Jets sign Plaxico!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 31, 2011.

1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

This post is brought to you by the letter O.

Our top 3 receivers have first names that end with the letter O (SantoniO, PlaxicO, and JerrichO). What other WRs on the market have a first name ending in the letter O? Surely not BraylOn, who is close if not for that pesky letter N at the end of his name. Look no further than that letter N to explain why BrayloN is no longer a Jet.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I personally didn't want him here because he's 33 and out of football for 2 years, but I'm happier that Moss didn't come here, which has countered my dislike of the Burress signing into liking it.

But I agree with questioning his football shape. I don't see how he's going to be ready in a month.

The one plus - he's a great teammate. He keeps to himself, though. He's not much for rah rah, and being a cheerleader like Holmes is. They'll make a good odd couple.

He's also incredibly football smart. Eli Manning leaned on him to learn the nuances of the passing game. Plax can do the same for Sanchez. This signing goes beyond just looking for a #2 WR.

3. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Rando Moss?

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

This is how I feel. You have to wonder what was really going on bhind the scenes for the JETS to make this move :eek:hmy:

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yeah, we'll find out what he has today. My biggest concern is that he's only been out of prison for 2 months. Not even sure if he's been training with a WR coach since then, but to go from prison to an NFL game in 3 months is pretty crazy.

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

These are good points, especially the last one.

And let's not forget Tanny's purpose in this: he's still a cheap, talented, legitimate threat whenever he's on the field. I think, for the money (that can now be spent elsewhere), this is a great signing.

BTW fellas, I started a "Training Camp" thread in Jets Experience with a posting of the initial schedule. Anyone interested in going can check over there. This week, TC will be tomorrow and Wednesday at 2:15 PM in Florham Park.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

FAs can't workout until the 4th.

The good news is that the Jets also go into full swing on that day of TC.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

My guess is they were looking for a 2nd WR that is one of the best red zone targets the NFL has seen in the past decade that has stayed in top physical condition the past two years despite not playing any football. All for a reasonable price for one year at that, which gives them the option of bringing him back if he succeeds or cutting him if he doesn't.

So if that was the plan, they succeeded. But that's just my guess.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Jerry Rice played until he was 40. Now granted, he was totally done several years before that even, but it just shows that age in a WR is not as significant as we're making it out to be.

And does anyone really think there is even one DC in the NFL who is going to tell his DBs not to worry about Plaxico because he's 33 and been in prison for 2 years?

I don't think so. The more football he plays, the better "football shape" he'll get into. And the thought of keeping track of him and Holmes (and/or Cotch and/or Keller and/or LT) has got to be downright frightening for any defense.

10. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

from NFL.com: "Burress also appreciated how owner Woody Johnson and general manager Mike Tannenbaum met with him in 2009, despite his legal situation being uncertain at the time."

They put this into motion before the guy even went to prison. Mike T is some sort of football grand wizard.

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The tabloids here in NY are making it seem as if Burress only chose the Jets over the Giants because of money. I get that they're trying to placate Giants fans readers, but come on.

12. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Braylon > Plaxico > Moss

I guess we took a step back, but not as far back as it looked like it would be. Unfortunately you can't pay everyone. Hopefully somebody on the roster will step up and give us more than we expect in the passing game.

Judging from last season, it looks like Cro can be as productive as Brad was on kickoffs, and if we still use the Wildcat, maybe LT runs it?

#352 truthbtold, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  13. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

We took a step back but hey signing Braylon would have literally put us in salary cap hell, face it we didnt have money to sign Braylon so we had to settle for Plax the next best option. People say it took Vick a whole year to really learn how to play football again, he wasnt on the field that much as the 3rd sting qb and notice what position he was playing qb. The transition for Plax is going to be easier and Plax is gonna be on the field a whole lot, he's goin to be given the opportunity to play to show what he can do.

14. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Looks like Plax is going to play in the next game vs. Cincinnati.

How will the Bengals cover Holmes, Mason, Plax, Keller and Cumberland, with Greene, Tomlinson and Conner coming out of the backfield?

Did I leave anyone out?

15. 624

624 Banned

Dan DePalma, he's white.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Can the Bengals even cover Kerley and Patrick Turner? is the better question.

17. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Can someone slam Andy Dalton like Suh did.....

18. DanR

DanR Active Member

Nice, he looked great during practice as well. I'm amped.

19. NYJetsfan56

NYJetsfan56 Member

I want Kenrick Ellis to do that, or Ropati.

20. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

It's important that Dalton not get injured during the pre season so he can suck all year.