Jets sign Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

This is nonsense.

In the history of the NFL, no team has ever lost picks due to simply talking about a player under contract, which is technically "tampering."

Teams only ever lose picks when they talk TO a player under contract or his agent. We didn't do that (at least to my knowledge); our owner simply answered a question in a manner in which he shouldn't have. It's all semantics.

If you can find me one example of a similar situation in which a team lost any picks, I'll stand corrected.

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

If the Jets never tried to sign Revis, I don't think the league would have even consider tampering charges for Woody (at the time they were said, the Jets had no one running their organization and Woody was actually following the league's recommendation about how to make the hire by employing Casserly and Wolf). But now that they actually went and signed him, I guarantee the Jets lose a draft pick for Woody's dumbass remarks. Everybody in the league knows you're not allowed to talk about how much you'd like an impending free agent (who is currently under contract elsewhere) to be on your team; it's the very reason the rule exists. It's not the league's fault Woody is a clown.

EDIT:
    Straight from the NFL Anti-Tampering statement of policy in 2009:

Public/Private Statements.
    Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: “He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.”) All clubs should be aware that improper disclosure of confidential trade discussions with another club may be a violation of this section on prohibited public statements.

#522 Unhappyjetsfan, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  3. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Woody Johnson said nothing wrong to warrant a lose of a pick.

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

They are serious.

Dolphins are a big target with the Suh contract.

The league has sent officials out to one team already to investigate and plans on sending them out to a second.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nothing will happen with the tampering charge because the whole thing was meaningless to begin with but at the time the Patsies were trying to divert attention from their latest cheating scandal which is still being investigated, isn't it?

6. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

No team is going to get fined anything for leaking contract terms during the stupid Legal Tampering Period, bet.

7. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

on NFL insiders last night they said this shit is like a -5 on a scale of 1-10 in terms of importance

the NFL can't do shit with these early deals coming out and i doubt they can do shit because of what woody said

8. Charlie Kelly

They'll probably change their tune because Goodell is in Krafts pocket. And of course nothing will happen with the blatant cheating of the Pats

9. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

10. Charlie Kelly

11. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

yeah i just finished it and that's basically what i got from it

it didn't sway my opinion either way, we all here know revis is a top-tier, elite CB. it just put a little perspective on stuff

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

True, Revis is a money whore. He is only loyal to the Benjamins.

13. Charlie Kelly

Yeah i agree. I watched a number of his Pats games recently and he looks like his game has changed some, he's not as physical as he was with us but he is still better than any corner in the league imo due to his impeccable technique.

14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

The NFL makes me sick- send out cavalry for contract but can't seem to get anyone asking billion dollar super secure hotel for a video

But I'm addicted so I'm the idiot

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

So, how'd that work out for you?

16. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

since we have such a long term contract, and revis (praise, be his name) will most likely retire here... any chance in the twilight of his career he becomes and effective FS ala Ed Reed? he is a obviously good in coverage and a great tackler that way we get the most milege out of him.. I would say year 4 and 5 he may start to look like champ bailey out there...

17. Charlie Kelly

There's no way Revis will ever accept a position change to safety because it would affect his money and he really likes money. He'll probably retire a Jet but only because he'd sign a one day contract to do it. He is what he is, no reason to romance it

18. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

hes already signed through those years at 11m/per. if he can be as effective as ed reed was at FS, then he would be worth the 11m... it would actually make him more money to do that then to be cut because no other team will pay a 33 going on 34 year old 11m+ to play CB

19. Charlie Kelly

What I mean was that he's going to hold out in year 3, bet. That's what he does. He's not going to accept the terms of his current deal and is especially not going to accept a position change that will affect any future deal money.

I know it's fun to play mental Madden but in some cases and this one specifically it's never going to happen.

20. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Exactly. Johnson was responding to a question from a reporter regarding when Revis was an UFA the previous off-season. He responded that had he known that was what it would have taken he would have done and would loved to have him back. The context of the question was about the past not the future regardless of what tense Johnson used in his response. That is why this whole thing is just utter BS.