Jets since 2015...Macc really is a failure and should go if he fails again this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Another straw man argument. Who's saying Macc should've filled every hole? If there was somebody they were in the minuscule minority. No, there were more important holes to fill than DL...AGAIN.

But this isn't just about this past off-season, it's an indictment of Macc's entire tenure and his disjointed approach to filling the holes because he relies so much on BPA. "You are what your record says you are", and Macc has a decidedly losing record. He'd better hope that this suddenly changes this season. I'm sick of hearing that we're rebuilding. He's had five years to do that, more than most GMs get. If they aren't playoff contenders until the last game AT LEAST, he needs to be fired.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes absolutely correct..he could have traded up for a young player for the OL

I could certainly have lived without the rounds we picked Wesco and Cashman in..You are not winning the long term answer in your trenches by picking the greatest ST player out there and a blocking TE..SMH in disbelief

#162 NYJetsO12, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

First of all, pass rush was as glaring a need as any on the team. Q. Williams helps fill that need in a big way. I’m sick of hearing about how he was just BPA that didn’t fill a need. He was BPA by a country mile and helps fill a glaring need.

2nd of all, those complaining that center and CB are still needs are clearly expecting the Jets to have filled every need, isn’t that obvious?? Bottom line is Jets have far more talent than when they ended their season and the roster is starting to look pretty good.

I’ve said a number of times that It’s time to see results so I don’t disagree with you there.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we fire Mac, do we also fire Gase?

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Q, Williams fills "a very big need"??? Uh, Maccagnan used THREE picks LAST year (2018) on the defensive line. If you really think that the jets' "very big need" was defensive line in a 3-4 defense (where you play THREE DL), rather than their crap OL (where you play FIVE OL) and crap CBs and average WRs, then this discussion is useless.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. Attackett

Do you not think pass rush was a very big need?

Tell me what OL or CB you would’ve drafted at 3 overall?

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Not with these owners..Gase will get as much time as Toilet Bowles ...its only fair hehe

8. ColoradoContrails

We'll see. Leo was supposed to do that too. How well has that worked? The fact remains that Macc had a lot of "groceries" to buy, and he spent it a big chunk on filet mignon, when sirloin was available and would've allowed him to spend money on other items.

And again, had Macc had his priorities straight, he would've filled C and CB and Edge and wile we wouldn't have had the HOF player that Q. Williams is guaranteed to be, we would have less holes - note that I said LESS, acknowledging that there will always be holes, or positions to upgrade.

And again, the holes that remain are directly due to Macc's failures over his five years here. That's the point. If he had not made the bad decisions he made, he wouldn't have all those holes to fill, but that doesn't lessen the urgency that should be incumbent on him to start delivering playoff appearances. I'm not blaming him for not filling all those holes so much as blaming him for having all those holes in the first place.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I think you are confused. Macc hit on Shell, Luvu, and Robbie Anderson, not to mention he nailed it by trading the 7th rounder for Henry Anderson. Herndon was a top TE in the league for the last several weeks of the season when Sam was playing well. Maye is above average he was just hurt last year. Sorry, you can fault Macc for his poor 2nd and 3rd round drafting but he's well above average in rounds 4-7 and has yet to draft a 1st round bust, something most GMs in the league cannot say.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

That depends.That's a different yardstick. If Gase has them playing competitively and Sam thrives, even if they don't make the playoffs, that might be enough to justify letting Gase continue. But if the team struggles and there's constant in-fighting between Gase and Williams, they're floundering, then hell yeah wipe the slate clean.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Basing arguments on hypothetical "what ifs" is fallacious. If Harrison ends up being the long term solution, Macc will look like a genius for not blowing money on Paradis or Morse. You're not being angry except that you are LOL. You are assuming the worst case scenario and that's not a valid argument against him.

12. Sam Hammer

The blatant hate and assumptions appealing to worst case scenarios and hypothetical claims like "he should have traded down" is also mind boggling. People act like he can control what other teams want to do. He tried multiple times to trade in the 2nd round, but other teams didn't want to make that deal.

People act like it is simple and he should have done certain things just because fans want those things. Like I said, I'll be upset if the team does not take a big step forward this year. Judging him ahead of time before his picks have even played a snap is ridiculous. If he reached for a center in round 3 people would have been crucifying him as well for reaching instead of getting value at the pick.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

You didn't post this to me, but I'll chime in. I would've traded down and gotten picks to fill Edge, OL, and CB. If Macc couldn't get fair value for trading down, then I fault him again for screwing up his negotiation platform. How do other successful GMs always seem to be able to trade back and get their needs met? I guess the keyword there is successful.

And I'll loop back to a discussion that was held a little while ago about how draft stock is evaluated and rated, to point out that in every recent draft that I can recall, defensive players always seem to be the highest rated, and yet, oddly, and running counter to these evaluations, there are a lot of offensive players - OL in particular - that get taken in the mid to lower 1st round that make major impacts on their teams. Could it be that Macc just simply doesn't value OL/ Given his comments that he feels OL can be filled with lower round picks, it would seem so. That's why I and others have deep concerns about him as a GM.

tomdeb likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

First, I agree that it's not simple, nor can he force other teams to do what he want them to, but he's paid a lot of money to be able to make hard choices and get results.

And once he passed up his best chance of getting a 2nd round (or two) pick by not trading down from #3, it was almost impossible for him the be able to trade up into the second round with teams knowing he was desperate. Again, this is a failure that rests with Macc's decision-making.

