Jets sign Breshad Perriman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

And again, Anderson did not just run go routes because he was the teams true #1 WR with a QB who was constantly scrambling with 0 time in the pocket.

Perriman was the #3 WR behind one elite WR and one great one.

And your points regarding the system Perriman was in compared to ours is exactly why you can not just look at stats or that chart that was posted. There were MANY factors that caused that.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

That good cause way back when we drafted Johnny Lam Jones like #3 overall can run like the wind but could catch a pass just saying:mad:

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

And the graph shows that Robby has improved and does more. So because you are 3rd on the depth chart that means you are not suppose to run the complete route tree based off the playbook?

I don't care about the stats as much in this scenario, I care about that player winning their matchup and making a contribution. Going from Robby to Perriman is a down-grade IMO, but perhaps he proves us wrong.

4. championjets69

Commit hari kari yet cause u lost another one of your pet players u championed? :mad:

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What?

6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

why would the Bucs run Perriman inside the numbers more with the roster they had? Why wouldn't we think Jets will run Perriman inside the numbers to the same extent we did RA

Issue is that stats like this are descriptive not proscriptive. Is he capable of running inside? I don't know but body-type wise he seems more capable

Separately, I haven't seen anyone comment yet (maybe I missed it) but does anyone know anything about his character/makeup? Is he a diva? a guy who loves football? smart?

Thanks in advance

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

First and foremost, I couldn’t give two shits what Robby does in Carolina. I don’t wish bad luck on him but I also don’t really care. He’s in a different conference, he’s irrelevant to us, and he reminds me of a four year stretch of our history that I’d love to put behind us. I think the fit in Carolina is weird considering he only excels at one thing and it’s something that Bridgewater is terrible at but hey good luck to both of em.

Second, If we end up with one of the two future pro bowl receivers in this draft )in my opinion), then who cares about the chart that shows who ran what route? We would only need to rely on Perriman for the deep ball and that’s why paying $12 mil for Robby would have been questionable at best.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

Move the chains? Winston out there throwing 30 interceptions chucking the ball down the field. Is it crazy that perhaps maybe a few short passes would help that turnover problem just a little bit?

We haven't seen Perriman do it yet, hopefully he can contribute. Essentially we are back where we were before Gase came in and said Robby try running a few other routes. Hopefully we can get 2 receivers in the draft. Robby can run some nice out-routes, he does more then just go routes.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I wanted to write an intricate and detailed post but ultimately I like Perriman and Anderson. I just like Perriman’s price much better. My guess is Perriman and Anderson will have pretty comparable production in 2020.

TwoHeadedMonster and Pags2112 like this.
  10. Falco21

The graph does not show that Robby improved, but rather was the only true option at WR and was all over the field because the QB was running for his life.

That graph does not show the route tree, but it shows where passes were thrown. And again, you are comparing two receivers in two completely different systems with two completely different sets of WR's around each of them.

I also take, from that graph, that Anderson only seems to score from the right side of the field, while Perriman scores from all around the field. Again, that graph does not prove one way or the other who is a better WR

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This sums it up pretty nicely.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. championjets69

Let see U had man love for Toddy, Enuwa & Robby I'm sure I will recall more in time ust go back thru your old posts to find them :mad:

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what happens with both Winters and Edoga. I had never heard of Edoga before the Sr. Bowl practices last year, and I was impressed with movement, agility, and the job he did blocking the pass rushers in one-on-one drills. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying he will ever be great, but I do think he has the potential to be at least a very good backup swing tackle, and could develop into an average starter if his run blocking is good. I just don't remember how well he did in run blocking last season or in college.

I'm starting to think that Trey Adams may not even make the PS of whichever team drafts him. His performance at the Combine was disappointing. He was weak and didn't seem to be in very good shape. I'm not sure how much he likes football or wants to be his best. If he falls to the 6th round, he could wind up being a steal, or he could wind up being a wasted pick. If he's not healthy, then he better be working his ass off to get healthy and build strength. With Pro Days not happening and examinations by team doctors and private visits/workouts not happening, it could cause him to go undrafted, although as desperate as teams are for OL, some team will probably take a flyer on him. He better be ready for the opportunity, or he may not get a second chance.

14. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

he's not a showboat like Robby. I watched the Lions game and Perriman had 3 TD's and he didn't spike the ball...pat his chest etc. just a little shoulder wave. If Robby had 3 TD's in a game you can be sure he'd be jumping in the stands..pumping his chest & more.

#134 BudJet, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    NCJetsfan, Pepsiguy5 and SOJAZ like this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

If he was the only true option then what was Jamison Crowder? Passes thrown are still based off the route the receiver runs no? Anderson is a better player then Perriman, I think the market already established that as well as the production with crappy QBs.

16. NCJetsfan

I totally agree with you that the Jets need some legitimate star power on offense, and that I would love to see the Jets take Lamb or Jeudy at #11.

I'm curious...why you would prefer to draft an OL in the top 5 picks, but not at #11? There are 4 great OT prospects this year, 2-3 very good QB prospects, an elite edge rusher, an elite CB, an elite ILB, and at least one, if not two elite DTs. Not every team needs an OT. In probably any other draft any one or more of those 4 OTs would probably be drafted in the top 5 picks. This just happens to be a great draft with a lot of topflight or elite prospects at a variety of positions. That is what will cause a couple of the OTs to drop down to the #8 - #11 area. All 4 may be gone before #11.

17. Falco21

Of course Crowder was an option, but outside of a slot receiver, Anderson was the only true option down the field at WR. And passes thrown are not just based off the route the receiver runs according to the playbook. Darnold was running for his life every single game. When he scrambled out of the pocket, any good WR would follow with him and find a way to get open. Anderson was spreading out all over the field trying to get open for Darnold, hence why his catches are far more spread out than Perriman.

Perriman put up almost the exact same stats as Anderson with Godwin and Evans on the roster. Yes, he had more consistent QB play, but he still managed to put up similar numbers as a guy who's only true competition for catches was Crowder LOL

18. NCJetsfan

Good job finding and posting this. I knew all of the above except the new 2020 CBA part where only the players whose contracts are within the top 35% of the league count and the bit about only 32 comp picks. It sure seems like more comp picks than that have been rewarded. The new part regarding only players in the top 35% of the league contract-wise should result in a big cut down on the number of comp picks awarded, so I can't see 32 picks being awarded very often, if ever.

I think Douglas will give us a big leg up on this since he worked with Ozzie for the Ravens for so many years and should know their approach or formula.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ok, champ. stay safe.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

Do you think Winston plays only in the pocket? I thought numbers weren't everything? If Darnold played all 16 games, and was a better deep ball thrower, Robby would've eclipsed those numbers with ease.