Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

That's true, it just threw me off guard considering just hours ago, these trade rumors came about.

Is it likely that because he was placed on the PUP list, that the trade rumors can and will die out?

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Truthfully I could see us trading Cotch for a 3rd (or more likely a 4th) and then just going out and signing Braylon.

Though im thinking that we got another solid WR on our team either via the draft or UDFA

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

the PUP list isnt even a big deal. Ill disregard that from my theory for ya. Point is, Cotch aint gonna be a big part of a superbowl run this year or a complete Jet failure this year. He is small, slow, gives you no YAC, hes coming off surgery and hes been a round for a while taking a beating. Thats life in the NFL. Lets move on

4. ........

........ Trolls

1) You're talking to the wrong person about removing weapons from Sanchez. My top 2 priorities for the offseason were Edwards and Holmes. I wanted to see continuity throughout the next several years, not simply this season. Through the Nnamdi sweepstakes, I preferred to retain Edwards. Through the Cro signing, I preferred to retain Edwards. This team NEEDS to be built around Sanchez.

Having said that, Cotchery just isn't part of that plan. He's stood out for a long time as a 2012 cap casualty. His role declined, and the team obviously didn't see a big place for him this season. Kerley was drafted to be our #3, and this accelerates his development. That's it. You're removing one year of continuity by trading Cotchery this year and giving yourself options for building your WR corps next year.

2) Scotty McKnight wasn't just a favor to Sanchez. He's a damn surehanded receiver. Athletically he will likely never develop into a prototype receiver in the league, but he catches EVERYTHING that comes his way and he's practiced on his own with Sanchez for more than a decade now.

They ARE worrying about this year. In order to sign players to the long term contracts that were doled out this year, they have to be mindful of whether they'll fit in in future years. You can't just say "Oh, I'll cut a bunch of players next year" when you don't have any players to cut without huge amounts of dead money.

Getting rid of Cotchery doesn't make us more of a legit Super Bowl contender. Getting rid of him doesn't make us much less of a legit Super Bowl contender. Not when the team signs Plax to start. Not when he's hurt. Not when the team has faith in young receivers to step up. It's not my opinion. I love Cotchery and what he's done for this team. I'm also not the one making the personnel decisions or the coaching ones. I'm just trying to explain the reasoning that makes sense.

5. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

With Cotchery on the PUP list, and with the Jets having shown no indication that they want Braylon back in the slightest, I have a tough time seeing your prediction coming true.

6. RedstickJetfan

RedstickJetfan New Member

I would think putting him on the PUP list cannot help his trade value. We should hang on to him.

7. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

I can't see them getting a 3rd or 4th for J-Co unless Matt Millen has become a GM again...

8. ........

........ Trolls

I also have to ask how trading Richard Seymour made the Pats any more competitive last season. Seems to me they improved on their record anyway.

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

They dont want him back in the slightest... at this time. But neither does anyone else. If they could trade Cotch for a 4th and then sign Braylon for like 4 years 20 million (or less) that would be an absolutely fucking brilliant move imo.

Hell if trading Cotch meant we would resign Braylon cheap, id give him up for a 5th and be happy.

10. 624

624 Banned

Quoting just so people read this again.

I'll say it again, the 2011 Jets will be worse at Madden than the 2010 Jets, but better at football.

People got so caught up in dreams of Aso that they see the Jets as a .500 team now instead of a legit contender.

11. ........

........ Trolls

You should probably tell Arizona that no one wants Braylon. They're interested, and JF and KR have been selling him on the idea. Sounds like he could sign there soon.

And a 5th is about what we'd get for Cotchery.

12. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

They explored him on a 1 year (or "short term") deal though.

You know sure as shit he doesn't want to go out there in the middle of nowhere and play for some garbage team that doesnt have a prayer in the world.

If the Jets offered him a cheap 4 year contract (4 yrs 20 mill~) hed come running and be the happiest guy in the world with it.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

dreams of Aso, dream s Osi; fans are so insecure and riddled with fear that they can't be confident unless they sign the biggest names or trade for unhappy pro bowlers.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

NFLN was just reporting the market has been non existent for Edwards.
    He brings risk, baggage, and is looking for more commitment and money than he's worth.
    He'll get signed once he lowers his ask.

In terms of Cotch, i agree 4th or 5th is max teams will give a guy coming off injury. I think the Jets will have a hard time moving him, but i understand why they are exploring it.
    In terms of absolutley cutting him next year, i still maintain it depends on his production this year.
    A next year cut of 2mil is not a giant savings.

Would there be the option of negotiating his contract down next year? Not sure how dead money factors into a re-neg.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

But Woody said that the Jets aren't done signing FAs!

16. ........

........ Trolls

No. He has a base salary of about $2.3 mil next season. They won't extend him, drop his base, and then give him a signing bonus to eat up half the difference.

17. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

I really hope Braylon lowers his asking price and we can land him some how.

18. ........

........ Trolls

That would have been great...before giving guaranteed money to Plax. 4 years 20 million would have had a similar cap hit this year. What does it tell you that the Jets never offered it? Tells me that I must have overestimated his value.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

There's clearly something off about this whole Braylon Edwards thing. I guess he didn't do himself any favors by talking about this discount thing and then (apparently) asking for 10 million a year.

20. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Does anyone think that there is a shot getting edwards cheap or he will go to cards?

If we had holmes, edwards and burress I think it would be great!!

Yes it would be sad to let cotch go but that would be a amazing wr group and we have a great cb group too!