Jets- Redskins blockbuster trade Mock Draft.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Mar 25, 2019.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

NC - The Jets we’re lucky to have the benefit flexibility (stupidity?) last year with having Mayfield/Darnold 1A/B.

Teams usually lock in on 1 guy and go get him (at least this is my perception).

If I’m the Giants and I don’t have a 1A/B and I’m in love with Haskins, I’m going to move to get him.

If the Giants have a 1 A/B/C player in mind then they may feel okay about staying there.

That’s what I meant by the way the draft boards are situated. We still only have a vague idea of how the Jets ranked their QBs last year. So I’m not confident any moves will be made before the draft.

I think having more QBs being considered in the top 10 makes the Jets’ position stronger.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

also, IMO any trade down within the top 10 is a win for us.

I’m very confident we move down.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That is the perfect storm right there. I'd love it, but I can't see Lock going in the top 5, nor can I see 4 QBs in the top 10. This isn't last year's class.

I also think Murray to the Cards is a smokescreen to make people want to trade with them for a guy that isn't really worth a #1 overall.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with all your points. I'm just saying it could happen the other way. It's not bloody likely, but knowing the Jets' luck, it could happen to us. Hopefully, karma has changed, but we've been bitten a lot in the past.

GQMartin likes this.
  5. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

themorey likes this.
  6. Sam Hammer

I heard that the Giants were talking to the Cardinals about trading for Rosen. If it goes through it will mean 2 things:

1. Murray is going #1
    2. Giants will not be trading up for QB

Therefor the Jets would be unlikely to trade down, and be guaranteed Bosa or Allen at 3. So good news for the StayAt3ers but bad news for the TradeDowners.

Arizona still hasn't officially said they are willing to trade him, but multiple teams are interested and one allegedly offered a 2nd. Apparently the Patriots and Chargers are also considering it.

https://nfltraderumors.co/report-pa...josh-rosen-cardinals-looking-for-1st-rd-pick/

Of course nobody really knows though. Could all be bs at this point. It's funny to hear all the stories.

#46 Sam Hammer, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  7. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

The nice thing is that the stayers and the tradedowners is that we are both equally right and wrong.

We either get an elite draft prospect at three who will fill a great need or we get to restock our draft cupboard with some badly needed extra picks. Win/win

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Let the fun begin. Rumors Rumors and more Rumors.

1. From Joe Klatt and NYPost: Giants, Patriots Chargers want Rosen: https://nypost.com/2019/03/27/giants-among-three-teams-in-hunt-for-josh-rosen-ex-qb/

2. SI Mock: Jets and Giants trade. 6, their 2nd 36 and 2020 number 1. If true lets do it right now.

3. Bucs and Raiders love Devin White. Would move up to 3 for him. Stick to Football podcast. Look at the Trubisky for that. A three this year, a four this year and a three next year.

30 days out. Let the rumors begin. Get us a boatload for three. We have so many needs we need as many picks as possible to fill our glaring holes.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

#2 - hmmmm.....thats a decent trade for the jets. the points are just about wash when u take OUT next years pick. But garnishing it with the 2020 first rounder sweetens the deal. do think its safe to assume the giants will be picking in the top 15 next year so that's at least 1000 draft points. giants could win 7 games next year or they could win 2. really tough call.

Noam and FJF like this.
  10. Sam Hammer

Agreed, that is the good thing about getting the Giants or Redskins picks from next year. The Jets can still improve as a team and get a top 10 level pick.

ColoradoContrails, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I want to end up with a 2 this year and a 1 next year if we move down.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  12. spinjani

spinjani Member

I really hope we can fleece the Redskins, especially for 2020 picks. If we can trade the 3 for this year's first and a lower round pick (I'm hoping 3rd round) and also pick up next year's 1st, 2nd, and maybe 3rd, that would be incredible. With this year's first you can get a decent edge rusher, and three 3rd round picks work something out to get a center, and then have a killer draft next year. If needed for that edge this year, even trade up from the Redskin's 15 by offering one or two of the third round picks. Didn't the Jags do something like that a few years back and come away with a big part of their defense that way?

I think the Skins went 1-5 after Alex Smith got injured so imagine how bad they will be with a rookie qb. We could really pick up some major talent that way, more worth than either Bosa or Allen would provide, although I would have to really think about it if Bosa were available.

13. spinjani

spinjani Member

Lol, just saw that I agreed with other posters from earlier in the thread, not adding too much to the discussion.

What about the Broncos and Bengals? Any chance they would come up for Haskins or Q Williams or even Josh Allen (I would expect us to keep the pick if it were Bosa)? I would personally wait to replace Andy Dalton for a little while, if I were the Bengal's GM, but I think Andy was pretty poor last year and they haven't done much for their fans this year while Dorsey is killing it just a few miles away.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This year's 2nd round pick would be more vaulable than next year's 2nd and 3rd combined, as future picks are valued at a round lower during the present draft. I'd rather get their 1st, 2nd, and 4th or 5th this year and their 1st next year. Plus, it sounds like you're advocating trading up to get a center, and the Jets cannot afford to trade up. They need to use every pick on upgrading their roster at as many positions as possible.

15. spinjani

spinjani Member

From what I understand next year's picks are devalued because no one knows where they will end up, while you can be sure of this year's picks. So it's a bird in the hand vs two in the bush type of thinking, but since it's highly probable that the Redskins will be picking at lower than 15 next year, we are more likely to be able to ask for more picks as long as they are in 2020 (for example the first 3 2020 rounds vs only the first and second this year), which in the long run would actually be more beneficial, since they won't be at 15 or better next year.

16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I'd do it in a heartbeat too but don't think it'd be that much. I think it'd be a 1st, 2nd, and third. Be interesting to see how the next few weeks plays with rumors and other deals.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The rule of thumb when trading a future draft pick is you devalue it one round to determine trade value. For example a 3rd rounder in 2019 = 2020 2nd rounder = 2021 1st rounder. Five or six hmm maybe 10 years ago I read a draft board point analysis of all of the previous 5 years of trades involving future draft picks and the result correlated almost identically in practice to this rule of thumb.

jilozzo likes this.
  18. spinjani

spinjani Member

I think I understand where you're coming from and your explanation, what I mean is that I expect the Redskins to be so bad that their pick next year will almost surely be worth more than this year's in terms of the player selected. Not the worth in terms of points, but in reality for what can be achieved. The draft board analysis probably considered mostly teams that traded up to get an impact player that brought them closer to the playoffs immediately, which is why they would trade a future higher pick. I don't think that applies when selecting a qb because his growing pains will usually hurt the team and result in a higher pick the next year.

A little bit of a best case scenario example: last year the Cards gave up the 15th, 79th and 152nd (1276 points) to the Raiders for the 10th pick (1300 points) to select Rosen. If the Raiders had asked for the 79th, 152nd (226 points) and a future 1st and 2nd (at that time 580 + 265), the Raiders would seemingly have the worse part of the deal (1071 points at that time) but in reality would now have the 2019 1st pick and the 33rd pick. No one would say that Kolton Miller (OT), the Raider's pick on the 15th is worth both Nick Bosa and the 33rd pick.

The point is probably moot because I doubt that the Redskins would agree to that trade anyway, especially after the RGIII fiasco.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yes. just like last year it was clear that 4 Qbs were going top 10 (baker 1, darnold 3, allen 7, rosen 10) and yet the jets and bills both traded up. If the giants feel that oakland may try and take the QB they like at 4, it makes sense for them to jump to 3 to get their guy

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That would be a nightmare if Rosen goes to the Pats.

Sam Hammer likes this.