Jets place WR’s Enunwa and Bellamy on PUP list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, May 5, 2020.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I don’t understand the point in even keeping Bellamy. He’s mostly a special teamer that we have better options for anyway and he is a fringe receiver. I assume they are holding onto Enunwa because there is 0 incentive to release him anyway. With the PUP list moves I believe that frees up additional roster spots for the team to add players.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Thomas remains a prime target to come back. The more likely these guys have less time to work together, the better chance you will have someone that has experience in Gase’s offense coming in.

FJF likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It was somebody in a thread that afternoon, I presume it will be in one of the why didn't we sign a WR threads lol

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I have to work out exactly how much money Mike Maccagnan wasted in his tenure with the Jets, however I'm fairly sure he is over $100M at this point in payments to players for which the Jets basically got nothing or very little value in return.

That includes year two and three of the Darrelle Revis deal, the Quincy Enunwa deal, the Trumaine Johnson Deal, the first year of the C.J Mosley and LeVeon Bell deals, etc.

Hard to believe but Mac was a worse judge of long-term contracts than he was a drafter.

themorey and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OK, so it was a poster here rather than a professional football analyst or scout, or even someone in the media. Yes, I did see one or two who said that here, but have heard/seen no one elsewhere make that claim. I respectfully disagree with the posters here who said it.

I respect their opinions but don't think he will need to be brought along that slowly, and unless the Jets get a lot more out of Perriman and Doctson than I think, the Jets aren't going to have the luxury to bring him along that slowly. They're going to have to throw him to the wolves.

#65 NCJetsfan, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    K'OB likes this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I find that hard to beleve.

Nah I think it was just poor talent evaluation. A problem the Jets have had for a very long time.

That and constant turnover in the front office.

Can't properly evaluate their own players that they see day in day out during the season how could they properly evaluate other team's players or college players?

That's why we have to suffer these Adams trade rumors they can't evaluate talent.

For all the grief MacCagnan gets nowadays he really did find a few cornerstone type players gamechangers to build around Robby, Adams, hopefully Darnold & Quinnen but he missed waaaay too many times. I do believe he would've re-signed Robby & Adams for sure Douglas already lost Robby and I have doubts about him re-signing Adams because the rumors just won't go away.

We lose Adams this looks like a total tear down rebuild.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This should be the end of the road for Enunwa. If he doesn't want to wind up in a chair for the rest of his life, his football career is essentially over. I don't see how in good conscious any team would consider signing him or him even passing a team's physical to get clearance to play. He was a good Jet for the time we had him, but you have to know when to fold...

Hey Quincy? Its time..

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yes, it was just one of us pal.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It probably is but he can’t retire and leave all that money on the table. So he has to hang on the pup list until the jets can eat the cap hit to release him or work out an injury settlement, he collects his money and rides off into the sunset.

Cman68 likes this.
  10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

How many croc tears have U shed over this news JWN winner? :mad:

11. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

WR is considered one of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL. We didn't draft him, so remove the fact that he was drafted in the 1st round out of your mind. Who cares what he did for his rookie year, I don't even count that, it's a learning year. And last year he was injured....so yeah, I consider him only having played 2 years, in which he got 500 yards in each year, when he's young, and most likely will improve with the experience he's gained (hoping that outpaces any negatives related to his 2019 injury). Does he get close to 500 yards with more targets likely going to Perriman, Crowder, Herndon and Mims? Probably no. But a WR who has shown he's capable of 500 yard seasons early in his career, being the 5th option on this team, isn't something that concerns me.

Perriman...another 1st round situation, who cares, we didn't draft him. I said he averaged 500 yards over the last 2 seasons. If anything, it's good that he had less yards the 1st of those 2 seasons, because that shows improvement. He also had to deal with a new team, and a new QB, and now he has experience in that situation going to his 4th team. Sure he looks like a journeyman so far, but I'm not calling him our franchise WR.

Your whole "Prove it deal" rationale....I'm happy that's how our GM structured it as there is risk, but if anything, that's great for us since that can only provide more motivation to succeed and give us production.

