Jets select LB Lorenzo Mauldin in 3rd round

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, May 1, 2015.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Its gonna take me years to trust the new staff ,The Jets have let me down and disgusted me to many times for me to just sit back and praise everything they do and agree with everything.I remember all the threads with people worshiping Idziks balls .There's nothing worse then blind homers and "yes" men

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Holy shit. Talk about character. This kid inspires others the first day he shows up at practice. Gonna have to dye that hair green though.

stinkyB and xxedge72x like this.
  3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Lol Nice sig

4. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

He looks too slow and stiff to go around the edges and Jets already have more inside rushers than they need. Great character though and the Jets do absolutely need depth on the OLB position. Decent pick, but nothing exciting.

Edit: Maccagnan spoke in the pre-draft presser about how the Steelers picked linebackers every draft and always had one in the pipeline to step up when there was an opportunity. Mauldin has the traits of those Steelers OLBs. This makes the pick a bit more exciting.

#84 Laszlo Kovacs, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
  5. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

gotta root for the kid
    would have preferred Harold
    don't know why they traded down
    if you watch Jets press conf, they don't look so happy
    I think they would have preferred Harold

6. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

agreed
    Look at presser conference
    Mac explaining too much and they don't look so happy

7. roger

roger Active Member

Macc 1 for 3 so far. That ain't good.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Jets selected the highest rated team captain. If I remember correctly, DeMario Davis has been touted as having a Ray Lewis like demeanor and leadership quality. Here's to hoping this kid is as good or better than Davis has been so far.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Care to give your opinion on Mauldin since you seem to know enough to call him a bust? Then again, you called Devin Smith a waste of a pick so your opinion isn't really all that valuable.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Funny, cause I really knew nothing about him, but just saw some of the highlight videos posted and thought "This is a classic Pittsburgh Steelers pick"........ and that's not a bad thing :cool:

brothermoose likes this.
  11. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Love this pick

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

We give GMs way too much credit and in the same manner we give them too much blame. I doubt very much they elected to pass on Harold because of "inconsistency/risk" in favor of Mauldin. They traded down 12 spots; there's no way for Mac to have known what would be there at 70. Eli was picked 3 spots before so both could have been there and Mac goes a different direction because some one else higher on their board at a different position is available. Eli could have been there instead of Mauldin if the 49ers liked him more or thought "Harold was too inconsistent/risky". They both could have been gone. The only thing we know for sure is that the Jets thought dropping down to 82 and accumulating extra picks was a better value then either Harold or Mauldin at 70.

13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Don't feed....

14. legler82

The bold was Tanny's excuse for drafting Eric Smith and Anthony Schlegel in the 3rd round of the 2006 draft.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Let's get it right. Schlegel got picked because he was John Locke from lost in a football costume, and Eric Smith is black.

16. legler82

That too.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I always preface my comments with the fact that i'm not a follower of college football , but after researching this pick and hearing his reaction I'm loving it.

This kids got a motor that doesn't quit coupled with the determination & appreciation for what he's been through to overachieve and contribute to a position that's a huge need for us.

Love how he wants to be active with kids that are going through similar issues he's dealt with and his desire to get involved in the community.

With all the negative NFL stories taking the front pages of the papers its nice to have a feel good story to follow and , what seems like, a guy who can use his success to benefit others.
    I'm a fan of this guy already.

RuJFan and stinkyB like this.
  18. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

stiff hips is a concern. He'll probably get shredded when matching up with athletic TEs that can run good routes as well as QBs like Big Ben who are mobile in the pocket. Yea he screams intangibles. But we'll be pissed when he misses a key tackle on 3rd and 25th and the other team completes the play for a first down

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Macc doesn't really need an excuse. The guy is a brick shithouse that supplies pressure up the middle, can drop into coverage and has incredible character. Those are all more important than any captain rating.

20. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Seems like he'll be more effective as an inside rusher/run stopper. Like the pick especially given how stout we are up front. Keeps the bigs off of him so he can go get the RB.