Jets release Matt Simms

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, May 28, 2015.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How is calling a guy exactly what he is "bashing" him? Was he not a terrible college QB? Was he not a 3rd/4th stringer here? Was he not cut (twice)? Was he not a practice squad player?

Look at what I just wrote. When someone that fits that description gets cut from any other team, it's a footnote in an offseason thread. It happens here and people feel the need to make more of it than it actually is. Like I said, the "negative" reaction to Simms can bet attributed to the fans that need to make this more than it is.

Sure, but why exactly do you feel the need to put on your cap and hold your shield? Here within lies the problem...

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Then we're ok. I don't care if Simms makes a team or not. I'm not a fan of his. I will say he still hasn't gotten a chance to show on the field what he can do. Whereas others like Geno have been brought to the well too many times. And failed. Simms hasn't because he never was given any significant playing time. I know according to you he never earned it. But either did Geno.

3. BroadwayAaron

Your issue is you don't want to acknowledge politics in professional sports. No 2nd round pick is going to take a seat in year 1 or 2 to an undrafted free agent that couldn't even see the field in college. You don't have to like the fact that politics are a thing, but you have to acknowledge them.

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You're again basically saying that Phil Simms got his son a job on the Jets. And that he got an unfair advantage over other players. Why would the Jets do that for Phil. He was on the Giants and the orgs aren't exactly friends. Everything we heard about Matt over the past three years from the coaching staff was positive. Unless they were lying. And on the field in exhibition games and even mop up duty during the regular season he showed he has NFL talent (imo). He threw a pick against Miami in one of his few appearances but Geno threw dozens. And a lot worse than that one.

5. BroadwayAaron

This is not even close to what I'm saying. What I'm saying has NOTHING to do with Phil Simms so drop that. That's a whole different argument that no one will ever get to the bottom of, but it's ignorant to think his last name has nothing to do with him landing a job after a, for all intents and purposes, bad collegiate career.

You don't draft a QB in the 2nd round, make him your starter, then bench him for an undrafted free agent. The only thing that can even come close to that is the Seahawks signing Matt Flynn to a huge deal then handing Russell Wilson the starting job, but at least Wilson was a successful college QB. There is a certain unspoken, unwritten rule when it comes to draft picks and it is very real.

6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Geno earned it. he showed he was an NFL calibur prospect i college, and showed he was an NFL calibur player(all be it a bad one) in TC/camp/practice/games.

Simms never showed he was an NFL prospect in college, which is why he wasnt drafted.

Then he never showed he deserved to be an NFL player, which is why he was practice squad fodder and cut twice

Simms is not an NFL player, thats why he will never get a chance. he doesnt even remotely deserve consideration for it

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

UFAs can beat out draft picks. And not every college Qb now in the pros was great. Simms was a one year starter at Tenn. And Desmond Howard called him the worst Qb in the SEC. But that was 5 years ago and the guy has been in NFL camps for 3 years so maybe he learned something. Or just is a better fit in professional football than he was in college. Again let the guy prove he sucks based on his play on the field. Not all of these prejudgments that you're handing out.

#407 pclfan, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    ajax likes this.
  8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Geno earned the bench by stinking up the joint for two seasons. He was overall 32 among 32 starters in the NFL last year. Simms didn't play. He couldn't have been worse.

9. BroadwayAaron

You're just going to keep on going in this circle and for as long as you're going to be stubborn and put out the blanket "everyone deserves a chance" there's really no point in continuing on with you.

Every single thing points to Simms being a bad QB... from his play in college (where, like you said, he was called the worst QB in his conference) to his play in the pros and in practice. You can't find a single reason for him getting a shot other than "well Geno stinks". That's dogshit.

What? I mean I borderline don't even wanna waste the keystrokes here but... how do you know a guy can't be worse if he didn't even play?

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Geno was the worst Qb in the league. 32nd out of 32. And you still want to start him. That's pretty sick. I'd give Simms a shot over that. If he sucks then you get rid of him. You had nothing to lose in a 4-12 year.

11. BroadwayAaron

He sucks. They got rid of him.

You're having a very rough time with this whole thing. Let's just let it go. I'll try to wrap it up for you again: the fact that Geno sucked did not mean Simms was good. Everything points to Simms being bad. Your logic for him getting a shot could be said about any civilian off the street. There's a reason Matt Simms is one unexplainable relationship with an NFL head coach away from being a civilian on the street.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

No rough time. I just won't prejudge any player. Or say they don't deserve a chance to play. Many UFAs are a lot better than high draft picks. Again if Simms had any starts last season: he might have been better than Geno. What are you afraid of that the guy might be ok.

13. BroadwayAaron

Round and round we go...

14. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

You play to Win the game!

Herm

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Isn't his new boss the same guy who was his old boss?

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

So if I head down to Florham Park in the next week or so, should I get my shot as QB of the NYJ? Everybody deserves a shot, so why not me?? I can't be worse than Smith. You said so yourself. And how does this work actually? Does everybody who ever threw a football in college deserve a shot? Do the Jets hold open try outs so anybody who played QB in college gets a look? So the Jets end up with 20-25 guys sharing reps in practice at QB because everybody deserves a shot. Then we give each of 16 QBs a chance to start one quarter in the 4 preseason games. Then we start a different QB every other game during the regular season. Best QB gets to ….what? Compete with 20 or more guys again next season.

You are the pigheaded stubborn one with a grudge. You are claiming people hate Simms and that is why they don't buy your everybody gets a trophy argument. In reality, people just see Simms for what he is. A 3-4th string QB at best and those are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Your issue is that you hate Smith and would rather have anyone else at QB and Simms just happened to be on the team at the team, so he is your knight in shining armor. Simms getting cut and not deserving an NFL starting job has nothing to do with Smith. It has to do with Simms, but you are just blinded by your hatred of Smith. Isn't having Fitz and Petty on the team enough for you??? You are really going to freak out when Smith starts against Cleveland on September 13th.

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  17. roger

roger Active Member

Matt Simms sucks.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Simms wasn't the 20th guy trying out for Qb. He was the Jets backup in 2013. He has zero starts and what I'm saying is that he's unproven and I'm not going to pigeon hole him as a bum. You can if you want and be stupid and say he shouldn't even get a sniff. The reason for a backup or no.3 Qb is to play if there's an injury or ineffectiveness by the starter. Well I guess being the lowest rated Qb in the league usually means you get benched. And Geno was benched. But the guy who replaced him was unprepared and it looked like he didn't even want to play. In a 4-12 season why not give the guy a start to see what he could have done. Btw pig headed was my term a few pages ago describing guys like you.

19. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Great post, what sucks is this guy has been told this at least 4 times per page but somehow manages to keep this cycle going with brainless nonsense. He seems dedicated though I'd give him a shot at our QB too.

20. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

He got picked up by the only coach in football that ever showed an interest in him. A testament to Rex's player evaluation skills.

jxc likes this.