My whole point was not that we have a great WR corps, but that we're better than last year. Is there risk? Sure. Is it the long term plan? No. But we should be much more capable of moving the chains in 2020 compared to 2019 (assuming/hoping we have a season).

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

To do what? Give up millions of guaranteed dollars because the Jets were foolish enough to guarantee them?

Q is going to retire the minute the Jets have finished paying him. It's what I would do. It's likely what you would do.

This is not about Q being a greedy bastard it's about the Jets being idiots.

Cman68, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

But we aren't better. We lost someone who has over 3000 yards in 4 seasons and picked up 3 players who haven't hit that don't have 3000 combined in the nfl with 8 seasons total. There is no way to prove we are better. We MAY be better. But we MAY as well be worse. Mims is the odd factor as he could be great or he could bust. He has played a down in the nfl yet. We don't know. The other 2 have less production combined in just as many years each. And that's not even adding in DTs production.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. JETS1116

I see where you are coming from, and I didn't realize Thomas had 400+ yards last year. But I just think its Apples to Oranges as Robby was the #1 Target on our team, and the other 2 weren't. If Perriman was on the 2019 Jets instead of Robby, I could see Perriman putting up a similar stat line.

Robby Anderson, IMO, had the benefit of being on a terrible offense and would once in a while break free and have a long TD, and in a way, padded his stats. He was never a reliable WR to move the chains.

If we look at these 4 WRs and their last ~2 full seasons, Robby gets a first down 64% on each catch. DT 63%, Perriman 81%, Doctson 71%.

% of First Downs on Targets: Robby 34%, DT 41% compared to Doctson 36% and Perriman 44%.

Robby vs. Perriman YPC: Robby 15.0, Perriman 18.9.
    Robby vs Perrimain YPT: Robby 8.1, Perriman 10.4

So compared to Robby, Perriman gets more yards per catch, catches more of his passes (55% to 54%) and more of his catches/targets go for first downs.

There are still other variables that go into this, such as the offense, what corner they are facing, what QB is throwing them the ball. But I'm sick of hearing how much of a loss Robby was. He was replaceable, and I think JD did a good job replacing him for cheaper.

Mims is definitely going to be the difference, and hopefully he is more Allen Robinson than Stephen Hill.

BrickcityJet and Mogriffjr like this.
  15. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

See I was all for letting Anderson walk. I as well think he was over rated. He wasn't that great and I wanted better. I though we could draft a wr in the 2nd AND 3rd in this deep class and then take shots at a few FA. Instead we got a safety. There are 8 decent safeties in FA right now. We have Maye and Adams. We had no reason to take a safety. The edge we took was draft 2 rounds early. The last corner we traded for we didn't need any of those or multiple should have been used on a receiver. Yes they would be just like Mims, questionable. But the more resources you used to try to fix a problem the more likely it gets fixed. As of now we don't know if we are better (or worse) and our chances aren't as high.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I'm all for JDs approach. He is a breath of fresh air.

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

A better offense of Line make your receivers better.

18. JETS1116

100% agree with you on the 3rd round. I wasn't a fan of the Ashytn Davis pick, would much rather have drafted a few WRs this draft and hopefully one of them sticks (like Enunwa, who was the 3rd Jets WR of that draft class, with Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans being busts, hell Evans never played in a game as a 4th round pick). I've read that Davis started college as a corner, but hopefully they don't try to get cute and attempt to make that transition. I try to not make any snap judgments until these guys play, as I'm not in the business and these guys get paid to do this, but in all honesty, us Jets fan haven't seen many draft picks work out in the recent past.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The WR corps is more talented than last year, we’ll see if they are actually better. I do have hope they will be better just by having Sam healthy for hopefully 16 games and the line being able to protect him.

There is certainly hope that Sam is the type of talent to elevate the players around him when he reaches his potential, hopefully that is this year.

They are more talented though, both Perriman and Mims are more talented than any Jets receiver since likely Marshall.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I, and I think most posters here agree.

J-Raw24 and LAJet like this.