not draft a QB or if they release Brooks. If I were them, I would sign a Kitna or Ramsey, along with Chad's pay cut and sign and I would avoid a QB in the draft. I am just not crazy about Young or Cutler, if they could get Leinart I may do that. If they take any QB, I would not mind Coyle in the second round, but since I have not heard his name at all in NY, this is a longshot. Man, there are so many options.

3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

If the Jets do sign him do you think he'll wear his infamous "cross cap" and lead the new york media in prayer at the press conference?

4. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

This is exaclty what I'm thinking... and why we go OL or RB with the 4 pick or trade down, aquiring picks, and still targeting those 2 positions.

Ellis

5. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

If I had to wager, I would bet you are right on this scenario.

6. The Offseason

The Offseason New Member

I'd be happy with Kitna for the short-term. Anyone who watched the Bengal's playoff game knows he's still got some stuff left in him.

7. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Good idea. We could use a lot of prayer!
    And welcome to the board.

8. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Very true, his biggest downside is that he has a habit of throwing picks and most of the time in critical situations.

9. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I really have to side with this. I think this is the year to map out a longer term plan. The talent pool at QB is not going to be as strong next year other than Quinn. The time to commit to this is this year. Bringing in an older vet does not give us the amount of time I think we need. We need to establish rhythm with one guy at the helm.

I was favoring a running back a month or 2 ago but I don't think we get the biggest return there. Bush (counted him out of our eyes in December), DeAngelo Williams, or White will be very good; I just don't see them as addressing our immediate needs.

#29 GreenHornet, Mar 3, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  10. jetfan2k3

jetfan2k3 Member

keep pennington and see how he has progressed...i also think they should get kitna as a back up if not starter..... and as for bolly i dont know but i wouldnt mind keeping him... if we dont draft a qb this year im pretty sure there can better qb's out there for us.

11. pisano24

pisano24 Member

Indeed!! We need to draft the QB for the future now!!

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

To advocate taking a QB next year is to resign oneself to a strategy that has us delaying being contenders for yet one more additional year. I'm of the opinion that we're not contenders in '06 but that it may be possible in '07. By "contenders" I mean, in the playoff hunt somewhere. Fell like making that '08 or '09 for some reason. Why?

I think with the CBA going the way it is and a possible year approaching in which there may be no cap (what a wild thing that would be), coupled with what free agency is today, the possibilities exist that a team like the Jets can bebound in as little as two years. We may even surprise a few people this year.

So to go into a draft heavy at O-line and sitting at #4, with three decent, talented QBs on the board and an almost guaranteed given that RB Reggie Bush will absorb one of the first three picks, one of the QBs will be available to us at #4 and this is a no-brainer.

Put it off 'till next year and you may be sitting with a #16 pick instead of #4. Then you've got to get into a bidding war and pull a DeWayne Robertson and spend twice the "draft capital" you could've spent this year to get the job done (a year earlier). The unbelievable O-line depth in this draft is such that we will be able to more than adequately fill this need in later rounds after using our #4 on a QB. We lose nothing in that process, IMO. The dropoff from Ferguson to the next B/A O-linesman is not worth the #4.

Additionally, the NFL landscape is such that a team like the Jets (perticularly the Jets, who, in my opinion were not as much of a lousy, untalented team this year as they were more of an injury-decimated team) can rebound in as little 1-2 seasons. Why, if you're sitting at #4, would you want to do anything other than select the QB this year? Come on!

13. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

If we keep penny why not get kitna and ramsey? All 3 can battle and we would have 3 QB's that can start. That is if the money is right. Penny can be the 3, and ramsey can battle it out with kitna.. Well atleast until penny's arm is fine.

14. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

why are so many people in love with ramsey, he wasn't that good when he actually played. kitna would be a solid pickup and would be 10x better ramsey. believe me when I say this you don't WANT ramsey....

ty!

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

The Voice of Reason :up:

I agree, With the Talent Of QB's this year, and the chance to grab one , you do it.
    Even if Penny Plays 16 - Playoffs is not a reality.
    He gets Hurt (Again, Likely) We have Brooks (Again)
    And we'll have a Rookie QB sitting gettin ready for 07'

Now, If you wanna Draft a QB and Get Kitna, Go ahead. Either way. Drafta QB

16. bigoakley

bigoakley New Member

I like the Kitna idea a lot. As some of you have alluded to, that should mean that Pennington stays, which I want. So we'd have Penny, Kitna and Bollinger, plus if that Lions deal actually happens, the #4 and the #9 picks. We won't need a QB at that point, so we could realistically get D'Brickashaw and D'Angelo Williams or Lendale White. I'm hesitant to draft an OL that high, but it may be worth it. What else would you guys do with #4 and #9, knowing that we don't need to draft a QB (at least this year).

17. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

That is not the Voice of Reason... how much money do you want to tie up in the QB position... Do you think Kitna comes cheap??? and pay Pennington, and a top 5 QB... your NUTS. If we get Kitna, dispell the CRAZY notion of drafting a QB this year, because it won't happen... this is buisness, and that's what it will come down to...

Ellis

18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Kitna Will Come Cheap, If he doesn't then of course not. (Obvious to some) Especially since it will likely be a 1-2 year Cheap Deal. (He's old)
    Chad's not that expensive (After the restructure) and The Rookie will be playing in a year or 2.
    You're assuming Kitna will get big $$$. NOPE.
    Asuming Chad is still expensive? NOPE
    So it can be done.

That Said,
    I'd Rather Draft a QB this year and agree w/LTJF Hence "The voice of reason" (See his post)

19. bigoakley

bigoakley New Member

maybe the 4 and 9 are better spent on Vernon Davis and a RB? Davis could have Antonio Gates type impact and make things easier for Chad or Kitna. I don't think it's a coincidence that Drew Brees became a big time player during Gates first 2 seasons...

20. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

If we sign Kitna then I know our HC is going to suck. Kitna PLEASE give me a break.