Jets SIGNED LeVeon Bell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what my original post was all about... that this is a great move because it gives Darnold a safety net and an option for some easy completions and a real threat in the passing game out of the backfield. linebackers/safeties need to account for him.

This only took a turn when someone found it laugable to suggest that Darnold was inaccurate as a rookie.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Be on this board when Darnold has a good game and we can talk. Don't be on this board just when he struggles or during the off-season.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Claiming a small statistical sample as a fact is at best a disingenuous intentional lie or you're dumb as rock.

Here's another stat. In Darnold's last 3 games of his rookie season he had 4TD 1INT and was 56 for 87 or 64.36%.

Does that mean he is an accurate passer? No it doesn't. You might be able to conclude he is a young QB on a bad team with bad to at best mediocre coaching who had a huge progression. It might be meaningless.

Fact the sky isn't actually blue. It's a multitude of colors. Blue just happens to travel a shorter distance and we see more of it.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There are a lot of very good WR prospects in this draft. If we can trade down and get a 2nd round pick, we can get one of them. We can still get a good WR prospect in the 3rd and maybe even the 4th, but not like we can in the 2nd.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'm not a daily presence on this board so don't know the root causes of any dispute between people but JerseyJay's completion % info seems at least relevant, and worthy of consideration

I also think the think the eye test is relevant. so many things seemed wrong last year starting with the snap, to poor talent, and tight windows (consistently) that it's tough to read too much into that

I'll reserve judgment for a while but feel optimistic about Sam. I'll take Gase's word for it

FWIW I live deep behind enemy lines in NE and local sports people think he has game (compliments for Jets don't come easy here)

6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Hot damn. Can I steal that?

7. 101GangGreen101

Completion % has a very small correlation to accuracy. You can scheme a QB to complete 60% of their passes (I.E. Cam Newton). Players drop passes, players run bad routes ... there is an adjusted % percentage, but the true indicator is by watching their throws and from there you can use stats to backup up your argument.

ColoradoContrails and chandler like this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Oh yes. Le'Veon Bell will increase his completion percentage. Not only a great RB with top tier field vision but he's as we all know, great receiving and catching out of the backfield and can run routes as crisp as top notch WR's. Get Bell into open space on the flats, screens etc it's going to improve Darnold's all around game.

Sam's play action will improve the most because of Le'Veon Bell. The threat of the play action is now a REAL thing.

ColoradoContrails and Mr mittens like this.
  9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Where is A.J Brown out of Ole Miss projected? I'd imagine late 1st early 2nd?

10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Inaccurate passers don't make throws into tight windows that Sam did. Don't make throws rolling right and left that Sam did. Hit players in stride in the hands like Sam did.

His completion % is going to increase a lot next year but that doesn't mean he's suddenly become accurate.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I like to think of a lot of INT's by rookie QB's is a sign of accuracy. I usually assume the CB are covering the WR. If you can't hit the side of the barn you probably won't throw a lot of picks. The picks are both a sign of accuracy and lack of experience with the tight NFL windows. I like that Darnold threw a ton of INT's and he adjusted late in the year.

12. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Hell, an interception can be an accurate (if bad) throw. The argument you are making isn't his accuracy, it is his completion percentage. I think all here would agree he had a bad completion percentage, partly due to bad throws, bad offense, bad skill players, him being a rookie.

I'm not looking up his "accuracy" stats, mostly because I'm lazy, but an inaccurate throw is off target, not incomplete. If Darnold doesn't see a Linebacker jumping a route, and he throws it right on the money to his receiver, but it is picked off or knocked down it is incomplete, NOT inaccurate. Not only incomplete, but a poor decision.

I think for a rookie on that team, Darnold showed decent accuracy, with mixed decision making. Hopefully, he can improve both.

13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Darnold made a handful of big boy NFL throws throughout the season with some serious touch shown on a few. A few deep to Robby, a few on the sidelines I think to Robby as well. I'm not even worried a little bit about his accuracy. When the game slows down and he has guys that are getting open, plus maybe the best checkdown option in the league, we probably won't be having an accuracy discussion.

15. 101GangGreen101

It'll increase easily by better decision making and taking what the defense gives you. I hope Sam learns about that a lot this off-season watching the tape. The game will slow down, there are many things that play into what completion % is, but @jerseyjay14 still doesn't realize this.

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Stats for stats sake
    [​IMG]

ColoradoContrails, Royal Tee and FJF like this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don’t worry about a rookies stats as a whole as much as I look at progress.
    Saying that Sam went from a few bad games to finish with 3 games in the 60s and the final game 57.7 at New England where rookies go to die.
    I can’t look at his progress and believe accuracy is going to be a problem going forward.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

A visual aid to what I just posted

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Knocking a rookie QB for putting up bad stats on a bad team is pointless.

20. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I've seen many qb's do way worse with alot more help than Sam did with pretty much no help.... In my opinion, Sam actually did fairly well given what he was dealing with.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

HomeoftheJets and Royal Tee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.