Jets sign Kimo von Oelhoffen. - Merged X612

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Good job! :up:

2. twinjetfan

twinjetfan New Member

I think Petro forgot to proof read his article.

3. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

I wonder if that was the gist of it with ESPN's column.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think it is a decent signing. Bringing even more Super Bowl experience to Gang Green.

5. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

A lot of you guys need some tissues to wipe the tears out from under your eyes... Especially whoever wrote the front page article. My god, "...continued the tradition of the previous regime..." and "...Just if the signings of Chester McGlockton and Steve Martin did not teach them anything..." Well, you know what? Not only does Von Oelhoffen not even play the same damn position, he isn't even an attempt to fill a NT role. He is also coming off of a solid rebound season. McGlockton was a known piece of garbage who hadn't been good for years. Martin was still 27 and had potential. None of the three signings are even remotely close, and whining about it like a little bitch after the great offseason the new "regime" has had is just immature and stupid.

6. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

Kimo to help Dewayne out at NT

Today the new york jets have signed kimo.. not gonna try to get the last name... well as you all know he was a DT at one time at his career. He is 299 pounds which is good DE size for 3-4 and he has the strength of a DT. Now that he is here will this make the transaction for dewayne easier. you cant leave shaun ellis one on one with a tackle so our opponents well try to double team him with a guard or maybe a back. Kimo is not exactly a great passrusher but he is strong. Allthough it probally wont be as difficult to block kimo like it will be Shaun ellis, He can still get good penetration which teams will have to watch out for.

Now that shaun ellis and Kimo von oelhoffen are making noises from their end spot. This will leave Dewayne Robertson with most likely one of the guards and the center and he has deffinetly taken on double teams in the 4-3. Now what really is going to create havoc for the offensive cordinator is a Speed rushing outside linebacker. This is why i think if they cant find a first rounder for John abraham, I think they NEED to sign abe to put the biggest missing piece to our 3-4 transition and thats of course speed rushing OLB. The only guy i can see in the draft doing this for us is manny lawson. He may make it to us in the second round but im going to guess he goes late first round. so unless we trade up i dont see him being drafted by the jets.

I am now going to go out on a limb and say dewayne Robertson has a monster year! someone quote me and put it in their sig, Mr. Robertson will have a great year :up:

please post your thoughts or opions on our transition to our 3-4 and what may be other options for us. Thank you..

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

One thought I have is that I've noticed a massive underrating of Hobson by many on this board. This guy is an excellent player who is never going to command large money. This guy will probably be on the team as long as Vilma. Part of that reason is that Hobson can rush the passer. I remember seeing him in the past sack the QB, and when he did it he blasted through the line like a heat seeking missile. We will be OK.

8. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

Does he have the size though to be a almost like DE/OLB. That i would have to say no. I can see him inside linebacker though.

9. xxedge72x

Why does he have to have the size of a DE/OLB hybrid? He has the size of an OLB, is an OLB, and will be playing OLB in whatever scheme Mangini employs. He is wicked quick and hits like a beast. He's not straight line fast but he is very mobile. If anything, I would think ILBs should be bigger because they are the ones who will have to deal with power backs streamrolling straight up the gut.

10. jaywade

jaywade Active Member

Great point, I think hobson is built for the 3-4. He is stout and compact at 6-0 252. He may not be the fastest LB, but he does have great closing speed and hits like a truck. If they let Vilma and barton run around side line to side line Hobson could give great pressure and behind the line tackles.

11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

i just dont get why a team that wont win the SB for atleast 3 years just signed a 35 year old SB graduate

12. MeanGreen80

MeanGreen80 New Member

Yeah, signing Kimo was a terrible move IMO we should've addressed this need in the draft although we could still grab a good developmental prospect in the 5th round. But adding age is a big mistake when building a team.

13. xxedge72x

The young guys are going to need examples, role models you could say. What better than players who have been to the SB and know exactly what it takes to get there and win. Kimo and Chatham both fit that mold. Mawae on the other hand, as great as he's been for the Jets, was a part of a dying Jets clique. The new FO is changing the attitude in the Jets locker room to that of a pro-championship one.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I really don't see how you can like Hobson that much. Yes, he's one of the best tacklers on the team, and he is good at shedding blocks, but he is horrendous at recognizing a playaction from a pass. He bites on everything which is why his ideal spot is SILB where he can stuff all day long while Vilma roams. Similar to what the Steelers do with Foote and Farrior.

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

if hes so excellent and can run like the wind and hit like a truck why wouldnt he someday command big money???im, a little confused....and a lot of people underrate him?????i dont know about that...hes been "ok" if you ask me....bordering on slightly disappointing...anyone else?

16. 1028

1028 Active Member

To those who dont understand the Kimo signing

First of all, Kimo's no "30 year old castoff" like Steve Martin, or Chester McGlokton, as our home page suggests. We dont intend on riding him all the way to SB 41. 3-4 ends are hard to come by in the league...they dont just grow on trees. And you cant just put a DT at end and expect all pro results. People are suggesting we put Robertson at end...didnt the Raiders put Sapp at end as well? And what was the result? He struggled tremendously. Sapp and Robertson are very similar players; Robertson has nor the right type of size, nor the experience, to play end. Thats why we signed Kimo...Mangini wants to draft a defensive linemen, and acclimate him to the position. Like I said before, 3-4 DEs are no dime a dozen...they are very rare and often have to relearn their position. That being said, Kimo is a player that can play end for a few years and help us expedite a switch to the 3-4. Meanwhile the rookie rides the bench and learns his job. The deal Kimo got was a 3 year deal worth 9 mill, with a 3.2 mill signing bonus. Its a short deal because, like I said, were not commited to him long term...he just a transition player. Now back to the question, if Kimo's such a valuable player, then why did the Steelers ever release him? Thats because they have another 3-4 DE, Brett Keisel, a 4 year vet who proved himself in limited action last year, and who they believe can successfully suceed Kimo. Why resign a 30+ year old vet when someone they have someone else available, who's much younger, and just as competant? Thats why they let Kimo walk, not because hes some incompetant geezer. So all in all it was a very solid signing, and though those who think it wasnt anything all that special, or just a downright bad signing, are in the minority, hopefully will read this post and view it in a different light.

17. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Thanks bud. We only have 45 threads already.

19. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

yes, we know

20. Drew

Drew Active Member

Thanks for the update, chief.