Jets sign Greg Van Roten

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I don't get what some of you want for this team. It was apparent to even the most oblivious fan that our OL needed a massive overhaul. That means developing depth and looking for new starters. Exactly what our GM is doing.

Look, we're not competing for anything next year. So there's no rush to sign big names. There's no pressure to draft any particular player in the draft. For the first time in a while, the development of the team is being handled in a calm and rational fashion.

I'm thinking we're taking a WR at 11. Hopefully draft a solid LT in the later rounds, but if not, there's always next year for that.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I can't express how happy I am with Douglas moves so far. Finally some offensive love. How anti every Jets GM since Parcells. Now he needs to bring Anderson back so Darnold could have at least one reliable target. Come draft day Douglas can go in a few directions. With as of right now an RT or WR would be the choice. Maybe a trade back with the Raiders a possibility. If Douglas can get 3 starters in the draft he should be made GM for life by the Johnsons. If Douglas can nail the curse round (also known as round 2) He should have a street named after him lol.

3. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Agree as this is an improvement to the line build the foundation.

Now the key Is whether Joe picks up a WR in FA or resign Anderson. If we do, then imo still get a OL at 11 if the Any of the top 4 OL is still available to give youth and long term.

Team has still a long way to go but heading the right direction.

NYGANGGREEN, mrjet80 and boozer32 like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, if he cuts his salary that much and is willing to just compete for a starting job and be a backup if he loses, then yeah, we can keep him as depth. I just don't want him on the field if possible.

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

How about best player available at a position of need that is a premium position?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

I agree with everything you stated especially the bringing back Robby Anderson part (for Sam).

One correction. I remember you absolutely loved Marcus Maye coming out of FL and at one point preferred Maye over Adams. Well the 2nd round curse is over. Marcus Maye broke it and is one hell of a deep Safety. You do not see us getting beat deep for 50-60-70-80-90 yard bombs on a consistent basis anymore.

I remember when Jet fans labeled Maye as "injury prone" all because he got hurt during his second season. Now look. Rookie = 16 starts. Last year = 16 starts. He's developing into a great 2nd round pick for us who's also durable.

We haven't even had any 2nd round picks the previous two drafts since the Marcus Maye pick (2018/2019) and imo he's already ended that 2nd round curse of ours but lately it's been our 3rd round picks who have busted on us ala Stewart/Shepherd/Polite back to back to back drafts and Edoga is a big question mark.

It'll be great to capitalize on our 2nd rounder along with two 3rd rounders under JD.

1st round = Jeudy/Lamb (after re-signing Robby Anderson).

2nd round = best available Offensive Lineman.

1st 3rd round = best available O-Lineman.

Double dipping on O-Line.

2nd 3rd round = best available CB/OLB/Edge.

4th round = more offense at either RB/WR/O-Line ala Jason Fabini/Jerricho Cotchery/Leon Washington/Brad Smith/Bilal Powell I remember I used to love the 4th round because we used to actually hit (recently loved the Chris Herndon pick, 4th round).

I hope 4 out of our first 5 picks during the first 4 rounds are for the offensive side of the ball. Would become a breath of fresh air.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

What's nice about this approach is that it is almost like what the Bill's did last year. Brought in decent, quality offensive linemen so that Allen would have protection. We signed Jamison last year, we need a stud WR. I will say it again if Q by some reason is healthy that changes things drastically on offense

NYJFOREVER, NCJetsfan and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

I just mentioned Q in another thread. He'd become an amazing #4 WR if healthy as a role player.

WR #1: Jerry Jeudy.
    Slot: Jamison Crowder.
    WR #2: Robby Anderson.
    TE #1: Chris Herndon.
    RB #1: Le'Veon Bell.
    TE #2: Ryan Griffin.
    WR #4: Quincy Enunwa.

Sam Darnold would then have more pass catching options than any other Jets QB that's ever came before him, because when healthy those are 7 legit playmakers.

Quincy Enunwa healthy and returning to an already potentially loaded Jets offense but this time, as a #4 WR; would become dangerous for opposing defenses and secondaries.

And now that Ryan Griffin broke out or at least emerged as an option, a two TE set of Herndon/Griffin would be different for us Jet fans.

blackssmagic likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How many different guys are posting under the same account here?

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Shepherd looked like he was starting to get to grips and was showing more than Leo after the latter left for the Giants, but a bust just yet.

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I think the negative ones are sarcasm due to another poster saying he is a shitpass protector, the guy he told to tap out btw.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Best post I've read so far this off-season!

Very well said!

13. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Like what JD is doing I really do. With the draft coming up and another year of work we will def see the difference

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

you missed the point.

you did not miss the point.

Ralebird and K'OB like this.
  15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

As well as targeting players who don't commit a ton of players JD also seems to be looking for athleticism over size. I like the way he's approaching it a lot.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He is super weird

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Van Roten was cut by 3 NFL teams right? Why we celebrating like they just landed a pro bowler?

I don’t even have issue with the signing, it’s good to add depth, I’m just saying that’s all he is, a depth player

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What’s weirder is having an opinion that contradicts all facts and being ok with it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I am not one to defend him, but he was being sarcastic

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Your bar for posts seems to be very low.

That was the best post you read all off-season?