Jets release Matt Simms

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, May 28, 2015.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

3rd string quarterbacks don't start because they stink. He's a dime a dozen. A dime a hundred really.

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Some 3rd stringers who get a chance and aren't typecast, which is what you're doing can hold their own. Whereas 1st stringers like Mark Sanchez get 60 starts and don't do shit. Most 3rd stringers were very good college Qbs. So why does Sanchez get 60 starts and Simms none.

3. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Simms didn't look good last year in his preseason game... Only reason he was on Practice squad was because Boyd was worse.

Given his college pedigree, he's had more than enough years in the NFL to prove himself out. Let's see if he makes a roster, or if he is in the McElroy/Ratliff camp.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

if our starting QB's didn't blow so hard all the time no one would ever talk about the 3rd string qb. Until we have a legit qb people will discuss every roster option.

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The guy sucks in one pre-season game and you're saying he's non NFL. Mark has 60 mostly shitty starts and he's a 1st stringer. Again I'll take the unknown any day over the known. In Mark and Geno's case sheer incompetency.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Have you ever looked at Simms' stats and play in college? He sucked then. There are only 2, maybe 3 reasons he's in the NFL. One, there aren't enough good QBs to go around. Two, because of who his old man is. Three, because he has a pretty strong arm.

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

from clipboard to Canton . . .

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Call Belichick.

9. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Nobody knows how Simms has looked in practice, so just basing judgment on preseason games is kind of dumb. This is the second FO/CS that has put him on the back shelf so there must not be much there, I don't know why there is a 4 page thread for this guy. He is a never has been

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

When he first was signed by the Jets we heard reports out of camp that the coaching staff was highly impressed with him. And in exhibition games he played well. In mop up duty in regular season games he was ok. I think this is a rush to judgment. And he had a very limited college career. He wasn't a great NCAAF Qb like a guy also not popular on this site, Tebow was. A player the Jets gave no chance to play (8 total pass attempts) also because of Rex.

11. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Is the Jets cutting him before camp even begins a rush to judgment too? You really think this guy is going to get signed by some team and all of a sudden be an ace passer?

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Name the last third stringer that a.) got a chance and then b.) ended up being a starter. I'll wait.

13. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Not a shocker. No big deal, he was an UDFA third stringer.

14. Turbocharged23

At least Sanchez and Geno were able to compete at the college level, Simms couldn't even do that....

Simms must not have shown much in practice either or the would have been given a shot.

Every higher level of competition you can excel at gives you a leg up. Arguably Simms couldn't even be a starter in college, and the guys ahead of him didn't have a shot at the NFL, so why does he deserve a roster spot?

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

No. But 0 starts isn't a fair evaluation of a Qb here for 3 years and number 2 Qb in 2014. Plus he asked for his release. He'll get signed but I'm not promising he'll make a roster. He was on the practice squad last year and no one claimed him, even Arizona who desperately needed a Qb. I think he's a lot better than the guy AZ signed. But if Mark and Geno are still around why not Simms.

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

We'll start with Kurt Warner. And then Tony Romo. Johnny Unitas. Jeff Garcia. There's many more.

17. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Wish him the best. Hope he proves us wrong but I doubt it. Just isn't good enough.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Never impressed with him. He sucks just like his dad. Can't wait for Simms Sr to call one of our games this year.

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look, I tend to agree that he's probably below average. But I hate pre-judging someone and typecasting anyone. There are 3rd stringers or practice squad guys and UFAs who become good players. And 1st rounders who suck. Like Mark Sanchez.

20. Turbocharged23

I understand the frustration and your overall view, I just think Simms isn't the guy you want to espouse. All the third stringers you have in your mind that succeeded in the NFL did at least SOMETHING in college. Simms really hasn't done anything since high school.

If Simms was Glennon, Mettenberger or even Blake Sims, maybe it would be a different discussion. But we have nothing more than high school tape to use to extrapolate Simms being NFL caliber.

DoubleDecker87 likes this.