Jets resigned Aaron Maybin (9/28)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

It seemed like Mangini was looking for a drone, completely lacking any kind of personality or temperament, for which he could impart his considerable football genius on. Or at least as he saw it.

-X-

2. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

From what I've seen of Maybin, he doesn't seem to comprehend leverage, and he relies entirely on his first step.

That said, any guy who comes in in the middle of training camp, former first rounder or not, is fighting an uphill battle. Everyone he's competing against has a long time in the system, and he's coming from a dysfunctional franchise. So I guess I'm sort of hoping he surprises me, because if he does, we might have a significantly more athletic linebacker corps, and that's never a bad thing.

-X-

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me but I thought Maybin looked pretty good in the two games he's played with us so far. He had that sack in the Cincy game and got some good pressure on Eli last night. As someone mentioned, he's got a great first step and I think he's got the tools to be a good situational pass rusher for us. I hope Rex keeps him and works on him throughout the season because it's not like Scott and Pace are getting any younger... it would be nice to have some fresh young legs in week 14 or so getting after the QB.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Maybin looks like he has a great first step but he relies too much on his speed. He needs to improve his strength and his hand fighting or he's going to continue to be the non-factor he has been so far.

5. BigGreenGangBang69

Exactly, and one other thing I have noticed is once he turns the corner to go for the QB he seems to fall really easily or trip him self, needs better balance.

6. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

seems like his speed should make his a good ST player

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

2 sacks so far for Maybin...I like this kid's desire to succeed all of a sudden.

The second stringers of the eagles were doubling him.

He should have had 3 sacks too

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Compared to Gholston, he's a keeper.

9. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

He leads the Jets in sacks this preseason

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think he makes the Final 53 man roster

11. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

He's shown a motor that gholston never had. I think he's shown enough this game that I want to see more. Hope he makes the roster

12. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Maybin worth a roster spot to see if Rex can correct the little flaws that prevent him from being as good as he can be. For the little I have seen looks like he could really pan out to something good for the Jets

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If he can learn leverage over the course of the season he'll be a very nice piece to have around week 12 when guys like Scott and Pace may be feeling some wear and tear.

14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Compared to Gholston, your random late stage cancer patients are keepers.

15. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

If Gholston had a roster spot for three years, Maybin should have one for at least a few weeks so we can have a better idea how he does against the starters in real games

16. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

hahah....thats actually a pretty damn good point. I think the fact Rex had him on the sidelines during the 4th quarter bodes well for him.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Rex will probably give Maybin his diet...All he needs now is some muscle and continue pushing hard. He may have a shot

18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I know it was against backups, but I was pretty impressed with Maybin as a Jet. I hope he makes the team.. I mean he was going up against the same guys the other players were, and he stood out more than most.

If we stashed guys like Cumberland and Gilbert and Kroul on the roster last year, I don't see why we can't find a spot for a guy with potential like Maybin has. Rex can work with him.

19. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

give him gholston's syringe.

oops, i meant trainer....and you'll have a really good player

20. boxorox

boxorox Banned

Maybin is flat out on the team. Way too much upside to put him anywhere but the 53 right now. Maybe he won't find that extra strength and technique and he won't work out as good as it looks like he might, but we'll definitely be giving him the chance to show us what he's got.

Just having an extra guy that can get in there and break up the rhythm of the play is worth the spot right now even if he isn't going to be a cold-blooded finisher. Another great little stab by the FO at the moment.

Now we just definitely need a solid OL backup vet and we should be good.