Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

But seriously. I have no idea why we did this. Other people have said it could hurt the development of our in house guys, ie Westerman. Hopefully it just provides fire for them. Grasping at straws here.

He sucks.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Come on, JK, what has Westerman shown any of us aside from very limited flashes of talent and some press blurbs from the beat writers? He was nearly invisible the other night.

I don't think Maybin has any real chance to make the team, but Westerman was a UDFA and a long shot project from word one. It's not like we're taking snaps away from Clay Matthews here.

3. BookEndTackles 72&79

Sure he is. They are looking for an edge rusher and Rex has already said that they are trying to get Westerman to be a force in designated pass rushing situations. If Maybin makes it here that would most likely be his role since he is weak against the run, is not very big and supposedly the strength of his game is his quickness and speed. Pace isn't coming off the field in passing situations. Thomas will be the once coming off the field on 3rd and long so of course they will be competing for a similar spot/role.

4. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

fuck westermanns snaps. he has yet to produce. he has had a few chances to step up and hasnt yet.

and if this kid is so bad (which, in a defense that loves to use smaller guys in exotic blitzes, like digs did for us the last 2 years, he shouldnt be), then why wouldnt westermann beat him out in camp?

also, your argument about this hurting young players doesnt hold water in this situation, because maybin is extremely young. if anything, we took a flyer on a guy with MASSIVE upside potential due to his age. look it like an NBA prospect. you take a shot on a guy who can turn into something when you can do it on the cheap.

5. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

To be fair to the guy, he did lose his child recently which has to have an affect on his performance, at the very least his mental focus.

Let's hope he can prove everyone wrong and turn things around.

6. grumpynyjetsfaninME

we might have picked up a mustang at a yougo's price. never know.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Only thought I have is Gholston had every reason to want to play good and just couldn't. Maybin did not have much motivation, being in Buffalo, on terrible teams, with terrible coaching, MAYBE just MAYBE Rex can get something out of him.

8. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

Well......good signing.

9. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Last dude on the roster, with a Buffalo Bills playbook, and some athleticism. People are making this sound as if we just signed this guy who has no understanding of our scheme to be our starting outside linebacker.

A few guys, Bertrand Berry, La'Roi Glover, and Calvin Pace are just a few guys who took some time before they developed. No, I don't believe that Maybin will be a similar success story, but it doesn't hurt to have a look at him and his playbook and find out.

-X-

10. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Rex probably wants to use him similar to Dig as an in-the-box safety type. He's too undersized to be a LB but with his speed and some tricky scheming maybe Rex can get him at the QB.

If he sucks then you cut him, it's no big deal either way.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Well, if Maybin fails as a pass rusher in Rex's system.....just give him a few days to drop some weight. Maybe he could give us some CB/S depth. :smile:

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Best of luck to him... He'll probably never be worth the 11th pick in the draft but if anyone can make him a serviceable nickel pass rusher that's Rex & Pettine.
    I think in that position he should do better than Gholston... he's much more athletic and less stiff... when VG ran the arc it looked like he had a broom up his ass.

Hopefully someone between Westerman, McIntyre & Maybin steps his game up as we really could use some help at OLB.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i have no opinion on this.

14. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Fuck Westerman, Fuck Maybin. We got Josh Mauga!

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

who is best suited as an ILB, so he is irrelevant to this argument

16. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Rex on in 5 fyi.

17. patfanken

patfanken Banned

I don't understand why ANYONE here would question this move. The knock on this kid is that he just can't play, despite his obvious athletic abilities. He is a good kid and tries, but seemingly just can't play on the NFL level....so far. But WHY NOT. You got about 90 players in camp now, what matters if you add another....like many have said. "it can't hurt".

The only caveat I'd add is something I read in the thread. It WOULD be a questionable move IF its true the Jets guaranteed him $2MM. If he's there for the vet minimum and has to make the team, then it was a no-brainer.

18. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

is he coming in to play strong safety?

that is a joke but at 228lbs thats really small....

19. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

As I said earlier in the thread, he's on vet minimum with the Jets. Buffalo are giving him the guaranteed $2M.

20. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Clearly at 228lbs, Rex has something outside the box in mind for this once talented All-time bust.

Ya never know. Low risk move here...