Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ........

........ Trolls

Oh man, I would never bet on that. I'm not dealing with a likely situation here, just a somewhat possible one.

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Yeah based on what was said earlier in the thread page 2... the quotes from Maybin made it sound like his little girl had an older brother and that he died the day before the girl was born...

But if what you said is true, its not really a miscarraige at the day before birth. But its also not really like an infant passed... But all in all its still awful and had to screw with his head. Not saying it was why he sucked because he sucked during his rookie year, but you never know....

3. LolTolhurst

LolTolhurst Banned

Exactly...in addition, he also has another 14 games of which to get lucky. All it takes is one blown blocking assignment and your Jets scro wins the bet.

So how bout that bet, IJR? Don't turn into a twatwaffle on me now:up:

4. LolTolhurst

LolTolhurst Banned

yeah, no shit...

5. ........

........ Trolls

Considering there's nothing anywhere on the internet about him having a son (at least not that I've been able to find), it seemed more likely that 'she had a brother who died the day before she was born' was referring to a death in the womb.

6. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

you sure? there was no confirmation on that either way. but i agree it would be worlds different as a miscarriage.

i assumed it was SIDS or something

7. LolTolhurst

LolTolhurst Banned

SIDS babies...I don't miss those calls

8. ........

........ Trolls

Well, there are plenty of references to him having a daughter, but absolutely nothing about him ever having a son until the reference to his son dying the day before his daughter was born.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

EH, I've known people to get very bent about early miscarages, let alone a late term one. All I know is I'm very happy never having had to deal with one. I was attached to the thought of my kids long before they came out of the womb.

Now that he's a Jet, and reportedly health, I hope the best for him on the feild. It is a little risk investment at a position where we need youth badly.

10. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not trying to suggest it isn't horrible. I'm just saying it seems like it's a bit different than what we all thought when we first read it.

11. BookEndTackles 72&79

Westerman certainly isn't in jeopardy. However, if Maybin makes this team and gets any significant reps at all during the season they are coming at the expense of Westerman and not Pace or Thomas.

12. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Okay, I'm digging this one...

... and this one. I never knew about the personal loss Maybin experienced and you really have to take into account the way he was used by a team that has not exactly been a mecca of football innovation in recent years.

It's a big long shot, but Rex loves him some long shots. And Rex, for all of his good-natured antics and eccentric pillow habits, is deep down where it matters a football innovator with a lifetime of intense study of the game. Take his defense, which is constantly shifting in alignments but in essense uses the overall philosophy of the family crest - the 46 defense.

Rex has been using Eric Smith and James Ihedigbo in the hybrid hunter safety role that was originally envisioned for Doug Plank. Both Digs and Smith more physically resemble undersized linebackers who would likely be misused as an OLB in a Mangini 3-4, or a WLB in a Herm Edwards Tampa-style 4-3, or a traditional strong safety in both. Mangini's was a slight bit more out-of-the-box in terms of player flexibility than Herm's, but the reality is that neither scheme ever really put tweener players in specialty roles to get the most out of their ability, and those players mainly only shined on the STs units.

Of course people have been crying in this thread about Maybin's size, kind of like people (myself included) that cried that Jon Vilma was a terrible fit for the 3-4 defense that Mangini brought to town. Vilma probably would have been a beast in the specialty packages that Rex had Smith and Digs filling, the in the box hybrid that is strong enough to stand up a good blocking TE to open a hole and with the right combo of size and speed to squeeze through a hole betweeen block busters like Pouha and Bart Scott and get in the QB's head.

Maybin looks like he fits that mold on the surface, but he's just another longshot who is being given a chance to prove himself with the ability he possesses, and not the ability his coach wishes he had.

It's so nice to have a head coach that knows enough (more than enough) and is willing enough to put players in position to succeed instead of rigidly making the players conform to a role that they aren't meant for.

#113 abyzmul, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  14. coachmimz17

coachmimz17 New Member

IF we can get a 3rd down pass rusher for minimum salary... Who creates a few qb hits a game and adds pressure, why not? its cheaper than having taylor around who would be just as effective this year...

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This is the Sanchez draft right?

Damn this guy must have been a colossal bust

16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I like the pickup, we essentially got a shot in the dark type of passrusher like the Pats got Haynesworth....only thing is we practically got him for free.

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Taylor was actually really good against the run. And he had 5 sacks last year. I'm willing to bet that Taylor would be more effective than Maybin.

18. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

Good point well made without playing to the gallery. McIntyre looked very lost in the game against the Texans seemingly not showing any real playmaking in rushing keeping his lanes or when dropping.

His size and weight issues are kind of intriguing with the potential for him to be a tweener LB/S/CB to be used very specifically in pass defence. It will be interesting to watch what snaps he gets over the remainder of camp and preseason. Low risk signing

19. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Unless he can play o-line I do not care.......

20. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Not that I'm defending Haynesworth, but Albert showed what he CAN do when

motivated.It's just about whether he WANTS to do it. This guy hasn't even

shown a glimpse of hope.

Who knows, maybe he becomes a hard hitting, run stopping strong safety or

something. There have been other guys who have been backers that

trainsitioned to safety and vice versa. I'm confused with the purpose of this

signing though. We just lost a OL and Ducasse became a joke punchline, I

thought we'd focus on that. There are some other holes that need filling.

One thing I will say is that Rex is unorthodox, so this guy may have some

hidden benefit that only Rex can exploit.