Jets release Matt Simms

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, May 28, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Simms showed something in camp. And played well in the exhibition season. And made the team. Not because of his father but because he earned it on the field. But when the season started he was on the bench. Even though he had outplayed Mark Sanchez during pre-season. So knowing what we do now. I'll take Simms over Sanchez because I don't know he would be bad. I know Sanchez was. That is if I had a time machine.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Are we even living on the same planet?

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

What I don't get. Are those who know the results. And still say do the same thing.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh. My guess is this was more about Simms wanting to get away from the Jets. Cimini reports this occurred because Simms asked to be released. Imo this is really more about Petty than Smith. As in with Petty on the squad, Simms saw it as a numbers game, and I would not be surprised if he already had some other teams looking at him. I always said he'd have a better shot elsewhere. Let's see if he does.

As for the Smith Fans here gloating over Simms being cut, aside from sounding like insecure cakeholes, they seem to have missed that cutting Simms doesn't do anything to improve the worst Qb in the NFL the last two seasons.

Good luck, Matt.

5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I thought it was weird and slightly disingenuous for Bowles to say that Simms would get a chance to be the starter in a press conference then cut him the next day. If Simms asked to be released then it was not disingenuous and was in fact a classy move by the Jets. It also shows that Simms evaluated his chances of making the 53 man roster were slim to none after seeing how Fitz and Petty performed. Which means Fitz is not Vick and Petty is not Taj Boyd.

NYJetsO12, Cman68 and Big Blocker like this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Here is what I don't get from the peanut gallery comments regarding Simms.

To the extent that the Simms detractors have a point, how do those same comments not apply to Geno Smith?

He has only been the starter by default due to a lack of competition (Sanchez hurt, Vick was a joke, and Simms according to you guys just doesn't have it).

So why haven't we cut Geno?

How is Geno not a dime a dozen?

Why does he deserve another chance at the expense of us missing the playoffs yet again with him at the helm?

I just don't get it.

PulseJet likes this.
  7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Watch out Jimmy Garoppolo!

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Not to be picayune but Johnny U was the 4th stringer with the Steelers and who didn't see the light of day with them. Among the other three QBs ahead of Unitas was former NFL coach Ted Marchibroda who played his collegiate ball at St. Boneventure University.

Friday trivia: Unitas wanted to attend Notre Dame but then Irish coach Frank Leahy thought him too skinny and that he'd "get murdered" if he were put on the field. Unitas then went to the Univ. of Louisville. The Cards got off to a 1-3 start with the freshman Unitas riding the bench. In the 5th game, Cards coach Frank Kamp decided to start Johnny U. on the road at St. Boneventure. Trailing 19-0 in a rain storm, the freshman threw 3 TD passes to put the Cardinals up 21-19 only to see Bonaventure win the game with a last minute FG 22-21. From there Kamp kept Unitas as the starter and Louisville didn't lose another game that year including wins over NC State, Houston and Southern Miss.

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Well now we can see what other teams think of him.

I believe since he was on the practice squad, any time could sign him, right? No one ever did.

Maybe if he ends up playing in Canada, all the Simms supporters will come to the realization everybody else already knows.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Politics my friend. You don't have to like them, but you have to acknowledge they exist. A 2nd rounder is going to get more time and opportunity than an undrafted FA. Especially an undrafted FA that has shown little to nothing.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I get it to the extent I see it as wishful thinking. That and that Smith is still on his rookie contract, so there's little upside to cutting him.

To be clear I would cut Smith just because I am sick of seeing him play, but that's the fan in me. WOuld I cut him if I was the GM? I think the answer is yes, anyway, but that's a different analysis. Heh.

Anyway, here's what I think is going on with the Smith Fans and their current alliance with the FO Homers:

Now I do have some concerns that Gailey thinks he can be a hero if he turns Smith around. But I think what comes out as indications of support for Smith from the CS and FO is really about making the most of a bad situation. The bad situatoin is they tried, in their first off season, to see if there might be some clean easy move to upgrade the Qb spot, and there wasn't any. The Fitz signing was a fallback, and as of now Fitz is coming back from injury. As of last week with Gailey's presser, they didn't even know if Fitz was in shape enough to look decent in camp. So they said some nice things about Smith, which Bowles this week dialed back some. Imo this may go on right through the summer depending on how quickly Fitz gets up to speed.

But the Smith Fans... they take the nice things said literally, out of context, and engage in wishful thinking. They want to believe the CS and FO are not making the most of a bad situation. They want to believe SMith has already shown the CS some major improvement. But of course there is no evidence of that.

It's a fluid situation. As long as Fitz gets a shot to compete, I remain hopeful this will shake out and we won't have to endure another wasted season watching Smith turn the ball over.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

It's simple - Last season Simms knew he was better than Taj Boyd and could be the #3. This season he realizes Bryce Petty is in the team's plans no matter how well Bryce plays in camp THIS year. Rather than being a late cut, he asked the Jets to release him so he'd have a shot at the beginning of camp with another team, rather than at the end of August. Simms isn't getting any younger, and would like a chance to play.

I liked his arm a lot, and hoped he'd be able to rise higher than he has. No one should lose any sleep over this. We should all wish him well. He doesn't deserve any criticism.

FJF, Cman68, RexontheBeach and 2 others like this.
  13. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

imagine if the pats sign Simms?

the top will blow off around here haha

NY Jets68 and xxedge72x like this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

This is funny reading the comments of the fighting back and forth between the Simms and Geno camps. Its pretty silly when you think about it, since both really have been garbage NFL QB's (thus far). The truth of the matter is that we haven't seen good QB play since Pennington and until someone comes along that's good enough to get behind as a fan base, this kind of bickering won't stop.

15. James Hasty

That would be the only way I would stop rooting for him.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Even though I've criticized Geno I wouldn't cut him. There is talent there, but the team can't start him unless there is a marked upswing on his learning curve. I'd go with Fitz who actually played well with the Texans after a rocky start. The problem with him is he's injured. Hopefully this isn't a worthless signing like Garrard. As for Simms, I'm not going to condemn him by saying he sucks when he hasn't proved it on the field. In Geno's case he has. He sucks.

17. James Hasty

QB is much, much more than raw talent.

What has Geno done to show you that he is getting even 5% of the mental part of the position?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Belichick might sign another Qb but to me he wants a proven vet like maybe a Mike Vick. Or maybe he'll try to sign an ex-NEP Qb to compete with Jimmy G. Unless he thinks Simms is the best available Qb on the market. But I can't see him going with two guys who haven't played (the way we did in 2013).

19. James Hasty

After last year anyone would be insane to sign Vick unless all of their QBs were injured / killed in a plane crash.

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think he can play in the NFL. And two seasons in a row he's played well over the last 4 to 5 games. I don't cut him or start him.