Jets release Matt Simms

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, May 28, 2015.

1. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

This is very similar to the argument I brought up to pclfan. When Eli sucked ass for multiple years why didn't Jared Lorenzen get a shot? At least he was actually productive in college, setting school records in total offense, passing yards, and passing TD's at Kentucky.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Do you really give a shit about Jared Lorenzen?

3. RexontheBeach

Nope. I don't give a shit about Simms either, so it's mutual.

4. RexontheBeach

My argument for Lorenzen was made to counter pcl's thinking that depth Qb's deserve starting opportunities to prove their worth. I don't think either deserved a starting rep.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Do you consider Bryce Petty as depth?

I think the debate is going to center around him sooner than later.

6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

by week 6 I'm guessing, never seems to fail

7. RexontheBeach

At this point in time, yes. IMO that's a different argument. Simms went undrafted, while petty went late largely due to the style of his college offense. Petty was extremely productive in college while Simms was hardly serviceable.

I'd like to consider Smith depth in his rookie season, but Sanchez got hurt and Geno was thrusted into the starter position prematurely (thanks Rex). That was Simms time to prove something, but obviously he didn't. The coaching staff must have seen more skill at the position in Geno Smith.

That's really the only reason why I advocate Geno starting this season. Hopefully some of those silly decisions have departed with Rex.

8. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Hahaha..http://nypost.com/2015/06/01/is-this-unknown-backup-the-answer-to-rex-ryans-qb-search/
    Ryan also added another quarterback he’s familiar with, signing ex-Jet Matt Simms. The Bills released Jeff Tuel and added Simms, a Bergen County, NJ, native and son of Giants Super Bowl winner Phil Simms, who’d been a Gang Green backup the past two years. So we now know he will be on a NFL team.

Not that I care one way or another but I do hope he gets a better chance than he was given here.

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

He's on a division rival now. Pulling for him to be successful is anti- Jet. I hope he starts because that means Cassel and Manuel failed and I would love for the Jets defense to face Siims twice next season.

JetsNation06 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

Maybe Rex just wanted to ask Simms if its really that much better now that hes gone?

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We should've kept him on the roster and forced Rex to trade for him.

James Hasty likes this.
  12. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Classy move by Todd. Also Matt being delusional. He should put in some tape of his performances here and then ask himself if he earned a roster spot, let alone a chance to start for this team. Ridiculous.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Nice to see that Matt is just as delusional as his fanboys. Not for nothing Matt, this is now two head coaches and three OCs who wouldn't give you a shot. At some point, when does the onus fall on you?

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What exactly was delusional about him asking for his release when he was told the situation wasn't going to be favorable to him? What onus needs to fall on him here? He was told the limited opportunity he would be getting here and took it upon himself to ask for a release to seek a better opportunity. Did you want him to stick around and rot in a place where there was little to no opportunity for him?

BTW, it was his prior head coach that picked him up so, yea.

Charlie Kelly likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He gave up a job that might well have paid him $500k this season so he'd have a better opportunity to actually play. It's a bit delusional given the reality of his situation but it's not like he didn't put something on the line when he made the decision.

He probably wouldn't have gotten a roster spot, but he proactively went for his best shot - which was with a team other than the Jets that hadn't already decided he was just camp fodder.

Charlie Kelly likes this.
  16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look I'm not saying Matt is good, but being rejected by two head coaches is no big deal. There's a ton of rejection in the NFL. If he thinks he can be a good NFL Qb that's all that counts. There are many naysayers (like you) who say just quit. I think he has a chance to make the Bills. As for him only getting a roster spot on the Jets because of his dad: total nonsense. If it's true give us a link.

17. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Talk about a competitor. Just quit, don't bother to compete for a job. We sure missed out on something great.

Also, the delusional part kicks in when he starts talking about how he felt like he had to move on because he wasn't going to be given a chance to compete for the starting job. He's crazy.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Matt went from no. 2 to 4. And maybe he had a talk with Gailey or Bowles and they told him he wasn't going to make the team. Because they are going with their draft pick who they will have to carry on the active roster. Simms knew other teams were interested. According to reports he thought the Falcons were going to claim him but Rex did instead. The Jets didn't have to release him just because he asked them to. He had a contract. But basically he knew he was only going to be an insurance policy in case of injuries.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Delusional is thinking he is good enough to warrant a chance. Obviously he shouldn't think that way because he's a professional athlete (or he's trying to be) and every professional athlete should strive for the top, but that doesn't mean there's no delusion and grandeur along the way. Your point abotu his former coach picking him up only reinforces the fact that he's not an NFL QB. The one and only guy who has given him a shot is the one and only guy to give him a shot again. And I use the term "shot" loosely.

You don't think he knew Rex would pick him up? For whatever reason, Rex has a stiffy for this guy and he's probably guaranteed a practice squad role for as long as Rex is an NFL coach. Yes, he put something on the line, but he also had a pretty fail-proof safety net.

There's no link to logic. He was a bad college QB. What bad college QB gets a shot in the NFL ever?

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

if Rex had a stiffy for the guy he'd played him when his previous quarterbacks were shitting all over themselves. If anything I think he was hoping Buffalo hadn't have put in a claim so he could've chose his opportunity. As is, he's going from 1 unfavorable numbers game (a team with 3 other messy QBs) to another.