Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Having no balance isn't just a weakness, its why he got run out of Buffalo.

He's clearly more suited for the 3-4 than he ever has been as a 4-3 DE.

But he's only going to be a situational pass rusher, but will never command a double team.

If he actually learns technique, he'll do well and I'll root for him. But right now he's really funny to watch.

He hustles. I will never take that away from him.

2. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

He looks like a retard on roller skates out there, but I loved the hustle. He's a much better bust than Gholston.

#782 Organized Chaos, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

How was it a desperate move? Some roster spots opened up and he performed well in the preseason.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why the hell are some people rooting against Maybin? Just so you don't have to be proven wrong for saying this was a desperate move or we should have never signed him in the first place? Why do people WANT him to not get better? Why are people WANTING a run play to come at him and for him to give up 12 yards? This fanbase just baffles me sometimes.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I've stated why I don't think I should be doing this:

Hey Maybin could be the answer!!!! Look how fast he is off the edge!! He got a strip sack!!! He's gunna be a good one!

No, the reality is that he gets washed out of plays with little effort from the opposing OL. He hustles, which is the only thing he does well. He literally tripped over his own feet because he wants to move at 10000 mph instead of staying balanced and smart.

He hasn't fixed it in 4 years. If he fixes it now, he can do well as a 3rd and long pass rusher. But he cannot play the run, that is not a secret. That's stone cold fact.

So while I want the kid to do well, I'm not going to hold out hope until he improves his play. Because memories are very, very selective when it comes to cinderella stories.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So the fact that he has more sacks in one game as a Jet than he did in his two year Bills tenure means nothing to you in terms of improving play? Interesting.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

He looks funny when he talks, but he works hard and wants to be good at his job. He did more then Gholston ever did.

I say keep him around

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

He needs some other weapons in his arsenal to be sure............

There is a ring of truth to both sides of the argument.

The LT last night was a statue. The CS knew that and made sure to bring Maybin in.

Yes on a more mobile LT he is just going to let Maybin up field and put him out of the play. Yes, he is going to rush himself out of the play and lose containment and not set the edge on obvious run plays.

No he is not an every down player at the moment.

If Maybin can get a swim move, inside move etc he can be a Jason Taylor type player. They had similar builds coming out of college.

Before anyone says WTF, I am not saying he is going to be Taylor just there are similarities as younger players.........

9. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

It's desperate when you don't address your needs earlier in the offseason, lockout shortened or not. There's always someone available for the right price, at anytime - was Maybin the best option or the only option?

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yeah, I guess you saw Coakley interview him last night? He makes some weird faces while he's speaking. Like he's about to smile, but then recalls that after losing it's probably not a good idea to, even though he had a great game, but the team lost, but that wasn't his fault, but it wouldn't look right...

11. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

haha yea he does that half lip sneer thing when he talks. As long as he can come up with plays I don't care. If Sanchez doesn't throw that ugly pic6 right after his stripsack and we get within 3 points that would've been one of the best plays of the season so far. He does look ridiculous getting thrown around out there but he does add another dimension to the rush.

12. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

i noticed that too, but it didnt bother me. he hasnt made a serious NFL play his entire NFL career. he should be happy.

every pass rusher says something like - "the first sack is the hardest, and once you get one, they just start coming."

so hopefully his balls dropped last night.

13. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

The guy has a good motor and hustles. He played ST last night so his head is on straight.

Brady's totally immobile in the pocket. I could see Maybin getting him to the ground.

14. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

I'm feeling another FF sack against Brady.

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I'd rather see him rushing the passer than Westerman, that's for sure. For all his faults (and there are several), he does provide one thing that none of our other linebackers do: And that's speed off the edge. With the way Rex brings pressure from all over the field, he will have chances to get to the QB against 1 on 1's, working against a TE or RB, and in that case he has the speed to hopefully pick up a few sacks.

I'd love to see him develop a spin move like Dwight Freeney uses all the time.. kind of like what Taylor did last year against Brady when he beat Light to the inside and strip sacked Brady. Tackles obviously know his main move is just a speed rush to the outside, so if he can develop a counter, he can actually be dangerous out there.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Him and pace out there we seemed to have somewhat of a rush. Let's stick with that and continue making QB's uncomfortable out there

17. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

I think Maybin was one of the few bright spots on the team last night. He showed a high motor and good speed when pursuing the QB, in his first game as a Jet he gets a sack fumble, in 3 years as a Jet gholston failed to register a sack, looks like at the very least Maybin is better than Gholston lol. I remember the first play he was in on, he chased flacco around like a mad man forcing him into a bad throw, and i was like "Who is THAT!?" I really like what he has shown in just one game, he won't be a suggs or harrison, but I think he can be a good situational pass rusher for this team, send him in fresh when the opposing o line is getting winded and use his speed to try and steal a sack. He could have been useful in the AFCCG when Ben was extending plays, I get the feeling he would be able to close the gap and get those sacks when slower LBs do not.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Like I said earlier, I want to see him against a starting LT that isn't a statue. If he gets another arrow in the quiver......spin move,inside move, swim move,etc. He can prove to be a good pick up.

19. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Yes it seems like our other pass rushers get so close but are always evaded by the QB's first dodge. Maybin has a differant tempo than our bullrush guys so hopefully he able to flush the QB out of the pocket towards our other guys.

20. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

Not only that, but our bullrush guys can't seem to pivot or turn around quick enough to re establish a pursuit of the QB, in re watching some of the clips, Maybin showed really quick reflexes when the blocker turned him; he was able to re establish himself and accelerate past the blocker. You can see this clearly on the play he got the sack fumble, he gets blocked off to the side, changes direction and re pursues, none of our other lbs can seem to do that, they go all in on the first pass rush attempt and then thats it.