Jets picking 11th in 2020 NFL DRAFT

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Sid Youngelman, Dec 29, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We don’t need that much room and we don’t know when Williamson will be able to pass a physical. Hewitt is a free agent, burgess is a restricted free agent. You’re cutting Williamson for 6.5 but some of that is going into his replacement so how much are you saving? Is it enough to cover for the drop off? Are you sure one of burgess and Hewitt can maintain that level? Btw, they looked good but they still had some holes in their games ,a lot of missed tackles and some tough coverage.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Williamson is bad in coverage as well. Its not that much of a drop off. The money and pick are definitely worth it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we need as much room as we can get. I've already done the math. cutting williamson is a good move. hewitt would be cheaper and so is burgess. could probably have both of them for less then 3 mil total. with the money mosely is making going cheap on the other 3 ILBs is pretty important. we have other needs to fill on D at CB and Edge and the money saved on mosely will help fill those needs

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could be right, but I hope not. I hope that Douglas always has an eye to the future. Getting a player that could further upgrade the OL and help for several years or a draft pick where we could get a player who could possibly help us for 5-10 years should outweigh a player for just one season, especially again where too much of the cap is invested in a less important position, and who isn't even a topflight player at that position.

5. NCJetsfan

How do you know how much room we need? If we could get more cap space, why wouldn't we, especially when there probably will be OL and CBs who can help fill holes in FA? The drop off is not that big a deal imo, since it's vs the run, and will be offset by the return of Mosely and hopefully, improvement from Cashman. Even if some of the savings go to re-sign Hewitt, that still will give $3 million to use to upgrade OL depth or add another CB, or could be used during the season if the injury bug strikes again.

Williamson is not that good in coverage, and I don't think the difference between Cashman/Hewitt and Williamson is much..

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. FJF

But he’s an excellent A gap blitzer and a perfect fit for G Williams
    No offense, your math, this early means absolutely zero. You have no idea who is getting tagged, extended, etc. there’s absolutely no basis for what you think we need for cap space:
    I think you’re falling into the off-season trade good players in hopes of getting good players trap.
    I don’t know how much we need but right now we are slated to have around 65-70 without obvious cuts like winters made. We see this often enough where it’s hard to spend that much on actually good players worth the coin. We can drool over the potential free agent list now but it won’t look as good when all the tags and extensions are executed.
    My prediction, no chance Williamson is traded and I’d be mildly surprised if he is cut .

Pepsiguy5 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

How is this a trap? When you have greater strength than is necessary at a less important position, why wouldn't you seek to use that to try to strengthen other areas of weakness? I don't see that as any kind of trap at all.

I don't think it will be hard to spend that much. We have a lot of holes, and we have a number of our own FAs to re-sign. Robbie is going to test FA first, and since the Jets really like him, we could be overpaying to bring him back. Poole won't be cheap. We may re-sign Beacham. There are others like Hewitt that could easily be re-signed. We won't get any deals in FA. Whomever we sign in FA at OL, CB, Edge, we'll pay a premium for. Yes, the FA list won't look nearly as good once players are tagged and re-signed by their present teams, but I believe that there will be upgrades still available at OL, CB and Edge that we can and should try to sign.

You definitely could be right that Williamson may not be healthy until it's too late to trade him (late April or May) and that he thus won't be traded during the offseason. If so, he still could be traded during the season before the trade deadline if a contender loses their starting ILB/MLB.

8. GasedAndConfused

i don't need to know that though to figure out how many players we need to sign to fill holes and how much money we have. you can rad the write up here https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/way-too-early-off-season-plan-how-jd-can-get-it-done.93158/

9. FJF

You’re weakening a strength to strengthen a weakness. At the end of the day that’s a zero sum transaction. I’d rather keep our strength and build at our weakness. Williamson being bad in coverage also doesn’t effect much as Adams would be in coverage more with Williamson being a better blitzer than Hewitt , burgess or cashman.
    As to in season trades, it’s too depressing to think we would be sellers again at the trade deadline.

10. NCJetsfan

I disagree that it's definitely a zero sum. It could be, or if one strenthens a more important position while weakening a less important position, or if one fills a glaring hole by weakening a strong position, it's anything but a zero sum move.

Cashman is faster than Williamson and should become a better blitzer.

As far as it being depressing if we are sellers at the trade deadline, it could be a solitary move. A serious contender could lose their starter and call up Douglas and offer a 3rd or 2nd round pick for Williamson. Since we'd be losing him at the end of the season anyway, unless we foolishly planned on re-signing him, it would be a great move and would help us going forward, and wouldn't hurt that much for the remainder of the season. More than likely we're not going to the playoffs next season, but even if we do, we're almost guaranteed to be one and done even with Williamson.

11. FJF

Sending me a link to another one of your posts doesn’t make your post right. All you did was double down on the numbers I already think are suspect. Not sure why you thought that would make it seem more factual.

12. FJF

Sorry man, there’s too many ifs and coulds in here.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Burgess is below average (misses a bunch of tackles), Hewitt is OK but none are nearly as good as Williamson. Jets aren't saving much cutting Williamson in the long run. I would rather pay Williamson the money he is owed, then to shell out money for supbar linebackers. Hewitt will probably want more money playing the # of snaps he did, and he was pretty decent, but hes no Williamson.

#153 101GangGreen101, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    FJF likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

lmao I am sorry this cracked me up

FJF likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

the numbers are factual though. i figured you hadn't seen it and seeing it with your own eyes would make it clear

16. GasedAndConfused

17. GasedAndConfused

burgess is fine to be a 4th ILB though. cashman and hewitt can battle for the 2/3 spots. mosely is obviously ILB1. your whole roster isn't going to be superstars.we have needs at CB and EDGE on D plus needs at WR and o-line badly. if taking a small downgrade at ILB to save money can improve those areas i'm all for it. that's part of the balance a GM has to do

J-Raw24 likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

Cashman has to prove he can stay healthy for 16 games, he suffered an injury in the same location in college. He should go into the season as 3rd on the depth chart. Hewitt it depends on how much he's asking for. If he wants a raise, he will need to go. I prefer keeping Williamson in this scenario.

You aren't saving a lot money if you are cutting Williamson and signing Hewitt. Its a 4 million dollar difference at best. You could probably restructure his contract too. You are not getting a game changer in FA making this sort of transaction.

FJF likes this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I welcome any trade that makes the whole team better. However, trading assets particularly in the defensive side of the ball, IMO, should be fully coordinated and supported by the DC. GW had to pull the rabbit out of the hat multiple times, so Greg should have a strong say so with JD about trading anyone he deems essential to his ability to make this defense better. I think if Greg feels that a player either could or should not be traded will weigh heavily with the GM. Worst move for JD is to make trades against the wishes of arguably the best coach on this roster, especially in the face of a suspect HC who has yet to show his offensive genius or QB development skills. If we loose GW, this team could be toast next year non withstanding a good draft and free agency. Gase ability to select a good coordinator is questionable at this point.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Avery Williamson might get the Jets a conditional 5th round pick at this point. He was injured and he has a high cap number for his talent level at $6.5M for an acquiring team. His cap number is higher for the Jets at $8.5M and that is also going to be a factor in how other teams perceive his value. I'm actually thinking if the Jets want to ditch his salary for next year the best way to do it is to put him out there really cheaply for a 6th or 7th and see if anybody bites. He's 28 in March and he's not a star and it's just hard to see how he has any real trade value in that situation, even without the injury factor.

NYJetsO12 likes this.