Jets release Matt Simms

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, May 28, 2015.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He had 2 or 3 good games in pre-season and shined whenever given a chance after Geno shit the bed and Sanchez just played OK in those same games (remember Sanchez also played in game 4 resulting in injury.

I love how people will revise history to justify their arguments.

Keep kicking the guy while he is down, if someone gives him an opportunity perhaps you will eat those words.

I am not saying that Simms is a budding all star at this point but Geno is the guy that should be cut.

NYJetsO12 and Big Blocker like this.
  2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Dude not even close. Geno is light years ahead of Simms. I sometimes wonder if im watching the same games as some of the people on this board.

Simms didnt even shine vs back ups. He was mediocre at best.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm happy for Simms. He'll get a chance to start over somewhere and make a career for himself even as a backup. The Jets did right by granting him his release after he requested it. I'm just confused as to why it took Simms this long to ask for his get out of jail card. It wasn't like the writing wasn't on the wall these last few years. So far, this new regime has been classy in their dealings with players. Nothing shady so far although the Wilkerson thing looks to be getting darker.

Good Luck Matt! Wherever you go, I'll be rooting for ya (anywhere except the AFCE)!

PulseJet and Big Blocker like this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's a shame the NFL doesn't have college tape, OTAs, mini camps, training camp, and pre-season games to evaluate a young QB so you don't have to throw away and entire season just to find out about him.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So long to the "Answer" known as Matt Simms

6. LongIslandBlitz

#126 LongIslandBlitz, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It took so long because probably even Matt knows his chances of sticking on an NFL roster are slim to none. He had Rex and the old regime fooled for a while. A famous dad can buy you a bit of time before even the worst of offensive talent evaluators sees right through it. You won't have to worry about him in the AFCE, you probably won't have to worry about him in the NFL period.

We've landed on the moon!

8. LongIslandBlitz

Its typical dilusional Jet fans over reacting ....remeber Mclroy?For some reason Jets fans always think the third and fourth stringers are the answer

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

especially when your first and second stringers absolutely reek to high hell..

10. LongIslandBlitz

[​IMG]

11. BroadwayAaron

This doesn't make you any less foolish for posting something that's been talked about for the past 14 hours in this thread as if it were breaking news.

12. BroadwayAaron

What makes people think Simms is going to get signed somewhere when every team in the league passed on him for 17 weeks last year? It's not like he's gotten better.

13. roger

roger Active Member

Can't wait for him to throw two TDs in garbage time of the third preseason game so I can come here to read the inevitable "I told you we should have kept Simms" thread.

14. LongIslandBlitz

I'm not on here every second of every day I have no idea what's been talked about for 14 hours.You loser,some of you guys take what's posted on here way to serious like someones trying to rewrite the Bible and change things in it

15. BroadwayAaron

16. James Hasty

I predict that I will be the one to start that thread.

17. James Hasty

I see so after two years Simms is not allowed to show any improvement but Geno is going to magically learn to read defenses and stop throwing INTs.

How could I have ever thought otherwise?

18. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Trade Mo Wilkerson and keep Matt Simms! Lmao you are priceless, guy

#138 Charlie Kelly, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Actually Jared Lorenzon is legit comparison to Simms. He was good enough to make an NFL active roster after a pretty good career as an NCAAAF Qb at Kentucky. He never got much of a shot with the Giants because of Eli. Look, I'm not saying 3rd stringers or backups should be starters. And Mark should have been the starter going into 2012 even though he was horrendous down the stretch in 2011. But Mark had enough down time as a regressing player that other Qbs should have seriously been in the mix to replace him. Same goes for Geno. What I'm saying is that you can't categorize players and say they are terrible and don't deserve a chance to play until they prove it on the field. Sure it's easy to say they lost the job in training camp and in practice. But if the starter is bad you have to make a change, at least temporarily. btw Aikman's team was even worse than the Jets.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

Who said this? Simms was not a good college player, showed nothing in camp and practices apparently and showed nothing in the little time he got.

Again, third stringers are a dime a dozen for reason. Only in NY is it a news story when one of them is cut.