Jets sign Plaxico!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 31, 2011.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

He's never been a speed guy, hes always been a size, strength and route running guy. Still a risky signing

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel too. Wanted Braylon back long-term, but if Plax can contribute consistently this season, then the signing is fine.

3. casman02

casman02 New Member

I wonder what kind of shape he is in. I do not recall hearing any reports on his health this offseason

4. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

That's exactly how I feel about Burress. I think this year he'll be a useful redzone target and be good in spot duty, but I can't see him being in football shape after 2+ years out of the game. However, I think his second year back in the league could be impressive (assuming he isn't over the hill at this point, he ain't young for a WR).

Still, Sanchez has a guy with one hell of a wingspan to throw fades to now.

5. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I also think that Mark has the balls to tell Plax to STFU in the huddle, when he starts crying that he was wide open, and didn't get the ball.

That seemed to be Eli's problem with him.

6. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Vick plays QB. Like I said, he didnt get shorter. He will still be a huge red zone threat even if he can't run at all.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

The only alternative would be sign a player the Jets didn't like to a long-term deal. They can only take the options available to them. Shitty situation but that's where it stands right now unless a big name gets the ax.

8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Well, he is recovering from a self inflicted bullet wound in his leg.

:grin:

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't everyone saying he wasn't even going to visit today? How bad have these reporters been?

10. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Heeya we go ahgain wit da jets!!! dey go ahead and rahplace a dagenerate drunken drivah ahfender wit a convicted felon!!! a FELON!!!da jets should change dere name ta da new yawk felons wit dis rahstah!!

back afta dis

did yoo know dat ray cateener haz maw dealerz dan da american league haz teems...MYBOCK....

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yup, as much as I loved Braylon and still wish we had him back, I feel a lot better when we have the ball in the redzone now.

I don't know how anyone can knock this signing. He has the potential to be a better #2 (maybe not in the numbers) than our #2 last year, he's costing us about $3-4 mil less and nothing is guaranteed past this year so if he doesn't pan out, we move on.

12. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Burress should be fine. He is better at everything BE did aside from blocking. If it works out, the Jets will just draft another big WR in a later round to develop for another year, if not, the Jets are either signing or drafting a WR early next year.

13. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I fucking love this move. This is exactly what Mark needs - a giant friggin red-zone target with an equally giant chip on his shoulder. And for people bitching about the one year deal thing, nobody was gonna sign this guy to more than two.

Limited risk, ridiculous upside.

Nice one Mike.

14. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know - is Plax an upgrade over Edwards - from an on the field standpoint?

Contractually, maybe.

I was getting kind of attached to Edwards.

15. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Really? Jets have taken a punt on a player who used to be very good but had a couple of years enforced break from the game, and who fills an obvious need for the team, Patriots have signed a malcontent who has already stated he can't play in your base defensive scheme and a receiver who is on a downward spiral.

I think we can still make fun of you just fine.

16. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This.

Another reason I'm not that worried about Burress being in shape is because Pitt spent so much time recruiting him. He must have worked out for them? The jets must have some good information that the guy is either in or close to being in playing shape.

17. ........

........ Trolls

He wasn't going to come visit today. He was on his way to SF this morning and the Jets called and made an offer without the interview. He turned back and is headed to Florham Park.

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That should be his main purpose. The Jets are paying him to be a redzone target. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cotchery retain his starting position.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I thought Braylon Edwards was he perfect complement to Holmes and that once we lost Aso he was gonna be here. I'm honestly confused about what happened, I guess he wants big money but honestly he deserves. I guess the concern is what he's gonna do once he gets his money

20. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

In all fairness, it's almost been that long for Haynesworth too. Plax is motivated. Haynesworth is just a fat slob, who stopped trying after getting a payday. Not sure why that will change now.