Jets Roster for 2016/2017 Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will, May 1, 2016.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This description sounds vaguely familiar...

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yep. I'm delighted that Howsare made the team over Bohannon. I also Iike the fact that he can also play LB, and I'm sure is probably a STer.

3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Howsare is prob gone as we made 4 claims

4. NCJetsfan

Yes, I saw that. Williams is probably gone as well. I wonder who the other two will be. Dozier? Stanford? McDougle?

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Williams and Howsare most likely, maybw Bostic? Mcdougle would be my next guess. As long as it's not one of the WRs.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Will

Will Well-Known Member

The team was awarded four players: Tight end Braedon Bowman (Jaguars), tight end Brian Parker (Chiefs), running back Troymaine Pope (Seahawks) and cornerback Darryl Roberts (Patriots).

Some background on the claimed players:

Braedon Bowman (TE)— An undrafted rookie out of South Alabama, Bowman caught three passes for 32 yards with Jacksonville this preseason. Two of those grabs and 28 of those yards game against the Jets in the preseason opener. Bowman stands 6-4 and weighs 244 pounds. Is a decent blocker and Jags were considering having him as a lead blocker for their RBs as they had no fullback
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11674/braedon-bowman

Brian Parker (TE) — Parker, now in his second year, signed with the Chiefs last season as an undrafted free agent out of Albany. He appeared in one game last season and caught one pass for four yards. In the preseason this year, Parker caught two passes for 20 yards. He stands 6-4 and weighs 265 pounds.

Troymaine Pope (RB)— Pope signed with the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent out of Jacksonville State this year. He instantly became a fan favorite. He went from working in a factory, to fighting for his NFL life. At 5-10 and 207 pounds, Pope isn't the biggest runner, but was one of the Seahawks' top performers in the preseason. He ran for 162 yards on 16 carries (6.8 average) and caught one pass for 16 yards. He has some value as a kick returner, too. He averaged 27.5 yards per kick return on six attempts this preseason.
    A friend of mine is a big Seahawk fan and I hear they were not happy that Pope was released rather than their rook drafted RBs.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12111/troymaine-pope

Darryl Roberts (CB)— Roberts, whom the Patriots selected in the seventh round of the 2015 NFL Draft, is a tall, lanky player. He stands 6-0 and weighs 182 pounds. In the preseason this year, Roberts recorded 10 tackles and two passes defensed. He did not play as a rookie. He injured his wrist and was placed on the season-ending injured reserve Sept. 1.

This will mean 4 guys currently on the roster leave - will be interesting to see who they are

egelband likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Wiliams was probably replaced by Pope.

Yeah, I had forgotten that the Jets signed 2 TEs, so Bostic is probably gone along with Howsare, but I'd rather Dozier would get cut ahead of Bostic. Bostic had a good camp and preseason and is a pretty good blocker and receiver. Dozier just isn't very good. Since Bostic can actually catch the ball and Davis can't, I think I'd rather they keep Bostic over Davis, but that would probably never happen. That would leave them with 3 fairly inexperienced TEs, and perhaps short on OL depth.

I would be shocked if any of the WRs are cut. 9 LBs seems like a little much, so Stanford may be a possibility.

8. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I think one or both of the TE's might be cut. Based on the preseason Kellen Davis needs to be the odd man out there. I think there could still be a spot for Howsare if the plan is to have guys who can do multiple things like Catapanao DE/OLB/Specials? and the new kid that could lead block.

9. NCJetsfan

I don't hate Davis as some here do, but I can't see his being cut. If the Jets had signed a TE who was a 3-4 year veteran and who was roughly Davis' equal at blocking and was a better receiver, then OK. But when one of them only has 1 year experience in the NFL and only caught one pass last year and the other was an UDFA this year, imo there's no chance that happens.

10. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Also started to see the PS take shape

• The Jets re-signed outside linebacker Freddie Bishop, a CFL pickup, to their practice squad, according to National Football Post's Aaron Wilson and showed some aptitude for getting to passer.

• Second practice squad guy is Safety Doug Middleton (undrafted rookie cut by Jets on Saturday) who really played hard when he was on the field.

• Outside linebacker Victor Ochi (according to multiple reports). is the first not in Jets TC this summer Ochi went undrafted out of Stony Brook this year. He attended high school on Long Island. He was cut Saturday by the Ravens. http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/135078/victor-ochi

• The Jets have added UDFA defensive end Claude Pelon to their practice squad, according to his agent. Pelon spent training camp with the Jets, but was cut during the 53-man roster trim. Flashed during Camp and in the pre-season games

• Practice squad member No. 5 (out of 10 possible) is offensive guard Craig Watts, released Saturday by the Jets, according to Wilson. He played extensively with the 2's in pre-season and must have been a close call to cut

almbleamal and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Excellent! I'm happy about all of those. The other player who was in TC this year, who was one of the last cuts, and I hope to see make the PS is Chandler Worthy. I guess they didn't like Shelby Harris as much as some of us did, and his being one of the earlier cuts was not a ruse to sneak him onto the PS.

I wondered if the Jets might claim Ochi. I'm glad they did.

12. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Parker is from Rochester
    Yea that's the thing Davis was supposed to be a blocking TE but he didn't do that very well either. I don't hate Davis but he was only marginally better than the other TE's and that isn't saying much considering how poorly they all block.

13. NCJetsfan

Agreed, it isn't saying much, but experience does count for something as does the fact that he already knows the offense well. Bostic's only been here this offseason, so may not know the full offense yet. I don't see any way the Jets would go with two TEs who barely know the offense and cut both Davis and Bostic.

egelband likes this.
  14. Will

Will Well-Known Member

• According to a source, the Jets are adding cornerback Bryson Keeton, whom they cut Saturday, to their practice squad. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11989/bryson-keeton

• The Jets are also adding former Giants & Packers wide receiver Myles White to their practice squad. That makes seven guys on the Jets' practice squad. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9128/myles-white

That makes 7 on PS - may not add too many more as they may want to keep those spots for some of the end of roster moves they did last year when Rontez Miles made the team but was cut and added to the PS when they added Martin from Seattle.

CB Dee Milliner and LB Trevor Reilly, both waived/injured, cleared waivers and revert to the Jets' injured reserve for the time being.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

17. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

With only 2 or 3 remaining spots apparently still open on the practice squad, the signing of former Packer & Giants WR, Myles White, does not bode well for those of us pulling for Chandler Worthy to make it....

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Wow, Jets waived Khiry Robinson, he broke the same leg again. IMO we should go get Karlos Williams. Last season showed us how critical it is to have 3 reliable running backs, we can't rely on a scrub in a big spot again (no offense to Stevan Ridley - who got cut from 2 different teams this training camp).

Jake likes this.
  19. Will

Will Well-Known Member

They just waived four players, to make room for the four players the organization claimed on waivers Sunday.

The released players: cornerback Dexter McDougle, safety Ronald Martin, running back Dominique Williams, and running back Khiry Robinson.

The biggest surprise was Robinson, a free agent signing this offseason who seemed to have established himself as the Jets' No. 3 running back.

Robinson was waived with an injury designation, due to a broken right leg he apparently suffered Vs Eagles. Really weird to not just do this sooner if he was injured and keep someone else - perhaps they feared he would be claimed if they let him go sooner

Martin & Williams should claim places on PS

#359 Will, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Glad the wide outs are safe ... 4 TE's !?!?!