Jets: please draft Brian Leonard!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by gmay8, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Phyr

Phyr Member

Just look at how many H-back/TE/FBs we went through this season.

2. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I don't think he is necessarily saying he is a bad player, just not worthy of a high pick due to his position.

3. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I would only draft Leonard in the 3rd round i feel we would still need a more talented rb than Washington and Leonard in the backfield.

4. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

everyone sucks off brian leonard...we hardly use the fullback, hence us not resigning the greatest fullback of all-time jerald sowell...i'm sick of every rutgers fan (which all of a sudden there millions of, no bandwagon at all i promise) saying "draft leonard! he is the greatest! 1st round pick! blah blah blah"

5. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

precisely...

6. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

He's still pretty versatile but is he that much better than B.J.Askew

7. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

hes 1000x times better. Brian Leonard is the Reggie Bush of FBs.

Also to those who are so opposed to drafting Leonard in the 2nd, who do you want to draft in the 2nd. I dont think we need to go defense with our first 3 picks(1st and 2 2nds). I think we can afford to go defense with 2 of the 3 and Leonard with one fo the 2nds. We drafted 2 special teamers in the 3rd last yr, i think we can use a 2nd on Leonard. I like the idea of having Brad Smith and Leonard in the huddle and confusing the shit out of defenses.

#27 PRPitbull, Dec 4, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  8. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

It doesn't take much to be better than Askew. The Jets need a pure blocking FB, being able to catch is not a requirement (although it would be nice). If you don't think a blocking is important, take a loot at what Alexander (Seattle) thinks of his FB. Whether the FO wants to spend a high pick on the position, or if Leonard fills this role, is another story. But, IMO, it is a need.

9. GeorgeCoztanza

GeorgeCoztanza New Member

It will depend on how high he will go and what the Jets need on Draft day. I will say, though, that he does seem to fit the Mangini mold. He's an intelligent, versatile character guy who does little things right.

10. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I think Leonard may be getting a little overrated here for being on Rutgers. Before being jumped on by people I know he is a good player but we have many more important needs than FB. Especially as high as the second round. I would say the more pressing needs are CB, Depth at LB and DL and OL, and maybe a midtear or top tear running back. I would rather have good depth at those spots than a FB in the second round. Just look at the Giants this year. Their whole team is injured and they need to use their backups. We have gotten really lucky this year with no injuries but we need to prepare for them in the future if we want to be a good team

11. jetmike

jetmike New Member

Brian Leonard will be a Jet. The jets will draft him in the second round. I think it will be a lock. He is a Mangini guy. Great player great pick in 2007.

12. Sean Ryan

Sean Ryan Banned

Leonard is not a true full back.. whoever said that is an idiot. He was the half back before Rice came along.

Also you have the better chance seeing the Jets draft the baby Jesus to play DE in the 2nd round. Brian Leonard is not going to the Jets in the 2nd round. Period.

13. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

It is far too early to project who will be available where, but the positions I would want the Jets to look at (drafting Best Available) on the first day are:
    OLB, DE, NT, RB, WR/TE (big guy), OG, CB

..in no particular order.

14. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

The fact that he can be replaced at the college level means he is not a good running back. Sure he can be a flex player but how many flex players do you need. We already have Brad Smith who can seem to do everything. I would much rather get a blocking fullback that will help our running backs... I just don't think Leonard would make a difference here as much as depth on defense and o-line would. If you want to be a good-great team, which is where we hope to go, you need to compensate for injuries. Also, I think we are overrating Leonard a little bit being from the NJ area and watching Rutgers go on their unbelievable run.

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

No need to call anyone an idiot in this thread. Chill. No, I'm not a mod, but being respectable and polite is still my preferred modus operendi. You are being well... rude. What's wrong with a civil discussion?

I think Leonard being a local kid is a bit over hyped. He might turn into a Mike Alstott, or a Brian Finn, which aint too bad, but not worth a second rounder I don't think. FB's are the classic late round find. Drafting him would be more good PR than a solid draft pick as far as the first day picks go.

16. Sean Ryan

Sean Ryan Banned

very good point

17. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

He was replaced by a Heisman candidate. You can't seriously hold that against him.

I also don't understand how you can have a problem with a flex player that can do everything very well. He's a very good runner, a very good receiver, and a very good blocker. Just because he's good at the first two doesn't mean he can't do the last one. That's like saying you'd rather have a one-dimensional receiver than a jack of all trades (which pathetically enough, is something I have read on this site in the past).

I'm fine with your opinion on his impact on this team. I'm not sure if we really need him. But he would certainly be an upgrade at FB at every aspect of the position. The only question is how effective would the coaching staff make him. His talents are definitely there, however (despite losing the starting RB job).

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

this offense doesnt use the FB. Maybe cause theyre not impressed with who's on the roster. But our coordinator comes from SD. Neal was just a blocker there. We dont use the FB in the passing game because he stays in for pass pro while we use multiple WR sets and motion to create open passing lanes.

I'm not drafting a tweener RB/FB who wont be utilized in this offense. Maybe if this were the Falcons or Colts. Basically I'm saying he's going to be good wherever he goes, but if he came to NY I dont think we'd use him enough.

19. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

You guys who are saying he was "replaced" and that he is a "tweener" are dead wrong.

Early on in his career, he was the best runner on a team that had very little talent. As the talent level has improved around him, Rutgers was able to better utilize his abilities. He is one hell of a blocker, and one hell of a pass catcher, in addition to being a decent runner. He is not a tweener at all. He is a solid FB with all the abilities you could ever want in a FB.

20. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

stats from the previous 3 years:

2003: 213 att for 880 yds and 9tds
    53 rec for 488 yds and 5 tds

2004: 199 att for 732 yds and 7 tds
    61 rec for 518 yds and 2 tds

2005: 173 att for 740 yds and 11 tds
    55 rec for 568 yds and 6 tds

2006: 82 att for 379 yds and 5 tds
    36 rec for 288 yds and 0 tds

wheww, those are some god awful numbers for a FB who had defenses queing on him...

oh yeah, led his team in receptions 3 out of his 4 seasons.

also, if you've seen any Rutgers games this season, you would see how much they used him as a blocker both in the running game and even more so in the passing game, but he still got around 10 touches a game.

#40 PRPitbull, Dec 5, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006