You want to give him credit for trying, but trying doesn't get you wins, doing does. It's plain to see, based upon his record, where Macc has his priorities, and they're out of whack.

As to "judging him ahead of time", it's not so much judgement as it is expressing a fear that once again his picks either won't pan out, or won't be the "saviors" he seems to think they are. I hope he's right and I'm wrong. I hope - IN YEAR 5! - he's finally nailed it. But incremental progress won't be enough to meet that criteria.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Attackett

Well that’s where your wrong. Leonard Williams was not seen as even close to the pass rush prospect that Q. Williams is seen as. Go back and read the scouting reports on Leonard Williams if you choose, they are pretty spot on to the type of player we got. If Quinnen Williams lives up to his scouting reports we have gotten ourselves a great pass rusher.

I have said a number of times that I would’ve liked to have signed Paradis, he was a top priority for me. I can’t kill Mac though for not signing him without knowing the details of why he didn’t, which none of us know. Most of the reports say he wanted more of a country lifestyle, if that’s true then there wasn’t a damn thing Mac could’ve done about it. I wasn’t very high on Morse and certainly don’t think he was worth getting paid the highest contract for a center of all time.

He addressed edge in FA, unfortunately Barr wussed out and left the Jets at the alter. There also wasn’t much quality at the CB position in FA and they decided to sign Poole who looks to have upside and be a great fit in a Gregg Williams D.

I have also said I would’ve loved to have traded down. Do you know what offers were there for the 3rd pick? Did you see what the Steelers gave up to move into top 10? We would’ve all killed Mac if he gave away the 3rd pick for very little in return and rightly so. Q. Williams was a no brainer pick being forced to stay at 3 and yes he does fill a need.

16. Attackett

What GM traded back in the top 5? The first GM to trade down was Elway at 10 and he got very little in return.

Every draft is different, this draft didn’t have the QBs that teams were clamoring to have and therefore felt the need to trade up for. It’s unfortunate but trading down is not as easy as I want to trade down so I will.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  17. Sam Hammer

But again, you say this as if there were offers on the table for the #3 pick and Macc just ignored them. Who was really going to trade up there and give up good value for that pick? Murray was gone at 1, the Giants were happy with Jones, and Haskins fell all the way to 15. In what fantasy realm does this mythical trade occur?

I'm sorry, but there wasn't really an option there and I am perfectly happy drafting the best overall player in the draft at 3 instead of moving down. Blaming him for not trading down is ridiculous. He's a GM not a magician. He can't just force another team's hand to make a trade.

#177 Sam Hammer, May 10, 2019
    Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not basing my argument on "what ifs." Actually, you're the one who is doing that. There is nothing to suggest that he will succeed or wind up being the long term solution. He's never been good enough to start in his career, and been a backup behind some pretty bad players. You're assuming that he will be fine, and thus you're the one basing your argument on "what if." Until he proves otherwise, he will fail. The worst case scenario is the only one that one can rationally assume. It isn't just about not signing Paradis or Morse. There were other veteran centers available in FA that Mac could have signed to at least compete with Harrison and push him, even if Harrison beat them out. It's even worse because Harrison's backup was a PS squad player last year, and as far as I know, was never even activated. He's totally unproven as well. IMO smart GMs don't go into seasons with two totally unproven players at a key position where the player not only has to keep Sam from getting steamrolled, but also in making the protection/blocking calls.

At least in Roberts' case, he won't get anyone hurt if he fails. I've seen no one, not any poster here or any "expert" in the NFL or anyone in the media who thinks that Roberts is adequate for the #2 CB position. Like Harrison, one has to assume that he will fail until he proves otherwise.

I didn't say I wasn't angry, so your third sentence makes no sense.

Conveniently, you failed to address the most important part, and that is that the Jets had plenty of cap space and could have signed a young C and a young CB, that wouldn't have been just one or two-year stopgaps, but could have easily proven to be the long term solution, and he failed to do so, and didn't even sign a stop gap as insurance. He's also had a chance to sign some players this week that wouldn't count against compensatory picks, and hasn't done that either. It's like he's satisfied with the roster the way it is. IMO that's a big mistake.

If nothing else, Mac could have signed a couple of stopgap players at C and CB as insurance, and if Harrison and Roberts beat them out in a fair competition, then great. In that scenario, Mac would have looked like a genius. Instead, he just looks like an overconfident twit.

#178 NCJetsfan, May 10, 2019
  19. ColoradoContrails

There's a vast difference in value between the #10 and the #3. We don't know what Macc was offered of course, and maybe it was just really too little, but maybe he was just in love with Quinnen all along. If he was then he got his man, but it was an expensive appetite to satisfy. The team needed those 2nd rounders (or a 2nd and a high pick next year). Without knowing what he was offered and declined no one can say for sure of course. But I will continue to point out that this isn't just about this year - it's about his entire record and the choices he made up until now. He put himself - and the team - in a position where he had more needs than he had "currency". You can give him credit for getting a (potentially) great player, but he still is left with major holes that he could've filled had he made different choices over the past 5 years. He's acting as though he has an open-ended time frame to get this done, and he doesn't. Saying "...well it just didn't work out that way" ignores the fact that Macc has a direct say (not a total say) in how things "work out".

I guess we'll have to "agree to disagree".

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He said that as if there offers on the table for the #3 pick for a very good reason. That reason is that there were offers by teams to trade up. Mac admitted as much, he just didn't think the offers were good enough. He could have easily had a fair trade offer and gotten greedy. At least get the facts straight when trying to defend Mac and your position. So you're wrong. There were options there. Mac just didn't take them.