Jets sign Plaxico!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

FT GearPlaxico Burress will join the Jets
    Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2011, 9:31 AM EDT

Getty ImagesPlaxico Burress is about to become a New York Jet.

Burress, the former New York Giants receiver who spent two years in prison on a gun conviction, will sign with the Jets, PFT has confirmed.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Burress’s deal is a one-year, $3,017,000 fully guaranteed contract.

There was talk that the Steelers, 49ers or Giants would sign Burress, but the Jets make a lot of sense: Burress can play a similar role to Braylon Edwards, who isn’t expected to return, and $3 million for a year is less than they would have had to pay to keep Edwards.

The question now is whether Burress has anything left: He already looked like he was slowing down before he accidentally shot himself, and now he may be rusty and out of shape. We’ll see soon how Burress looks — in a Jets uniform.

2. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

did plax shrink in Prison? Oh ok

3. ........

........ Trolls

The health is the biggest concern, but it's also a concern that Strickland was healthy last season and underperformed for the Chargers. I think he fits better in Rex's scheme, though. Either way, we can't go into the season with Cole as our #4 and Lankster as our 5.

4. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Patrick Turner is also 6ft 5 and 220.

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

you didnt hear? B.B is a god at motivating players...

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I'd rather we overpaid for Edwards.

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I think he meant an actual good WR.

8. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

My opinion on why we didn't sign Braylon back.

Its simple why would we lock up 2 players for multiple years big money when either one is one strike from year suspension. God forbid both of them did something we would have been screwed.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This is a great move. He has a chip on his shoulder and a ton to prove and one year to get it done. It couldn't be better for the Jets and as everybody says Edwards wanted #1 money. The Jets like him but simple can't afford him.

10. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

Agreed. I hope I am wrong, but Plaxico has notoriously been, for lack of a better word, stupid and still seems to have a sense of entitlement about his profession and life.

I have other issues with New York's gun laws, and in particular Nurse Bloomberg's elitist position concerning the matter. However, no matter how you come down on the issue, carrying a pistol in the waistband of your sweatpants is a special kind of stupid, that Plax has certainly paid the price for between the wound and the jail time.

The thing I do like about this deal is it is a one-year deal and he will have to be on his best behavior (i.e. attending meetings, practices on time, not shooting himself, not spiking the ball while it is still in play, etc.) Maybe he TRULY is changed for the better and the Jets will benefit for it.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

What people on this board may not realize is that Plaxico was one of the more clutch WR's in the league before his jail time.

He's a young 34 year old WR for us this year. Has a lot less tread on his body than all other good WR's his age.

Add that to the fact that he's a proven big game performer and you have a very low risk, high upside signing.

Once he gets his timing down with Sanchez it's going to be same old reliable Plax.

He has the body type that lends to a long durable career in the NFL.

I could honestly see Plaxico play another 4-5 years in the league.

12. DanR

DanR Active Member

right?

Lol!

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think the word "overpaid" should be banned from this thread. There's no such thing as overpaying when it's a one year deal. Especially when the person we signed could give us the same production as they guy we would have had to pay over double.

14. ........

........ Trolls

We didn't overpay by much. For a FA receiver on a one year deal, this is close to market value even with the problems he's had. The market is rather inflated this year and there are very limited options for a player like Plax.

15. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I gotta agree with ol' Grimey on one thing. There's no way he pulls any of that baby shit on this team. Rex will call him out on any bullshit, and this is Sanchez's team. I don't think any offense player would stand for any fucking pettiness.

16. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

We didn't overpay at all. For anyone to suggest as much is out of their fucking gourd. That's the one thing I like about the deal.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Go Jets???

18. ........

........ Trolls

I don't know about that. His best back to back seasons did come in 2006-07, but he wasn't exactly lighting the league on fire in 2008 before the shooting. He looked a bit slower. He could be good for a couple of seasons, but I don't see him hitting 39 on the field.

19. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I think this move buys us another year to sift through the market for another big WR. Its also possible that Plaxico returns to his old form, but even if that happens, we'd still have to fight other teams for him next year, except at a higher price tag. We'll see on this one.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Is it me, or does no one factor in Tom Moore here...(And with Heap on the horizon, does anyone seriously think Schotty is not getting schooled, right now?)

Is it magic, that Indy just manages to get huge production (And Manning is part of it, NOT all of it) from every next guy off the bench?

It's systemic. And we just bought In. I love Edwards, but Plax will do nicely at half the cost.