Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Of course but that is exactly all the Jets want him to be. So far he does it better than anybody else on the team. (2nd down too at times)

2. stanner

stanner Member

what do they say about haters? oh, yeah: they're gonna hate.

3. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Well guess what, in the land of the no move backups the one move backup is king.

Hail Maybin.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Who cares what moves he has, he isn't on a dance floor or basketball court? He is getting paid 525k and has 1 more sack and 1 more FF than almost anybody else on the team and that is after playing only 1 game.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is what I was thinking when I saw him on Sunday night. We haven't had somebody with that kind of speed off the edge since Abraham. His technique sucks, he has the tendency to over-pursue, and he gets overpowered easily, but the same could also be said of Abraham as a Jet a lot of the time.

And no, I am not saying he'll be John Abraham, but 94A is correct about not being able to teach that kind of speed. He makes the rest of our front 7 look slow.

Rex was able to make Drew Sucking Coleman a useful player from the edge, I think he may be able to do something with Maybin in a situational role.

6. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty significant that the kid is still only 23 years old. He's basically the same age as most rookies coming in to the league. It's not as if he's an old dog who can't learn new tricks.

All I know is that the guy has played like a berserker when he's been put in to the game and that's a welcome element on the field. I don't know how much has to do with the playcalling and how much with the players, but the Jets D looks much less aggressive and intense so far this season than it has the past two years and having a guy on the field who goes after the QB like he's bloodthirsty is exactly what I want to see.

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I don't care if Maybin is undersized or lacks balance. He has speed which is something the Jets lack severely. Even if he can get pressure here and there it is a big help. If Rex can scheme him some free shots at the QB Maybin could be deadly.

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Is he the next LT? Hell no. I see him as a situational rusher and special teamer.

At the very least, though, having speed on the edge forces the OLine to adjust. How many times have we seen the Pats max protect with fatties and swallow up our blitzers? Bringing in a guy who has crazy speed on the edge could open up rushing lanes inside. It adds a dimension that our defense has lacked for years.

9. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

That's fine with me.

I just see some people on this board hoping he will start for Thomas. That would be a terrible idea. I doubt we ever see him beat a tackle off the edge but if he is gonna make a play or two a game by not quitting on the play after he initially gets blocked he is doing something right.