Jets Sign Montgomery

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Apr 10, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He’s the exact type of guy you want when you have a star RB already inked. 7-8 touches per game is exactly what he needs and he was being relied on in GB as a borderline workhorse back if I remember correctly.

At the end of the day it was his stupidity that got him the boot, not his skill. Not that that’s any better...

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

RB Coach Jim Bob Cooter and Gase should have a lot of fun working with Bell and Montgomery in terms of formations and targets for RBs. Cooter was instrumental in Theo Riddick's success back when he was with the Lions.

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I guess we differ in his value. I look on this as an upgraded Rawls signing. A camp body who can compete for the 3rd th spot. A guy who will need a really good camp to have a shot of making the team. Let's see the signing bonus and contract. That should tell us more.

This is the type of signing where McGuire and Cannons agents are likely doing high fives as it shows more confidence in both players than expected.

#64 Noam, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  5. BroadwayAaron

You can only hope that JBC has some sort of influence on Gase... moreso than that dope Dowell Loggains.

This is kind of confusing. By all accounts, Montgomery was brought here to be the 2. He's certainly better than McGuire (so far) and Cannon was going to have to fight for a roster spot as it stood prior to the Montgomery signing. If anything, McGuire and his agents should be feeling the heat this morning.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and FJF like this.
  6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Do we think this signing takes us out of the running to draft an RB? Surely Bilal is not being brought back.

Totally forgot we hired Jim Bob.

Post from a Packers fan on another forum I frequent:

"Jets should stick Ty Montgomery back at WR. He was on his way to being a stud there.

I was ok with him moving to RB but I figured he’d get motioned to wide out and get moved around the field to keep teams guessing. Instead we didn’t do anything creative with him and he just got beat up running up the middle and the whole thing ended up being anti-climatic. He’s a dynamic player tho and I’m sure he still can be."

#66 macbk, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    almbleamal, BudJet, Jets81 and 4 others like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, it seems we definitely differ on what kind of signing this is. I don't think it's a mere camp signing. You could be right, but with Montgomery having experience and having produced more than Cannon or McGuire, I think he was signed as the backup, and Cannon will be fighting for a roster spot.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Nice move. I don't think it moves the needle all that much, but he's probably better than Powell and definitely better than Mcguire.

9. Hes a guy you can use somewhere different every week depending on match-ups. Hes not a straight up RB who can fill in for Bell over a long stretch of games. Much better as a match up guy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He is a lot better than that, I would be worried if I was Cannon (who i like) but he is small and hasn't quite done enough to guarantee himself anything yet, McGuire has looked a decent back up RB so far but needs to step it up now and fight the challenge of Montgomery or he will slip down the pecking order and then gone. Montgomery offers good hands as an RB target and also he can return as well.

11. BroadwayAaron

I don't think we'll go RB unless it's a late round pick, and honestly with Bell only being 27, you shouldn't splurge on a guy that is going to have to wait until year 2-3 of his 2-3 year contract to be the full time guy. And if all goes according to plan, any RB we draft won't be "the guy" for at least another 5 years. Montgomery is also a more than adequate 2nd option.

I'd be willing to be Montgomery lines up at WR, TE and RB this season. I don't really like Gase, but I think he's smart enough to get people in matchups they can win. Montgomery is far from a stud but he can create a mismatch at almost any offensive skill position in the right package.

macbk likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yea, this guy was signed to be the number 2. Someone is heading to the practice squad

BudJet, K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

IDK what it is about McGuire, but I'd like to keep him on as RB3 if we can/if we don't draft a younger RB. With that said, I wonder what his trade value & Cannon's might be if. I assume 4th round or later?

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Good one year signing for a versatile player, but does this mean Bilal Powell officially hung up the cleats?

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think they'd get anything for Cannon. McGuire was a 6th round pick originally, and my guess is that's probably what they'd get for him. Maybe a 5th.

macbk likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think the Jets should get rid of Cannon and get a back that can punish defenders late in games, we need a bruiser.

Cannon is so overrated.

NCJetsfan and macbk like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

they were pretty stacked at WR. he was buried due to that. they had nelson, cobb, allison, adams so ty was a WR5 by default. adams, cobb, and nelson were all probowlers at one point. they also had a lot of RBs too (lacy and starks as starters, and 2 more knile davis and some other dude) so there really just weren't enough balls to go around that offense

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Cannon is a very good special teams gunner and is on his rookie contract so he might stay regardless. If we could get a 5th back for him I would do it considering that’s what people are saying Lee would go for.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Cannon is on the outside looking in. He was drafted for special teams. But Bellamy takes his spot everywhere and can play receiver too. Bellamy is also a Gase favorite, there’s a new sheriff in town. Montgomery takes Cannon’s only other potential spot, returning kickoffs, and is a better RB.

Cannon needs an injury if he’s gonna make the active roster. Putting on 30/40 lbs so that he is actually the size of an NFL player would help too though

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He can’t catch/return punts. Way too small to be a running back.

Cannon’s only real roles are as a gunner and kickoff returner. But only like 20% of kickoffs even get returned and it seems like it would be easy enough to find a gunner that doesn’t weigh 140lbs. (Hence the Bellamy signing)