Jets sign Wadsworth

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Mar 26, 2007.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

again, thats not the point. if he makes the team, fine. thats great for him. if he becomes a solid 3rd down pass rusher..hey ill be happy. thats totally NOT the point.

i just think its hilarious that somebody would even mention the word "anchor" and "wadsworth" in the same sentence. "wadsworth" to "anchor" is like "ryan leaf" to "hall of fame". its just wrong. it doesnt fit. its uncalled for. yes, its insulting. he insulted the word "anchor" and "star" right there.

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

and if your wrong you'll try to avoid the topic of Wadsworth by all means, but believe me, your personality and this conversation is burned in people minds already and they will be seeking you out if and when you are wrong.

anyone can be a "I told you so" kind of guy...it doesnt impress me, neither does your knowledge

3. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Actually it is the point. Considering none of us saw him at the work out and he hasn't played in 6 years, NO ONE knows what he is going to pan out to be. He is as likely to be a TC casualty as he is to an "anchor." So arguing about an irrevelent 6th DE signing is as pointless as arguing about the water boy. Because no one really has anything to base it on, so you are arguing for the sake of arguing. It comes down too 1) is it a low risk move - yes and 2) do you trust Tanny and Manny?

As for me until I read this thread, I didn't care one way or the other about either the Hayness or Wadsworth signing, all I thought was "Who Cares." I will decide after training camp, until then an argument like this is idiocy.

#123 dabrowsk1, Mar 27, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  4. DaBallhawk

its not about trusting mangini. we will have about 100 players on our roster when training camp starts. you cant expect everyone to make this team. about 40 players are already guaranteed to make this team. i dont know the exact number but i dont expect our front office to cut another 15 players (from last season's 53man squad). now add the rookies (5-10)..so now were at 50. he will have to fight off another 50 guys for one of the ~5 spots on our team. special teamers. guys in their mid 20s in terrific shape with great strength and speed. wadsworth will turn 33 this year. his leg is about to fall off. he was out of football for about 7 years. in order to make this team he needs to play special teams as well. he needs to make an impact on special teams. thats what linebackers do. they play special teams. if youre a backup LB who cant play on special teams you wont make a football team. a backup LB who cant play special teams is as useless as a DT who can throw the ball. and wadsworth was a top draft choice. he probably never played special teams before.

there you have it. thats why i really doubt that this guy will make our team. its not because i hate him, no, its because i just dont see it happening. you guys act like all he has to do is walk in and WHAM, the jets will offer him a 7 year, 50 million contract...

5. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

Love this signing, and the whole recruiting and scouting mentality behind it

6. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Did you just not read what I wrote, or do you just like seeing your name on posts?

Who ever said you hated him? Who ever said he is going to walk in start, make the team, and get a huge contract? In fact I said I could careless about this signing. Where do you get this garbage?

But the fact is no one on this board has any idea how he will turn out. He can bust or be great, no one was at his workout. So their evaluation at this point is just as credible as yours, but you and your buddy joesmoe39 act like yours is the only crebible opinion and anyone else is talking out their asses.

7. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

WOW he's back?

He had some bad injuries, but when he was at FSU he was the number one DE in that draft. He was a BEAST at FSU... If he has any of the athleticism he once had Im certainly happy to give the guy a shot to make this team. Wanna talk explosive, this guy was supposed to be like a merriman. too bad for the bad injuries... I hope he can help us, I really was amazed by him in college....

p.s. From what I hear he tried out for both the TB bucs (wanted to sign him, but knew the jets were gonna sign him first so never offerred) and the Jets. He showed up in amazing shape (shoulda seen him in college, has hoses in his arms) weighing about 280 lbs which right where he weighed in his SR year where he registered 16 sacks in 11 games and was the best DE in college football. At FSU he was not a scholarship player in the beginning, he was a walk-on. The fact that he was a walk-on, came to the camp in amazing shape and his college stats fr-sr show me that this guy KNOWS HOW TO WORK HARD. You don't go from walk-on to scholarship player without some really hard work involved. He was also all-rookie, but the injuries started the next year and never stopped. This is also his second comeback attempt, for his last was cut short by an achillies tendon injury. Smart move by the Jets, he is a good character guy who will work hard, if he displays any of what he had at FSU or his rookie year then this could be one of the smartest moves ever, if he is old, rusty and is unable to make the team, no real consequence. We are really trying to PUSH the DE position, Mangini knows the deal. He knows that with a good pass-rush we can win this fucking division and more.

#127 Rictor33, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  8. mst3000

mst3000 Member

This has GOTTA be DaBallhawk's 2nd account...there's no way it's another poster.... :breakdance:

9. baamf

baamf Active Member

A small tidbit in Myers column concerning Wadsworth

"Mangini said he will play Andre Wadsworth at outside linebacker. "

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/myers/index.html

Doesn't mean much at this point and can surely change, but as of now EM is projecting him at OLB....

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why are you bothering?

11. CHREBETSTHEBEST80

CHREBETSTHEBEST80 New Member

i do remember this guy getting drafted i was like 8 years old. I remember he was supposed to be an amazing player. Maybe after a long break from football we can get 2 good years out of him before he hangs them up for good. I have a feeling he may have a 7-12 Sack season. Just my .02.

12. Chad Vs THe World

wadsworth a OLB? no way is that accurate

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Why? He's a great pass rusher and has the size to play OLB.

14. DaBallhawk

you want this one-legged dude to play DE in a 3-4 defense? come on.

15. Slagan7

Slagan7 Member

When i heard about Wadsworth, I figured I just jump on to ths site adn see what the concensus was. I didn't know too much about it him except for the injuries and that he was a third overall pick. I was greatly disappointed in some of the protocol of certain members here. You have a few guys who go out of there way presenting facts history links and opinions and such, then you have guys who just ignorantly start trash talking people. It just makes for a painful read, and is rather immature. Can we just keep it to football and not bashing? great.

16. baamf

baamf Active Member

Randy Lange put together a nice piece on Wadsworth for the home site. It's a pain in the butt to copy/paste from there so I'll just put the link.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show_permalink/wadsworth-tries-to-set-sail-once-again

Although I had to add at least this one quote....

"What they put me through was just so thorough. Watching film, talking with the coaches, there was just an excitement. I stayed so long that day I almost missed my plane. This organization seems like it's doing whatever it takes to win.

They're crossing every 't' and dotting every 'i'. If this is going to happen, I couldn't see a better environment for it to happen in."

17. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Can you tell how impressed sporting news are with the Jets? :breakdance:

18. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

there was a time when simeon rice and andre wadsworth were a great tandem in Zona... So please, don't say he wasn't any good if you don't know the facts..

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Ha Ha . this made me laugh :rofl: I'll bet this is one he thought he might never see again.

[​IMG]

20. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member