Jets release Matt Simms

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, May 28, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think Vick could run Belichick's offense. If he's motivated that is. He's the best Qb available. The thing is his price. Does BB want to pay him at least 4 mil.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Beware the ides of Chad Pennington.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

uhh because just at the simplistic level Geno Smith is way more talented than Simms. Even if you watch the 2 play for 5 minutes you notice a big difference in ability. If Geno Smith can't manage to get the job done, a guy who is way less talented certainly aint

4. BrowningNagle

Belichick isn't going to want a guy who shows up for games unprepared. not for $ 4mil or $4.00

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Simms was surprisingly mobile when he went in for Geno during the regular season. Between the his running ability and his strong arm I do not think the talent gap is nearly as strong as Geno's fans seem to believe.

Big Blocker likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

Awesome Joe! Love the St. Bonaventure reference too!

Unitas is a great story. Didn't he play semi-pro ball for like some slapdick team in the mountains of WV after he left the Steelers or was that before them?

7. BrowningNagle

ehh. he's got a pretty strong arm I'll give him that.

I was never really impressed with him at all at Cortland though. He looked okay against the 3rd team but any time he got reps against 2nd or 1st team guys he struggled. Sometimes it looked like he was in slow motion trying to process what was going on and he didn't have any touch on his passes.

Even in the preseason he struggled early when he first came in games and that was more likely when a few of the second & first teamers might've been playing. He made his preseason noise if you want to call it that in situations when only 3rd teamers were playing- like late in the games or the 4th preseason game.

He was a lot better than Boyd, though, I'll give him that. Boyd didn't belong on an NFL field. Simms does but is fringe. Either way the project QB is Petty now so he's kind of got no place.

8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think he would. But there is no indication he will. No rumors on Vick to NEP. Just speculation on my part so maybe you're right.

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

After the Steelers he played semi-pro ball for $6/game as a QB, safety and punter. Then he was a last-minute invite of the Colts along with another guy from that team at their try-out camp. Rumor also had it that the Browns wanted him as well. Unitis' first game in the NFL was in garbage time vs. the Lions, going 0-2 with one INT. Two weeks later when the Colts regular QB (Shaw?) broke his leg vs. the Bears, Unitis came in and on his first pass he threw a pick-six. And if that wasn't bad enough, on his very next play from scrimmage he fumbled the ball which the Bears recovered. After that though, he led an upset win over the Green Bay Packers and the rest was history...

10. BrowningNagle

$6 a game holy crap.. he must've been driven for his dream. I'd given the game up and became a roofer myself to make more money haha

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Well he was also working in construction at the time as well.

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Wow, when I started this I had no idea we'd get 10 pages out of it. I guess it's smack in the middle of nothing season so it makes sense that a QB roster transaction will be discussed.

As far as Simms, I was actually watching his preseasons the other day because I was bored and there was nothing Jets related going on besides an OTA closed to the media. My biggest problem with him is his lack of touch, it's Kaepernick-esque only worse. He has a very strong arm and he likes to show it off, but he throws fastballs in spots where he shouldn't. I saw a number of plays where he had an open receiver if he just lofted the ball over a linebacker, but he just gunned it on a line and got batted down instead. He was also overly safe with the ball, which was probably just a result of being in his first action and trying not to lose his job. He left his deep reads incredibly quickly even if they were open, opting to check it down or dump it short on almost every play. His pocket awareness is also lacking as he got blindsided on occasion and rarely maneuvered the pocket.

He's got a ton of arm talent and some downfield throws were stunningly accurate, but his flaws will take time to fix. With Petty as a project and a 2 man QB battle in front of him, there was just no room for him here anymore. It was smart of him to get out of this before training camp, hopefully he'll catch on with a team that has an established starter and is willing to give him a couple more developmental years. He has such limited college experience that he really needs the most NFL coaching he can get. Best of luck to the kid, he seems like a great guy (I actually met him outside the stadium before a game; he gave me a memorabilia coin with his name and number on it. Guess it's not worth much now).

westiedog1, Cman68 and James Hasty like this.
  13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am not sure what "the Simms camp" is supposed to mean. Far as I can tell there were only comments about how he looked pretty good when he got a chance to play, and seemed to be suffering from some double standard as compared to Smith. I don't know of anyone who was for putting Simms out there long enough to throw 34 interceptions, for example. In other words, there was no equivalency to the two "camps" as you put it.

ajax and PulseJet like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wonder if Petty has been impressing the Coaches or if this was just a no brainer and the team decided to give Simms a chance to catch on elsewhere?

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Simms requested the team release him.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

So he could possibly catch on somewhere else.

Didn't wanna delay the inevitable...

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks. I had not seen that news.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Look at all the teams lining up to sign him...

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Much like La'el Collins Simms can now decide who he wants to play for.

20. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Completely different circumstances, but yes.