Jets sign Breshad Perriman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 24, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Let's not forget we signed Josh Doctson, also a former first-round pick, tbh I had forgotten and was just reading an article and it mentioned him lol

2. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

You don’t think Crowder is a very good slot receiver, which is his starting position? To each their own. I disagree.
    Jamison Crowder is a very good slot receiver, which is a starting position in Gases offense and today’s NFL. Just stating facts. He’s one of the better slots in the league imo, problem is he’s not versatile at all, can’t play outside at all.

apjbfc likes this.
  3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Have you even looked at his numbers?Where are you getting this information from?

4. LongIslandBlitz

Robby Anderson has double his production with average QB play in the 4 years they have both been in the league.I love how Jets fans clap like seals for every move the front office makes..

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Robby Anderson has 207 catches in his 4 year career. Perriman has less than 100 in 4 years. Of course Anderson has double the production, not to mention Perriman played all of last year on the same field as Mike Evans and Chris Godwin who combined for 150 catches, 50 catches shy of Anderson's entire career. And when both of those guys were out and Perriman had to fill the role as #1, he had over 500 yards in 5 games, which was over 60% of Anderson's entire season in yardage.

And you blame the QB play for Anderson's numbers? While I agree to an extent, let me put somehting in perspective for you. In 2017 Jermain Kearse had 130 yards less receiving that year and 2 less TD's, and that was Anderson's best year of his career. In 2016, Marshall and Enunwa combined for over 1,600 yards while Anderson had 587.

Funny, other guys who are either no names or were at the end of their career seemed to have little to no issues with the same QB's.

Again, Perriman was half the price. And I'm not "clapping like a seal" with every move. I'm "clapping like a seal" because paying $10 million for a WR like Anderson would have been a joke

6. Falco21

Have you even looked at his post?

He said he offers true WR1 traits including his size, speed, and jump ball capability. Not sure how those traits are dependent on a players numbers.

BTW......

6' 2"
    215 lbs.
    4.2 40 yard dash

That's where he's getting the numbers from

Sec124DieHard and RochesterJet like this.
  7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Perriman's biggest assets are his straight away speed and size. He is not a WR1 by any stretch of the imagination. He still has to prove he can be an effective #2. His production and profile from his first 5 years in the league indicate that he's a WR3/4 but maybe he's a late bloomer and surpasses expectations with the Jets. Crowder is our best all around WR at this point. We definitely need to address the position in the draft.

8. LongIslandBlitz

Why did he get cut after 2 by the Ravens of all teams.We signed him because there was no other option left on the FA market.We didnt sign him because we think hes a number 1 WR.Dont tell me pre draft stats...Its like Giants fans watching college highlights trying to convince themselves that Leonhard Williams is a monster..

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I guess you are unaware or neglecting the fact that Carolina led the league in sacks allowed last year and has had 3 different OCs in the last 3 years.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  10. Falco21

I don't remember anyone stating that we signed him because he's a #1 WR. The poster above claimed that he has #1 WR traits, which is entirely accurate when looking at his speed, catch ability, and size.

Why was he cut by the Ravens after 2 seasons?

Johnny Unitas
    Cris Carter
    Kurt Warner
    Wes Welker
    James Harrison
    Jeff Saturday
    Rod Smith
    Arian Foster

What do all of those guys have in common? They were cut within a couple years at the beginning of their careers.

My point? No, I am not stating, AT ALL, that Perriman will be a HOF'er or elite WR. But I am stating that just because a player was cut to start his 4 year career, so far, does not mean that he will never amount to anything or even become a special talent in this league.

It all comes back to the essential point. Anderson was not worth $10 million a year. Douglas found a guy on the open market that TB was trying to resign and other teams, like New England and Seattle, were both looking to possibly sign. He came at half the price, is younger, and has tremendous upside based on his finish of the season last year. It was not because he was what was left on the market. The signing actually makes a lot of sense

11. K'OB

He won't answer you btw he is on a weeks troll holiday ;)

The Waterboy, stinkyB and No Fly Zone like this.
  12. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Last season he had 36 catches on 69 targets, for a 52% catch percentage. That probably has something to do with it.

Ron

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Anderson is getting paid double what Perriman will make though. You got a similar talent for half the price, Carolina paid for Anderson's "production" with the Jets. In 2020 though they are similar players

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Also, I think Anderson will always be a limited player because of his slight build. He was never able to fight off more aggresive DB coverage. That doesnt bode well for playoff football (if the Jets ever sniffed the playoffs)

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"Go for two!"

K'OB likes this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Jackie Polite is a "similar" talent to Lawrence Taylor. The question is how similar.

Personally I never thought Robbie was a good NFL WR and suspect Perriman won't be either. The Jets still need to upgrade the position in the draft.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Can't dismiss Covid19 as a possible factor in his decision as well.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You probably could.

stinkyB likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I do think he's a very good WR3 slot guy and yeah 3rd WRs are technically starters but not what i mean by starting caliber WR

20. K'OB

That is why Robby was never a WR1 and I liked him a lot, he had a role, his role was to blaze away and be found with a deep ball, Crowder's role is to be free and available from 7-12 yards on slant runs or whatever, we both know which WR is more important in Gase's set up and unfortunately, the number of targets does not lie and really Robby never stood a chance of posting a 1k season last year.

It is hard to tell what WR is most important in a Gase offence.