Jets sign Kimo von Oelhoffen. - Merged X612

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Mar 14, 2006.

1. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I think he's going to be our 3-4 NT which he has experience in, and drob is going to be the end.

2. Pride

Pride New Member

No way, he's only 299. Unless the Jets plan on Vilma getting killed this year

3. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I'm not thrilled with signing a 35 year old unless he's a kicker or a OG. This is really an overpriced depth signing, though I'll reserve my final judgement until the games start being played.

4. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

Here is a copy of the post you made...

McGinest and von Oelhoffen will not make as much as Arrington. Both of them combined might not make as much as Arrington. The cap hit you speak of will likely be non-existant. These will not be long contracts, and we'll have to cut them. These will likely be 1-2 year contracts that will expire without us cutting them, in turn generating zero cap charge for the following season.

----

Nowhere does that mention all 3 players combined-- Not to mention, you can't look at a cap hit as "saving money" That is why we didn't cut Penny-- because it was way to expensive to cut him, even though they would have "saved" 3 million on the cap. To me, having dead money against the cap should never be looked at as a savings.

5. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

absolutely-- way too much for a 35 year old. This guy is not going to be playing 3 seasons from now, and we are going to have to deal with more dead money.

6. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

I have a copy of your message from the other day. Take a look at what you said, and compare it to what you are claiming you said.

7. Pride

Pride New Member

What 600k :lol: :rofl2:

8. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

How much is he gauranteed? How much 'dead money' will have to be accounted for if he's cut at the end of next season, or the season after that? Can Jetsin2004 come in and break it down for us?

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I also said that if they do sign a contract longer than that, it would be for a lower salary. For a very good 3-4 DE, that can easily be cut in the last year of the deal, this is not much money. And if you save money by cutting a player, the dead money against the cap for that one year isn't a big deal.

Anyway, I'm done dealing with you. You've already stated that you will never learn anything, you think that you know everything there is to know about football. You have an ego and you're very stubborn, which other people have realized already. No need to waste anymore time.

10. Drew

Drew Active Member

I'm not thrilled by this signing. We could/should of got someone better.

11. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

no-- over 2 mill after 1 year (very likely) and over 1 mil after 2 years. Considering that we just restructured a bunch of contracts, (which ultimatly just provides short term help, with the intention of having a higher number a few years down the line) we will need all the cap space we can get over the next few years. We are really sacraficing the fututre with the restructures, and signing deals like this.

12. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

I want to win a Super Bowl. Not sign over the hill players!

13. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

3.2mil gaurenteed- which will be divided over 3 seasons. So if he is cut after one year, its 2 million in dead space- after 2 years, its 1 million.

14. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

And a lot of people here want you to stop posting, but we don't always get what we want I guess.

15. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

That's only because I posted a dang thread about signing over the hill or junk players.

16. nyjetsjetsjets

nyjetsjetsjets New Member

I can't believe what i'm reading. I would hope that most of you know "something" about football. Kimo is a very good (not great because of his age) signing for us. The 34 defense very rarely gets pressure off of the end positions. The ends are supposed to occupy the tackles so that the linebackers can make plays: shutting down the outside run, being able to collapse in the middle, and showing multiple blitz packages. Vilma MIGHT be moved outside. Besides, since Kimo came from Boise State he has had a tremendous work ethic. Add the fact that he started for the Steelers, and won a Superbowl ring, AND was coached by the great Dick LeBeau. This is a GREAT signing when you include the intangibles.

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Oh man, finally some sense brought into this thread. Well said.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Petrozza upset with von Olehoffen signing?

Petrozza upset with von Olehoffen signing?

Jets Sign Von Oelhoffen
    Added on 03/14/2006

The "new" New York Jets continued the tradition that was started by the previous regime, as they patched their offensive line with yet another 30+ year old castoff. Just if the signings of Chester McGlockton and Steve Martin did not teach them anything, the Gang Green agreed to a 3-year contract with DE Kimo von Oelhoffen, formerly of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

:lol: from the front page.

19. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Nice post. Good to know there are at least some solid rookie posters among this influx of spamming noobies.

20. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

You are right-- he backed it up with decent facts. I still don't like the signing, because I don't think it will help us in 2-3 years, but he at least made a decent argument for the guy.