Jets release Matt Simms

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, May 28, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

So wtf do you want to talk about then. Highlights of great Jets history. That won't take long. It isn't as if any of us have a life. I apologize for my part in this fiasco, I really mean it. But every time I was going to pack it in and shut up some moron threw a log into the fire. I couldn't help myself so I had to take shots at their illogic.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

When you are an undrafted free agent those constitutes as "shots". Greg McElroy stepped in a game back in 2012 against the Cardinals and moved the offense and helped us win that game , that IS how you take advantage of a "shot". Did Greg get 1st team reps that week? I doubt it. And because of his play in that game he made the coaching staff look at him differently. Simms did nothing to make the coaching staff view him as nothing more than a 3rd/4th string qb.

3. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I never got a shot either.... and im a season ticket holder! should we blame rex, idzik or tanny for that?

Simms didnt get a shot because he isnt an nfl player. he was arguably not a college player either.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Well everybody should get a shot (in life) including you and me. Simms is an NFL player and he was second string in 2013. I would have liked to see him get a real chance to play because Geno sucks. If he was horrible then ok. He started one season at Tennessee a big time program. Sometimes in college football things don't work out for a player. Some good Qbs bounce around between different programs and never find a good fit. He's with the Bills and there was reportedly interest from other teams like Atlanta. To say he doesn't deserve a chance is thick headed and idiotic.

James Hasty likes this.
  5. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

What? They cant do that! Who are we gonna call for to come in when both Geno and Fitz suck shit

6. jerseyjay14

he already got to be on an NFL roster despite not deserving it. thats more then a chance then he should have gotten. he sucked at tennessee. another place he didnt deserve to be,

how about all the kids who dont even get those chances, who dont have a dad to get them in?

simms deserves nothing, and is lucky with what he has

RexontheBeach likes this.
  7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We should all have to write essays about why we love Geno Smith,And a short story on Willie Colon

8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't comprehend your hate for Simms. Maybe it has to do with his father and he's the one you hate. I don't get it.

James Hasty likes this.
  9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

How about Drew Willy? Shouldn't he have gotten a shot? He had a much better college career and just as good an arm as Simms. Why didn't he get a shot? Under your criteria there would be a different starting QB every other game so everyone gets a shot. It's like the NFL version of communism. You would be the Karl Marx of coaches. I hate to break it to u, but the NFL is a meritocracy and Simms as evaluated every day for two plus seasons.

Should Drew Willy have been given a preseason start in 2011? I'm still pissed that he was cut in preseason without being given a "shot." What do you thin? He had to better than Brunel and McElroy and maybe even Sanchez, but he didn't get a chance. Everybody deserves a chance under your rules, so what about Willy?

10. roger

roger Active Member

Willy sucks.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Saw a blurb on PFF about Manuel competing head to head with Cassell and Simms for the staring QB job. Anyone know if Buff signed Simms?

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Simms might have a chance to make the Bills. They have Greg Roman as Oc and he's notoriously conservative. I was in the Bay Area in December and listened to the 49ers pre game show on radio (the game they lost to the Raiders) and even the 9er radio guys were ripping him and his offense. And Rex is on record as wanting a ground and pound and they traded to get McCoy, so they want Qbs who could run that offense. Rex and Lee just might think Simms is a good fit. Right now on paper it looks like logically Cassel has the inside track to be their starter. But if EJ doesn't work out and they get rid of him it could open up the backup job for Matt.

James Hasty likes this.
  13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

But Simms should have more than a shot as 3rd or 2nd string, shouldn't he? He should be provided a shot at starting because Cassel and Manuel stink and Simms may be great. Under your theory, Simms should start a preseason game or two and 3-4 regular season games to see what he has. Right? And what about my Drew Willy question?

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Willy was in camp as 4th or 5th Qb for a short period of time and bounced around practice squads etc and is now a starter in the CFL. The difference was that Simms was on the active squad and was backup in 2013. He was higher up on the Jets food chain than Willy was when he was here. If he got NFL starts how would he have done. I'm not going to put the guy down and say he would have failed. (like you will). If given the kind of kid glove treatment and all the reps and the starts Mark and Geno got he might have progressed and been ok.

15. jerseyjay14

you dont have to hate someone to point out they arent good at what they do.

i think the only thing that is odd is why anyone would defend somsone to the death who has done nothing to earn an opportunity and was handed roster spots he doesnt deserve in both college and the pros.

I mean, it is pretty simple. he wasnt some all american in high school, he was bad in college and could even hold down a starting job there, he wasnt good enough to get drafted, he wasnt good enough to get a shot on the jets, and he wasnt good enough for any of the 31 teams to sign him off our practice squad.

if it walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, its a duck. and matt simms is a duck.

16. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

No. Trust me. Simms would never have started for the Ducks. Maybe in the mid-70's. But that's about the only time.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

17 pages on Simms. Unbelievable the things that happen during the offseason..

19. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NY Jets68 and Cman68 like this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

jerseyjay14 likes this.