Jets release Matt Simms

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, May 28, 2015.

1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

This doesnt really address what I said.

I would never knock a guy for wanting a chance to start. I hope he makes as much money as he possibly can and has a great life. Having said that, his days were numbered here.

But he was picked up by a guy who never really gave him any kind of opportunity to start as it is.

My guess is that Rex was the only offer he got.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

he was taken by Buffalo off of waivers, so he never quite hit FA status, and would not have heard any other offers.

3. jcass10

Where was Buffalo on the waiver wires? Unless they were first, multiple times would have the opportunity to claim him, right?

4. BacktoQueens

about middle of pack, as it's based on record.

if a player has less than 4 yrs accrued experience, he goes on Waivers before becoming a FA.
    While on Waivers, teams are not allowed to speak to the player.

So Simms could not have heard offers from other teams.
    The only way a team could have prevented Buffalo from taking him, would be if they also put in a Waiver claim (without speaking to Simms), and had a waiver priority higher than Buff.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/3/5351372/2014-nfl-waiver-wire-how-it-works-guide

in other words, he was scooped up quickly by a team showing strong interest, and he never actually hit FA.
    it wasn't a situation where he was home on the sofa, and Buffalo was the only team calling.

5. jcass10

But if they were middle of the pack, wouldnt that mean that half the teams decided not to claim him as well?

And he was also never claimed off the practice squad last year.

I'm not saying he's the worst QB of all time, but clearly he is not very valued in the NFL.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

With zero and I mean zero expectations coming out of college Simms has carved out a roster spot for himself now for a fourth NFL season.

We drafted a guy last year and Simms fought him off to keep his job.

Give the kid a break already.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

@mikerodak: Matt Simms says he's glad to be in Buffalo where he feels "welcomed." Adds he didn't feel "same respect" with NYJ

8. jcass10

What do you mean give him a break? Am I being hard on the guy? His expectations coming out of college mean nothing right now. He already overachieved in that aspect. He has had a successful career considering what many projected him to be.

He seems like a good guy and I already said I hope he has a super successful career and makes all the money he can. Its great that he was able to break into the NFL despite below average college production.

My only point was that I would be surprised if he had much value among the 32 NFL teams. He could have been signed off a PS last season and he wasnt. I'm not sure of the waiver order exactly, but if it goes by draft order than 18 teams decided not to claim him (could be more or less).

If he went anywhere outside of the AFC East I'd be pulling for him to start and have a great year. But lets not act like the Jets let some gem go.

He was released and the only team that we know of that was interested was his previous coach.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Laughable. What respect does he command? He's a practice squad player.

10. BacktoQueens

no it doesn't mean they weren't interested in Simms.
    it just means they didn't choose to use their waiver to claim him.
    i don't know all the technical details behind it, but there are different conditions to signing a guy off of FA versus the waiver.
    teams often prefer to wait till FA, unless it is a hotter commodity.

you are drawing straws here.
    we are talking about a fringe QB landing a job, and you are trying to critique how far up the waiver boards he was claimed?
    lol, it's an accomplishment to get claimed anywhere. it means some team made him a priority, and there could have been others..
    and that's not even factoring in FA opportunities.

11. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Wow. If not for us this bum would've been retired from football 5 years ago. He should be thankful we gave him his shot regardless if he felt welcomed or not when the new regime came in. We'll see how he feels about Buffalo in a couple months when they let him go.

12. jcass10

My entire point was that he more than likely doesnt have much value as an NFL QB.

Thats all I addressed with my first post. He could have been signed last year off our practice squad and he wasnt.

He isnt a hot commodity. That is all I was trying to get at.

13. BacktoQueens

He's a fringe QB who has never started a game.
    of course he's not considered a valuable QB.
    teams aren't lining up to promote a guy like that to the 53 in Sept, when they don't even know their offense.

it's an honor for him to even have been a waiver claim, as now he has a legit shot to make a team.
    he wasn't going to have that chance here, due to the other QB moves we made this offseason.
    and he didn't want to be in the position of looking for a team in Sept, due to the point i made above.
    a guy like that needs to have gone thru a camp to even be considered for the 53.

there's a lot of Simms knocking here, and there really is no reason for it.

14. jcass10

I dont disagree with any of this. I also havent knocked Simms once. I've actually said a few times, that I hope he sticks around the NFL and makes as much money as he can.

I see very little knocking of Simms, what I see is people trying to explain the Simms stigma to those who think the Jets did him a disservice by not starting him.

I would guess that most are actually rooting for the guy to succeed.

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The Simms hatred is probably for two reasons: 1. hatred for his father and the insane idea that Phil got his son a job with the Jets. And that got him preference over other Qbs. Unproven, of course and just a creation of their prejudice and paranoia. And 2. a pigheadedness about everything that these guys show on a regular basis. It doesn't matter what the subject either. They are small minded and have decided someone is not worthy of even trying out for a team. What do they care, anyways. It's not bread off their table.

#395 pclfan, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You are taking this far too personally. It's an internet message board discussing a 3rd/4th string QB. Only in NY, and only on this site is it a big deal to some people that a practice squad player got cut. And what you don't realize is that no one has anything against Simms... at least me personally... I have something against the people that feel the need to go to bat for him as if he's anything other than a run of the mill NFL flameout.

17. BacktoQueens

if you look above.....you'll see comments like 'bum' , 'laughable', and 'flameout' throughout this thread.
    there's tons of knocking going on.

granted, you haven't been bashing him, so that wasn't meant towards you.
    i only responded to your post, as you mentioned you'd bet Rex was the only one that called. others commented that he was waiting around, and no other offers were coming.
    just wanted to clarify he was selected off waivers, never actually hit FA, and thus was signed as quickly as possible.

18. jcass10

Makes sense.

I'll never knock a guy for working hard to keep his job and making his money. But the internet has a lot of tough guys.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

20 pages in this thread...
    how many people are crying that we've lost some great talent?

you are bashing him.....and are trying to rationalize that bashing.

thank him for his time, and wish him luck.
    like you said, he's a third stringer who we didn't have room for any longer.
    it doesn't warrant a bashing any more than it would warrant crying.

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Alright then. My question for you is: does Matt Simms have the right to be in the NFL. And try out for a team. Doesn't matter about his father or his college stats. Should he be allowed to compete?