Jets OL coach claims Vlad/Slauson rotation came from organization

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MurrellMartin, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Another hole in the bottom of the ship.

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

NYJetscap discussed this. Ducasse can't play more than (I think) 30% of the snaps or his contract increases. However Moore and Slasuon both have expiring contracts so they want to see what they have in him for next year...

3. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

bingo......

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Its a cap move, as noted above. Another great reason to axe Tannenbaum. And this is really more evidence that Rex has lost his team if his assistants are bad mouthing the higher ups like this.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I read the entire artice and learned only that you will make shit up if it suits your agenda. He only said high above him, Which is the Tony, Rex, Tanny and then Woody. Nowhere does he say Woody wants it.

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

This is a Tanny move all the way!

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/capconcerns.html

"Ducasse has a bonus in his contract that increases his 2013 salary cap figure by $410,000 if he plays in 45% of the snaps this season. If Ducasse fails to earn this year that bonus vanishes, with $410,000 of his 2013 salary remaining guaranteed as protection for the player. The Jets save $410,000 in both cash and cap with this rotational system. Yes it’s a small amount but when you look at some of the moves the Jets have made this past year to free up smalls sums of money (Slauson, Mike DeVito), clearly it is in their playbook. In addition the Jets starting RG Brandon Moore is a free agent. So is Matt Slauson. As an older veteran that seems to be declining it would be unlikely to see Moore remain with a team that looks ready to rebuild. Slauson’s value is driven down on the open market by the fact that he is not an entrenched starter. It gives the Jets an opportunity to bring him back at a low cost with minimal guarantees and probably plug him at the RG position. Slauson isn’t great but he is a capable player for a one or two year period."

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Rex and tanny know they are on the hot seat. A coach comes out and says his offensive line is being meddled with way up there, presumably above Rex. In the media, Rex wins again. He already had Mehta and someone from te daily news write articles blaming the talent. He has a coach talkin about someone higher than Rex meddling. If it comes down to one or the other, tanny is looking like the odd man out

8. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Forgetting about just how bad Ducasse is and the fact I never want to see him on the field, what kinda nerve does the OL coach have to be complaining about decisions made 'high up'? Of course the phrase and tone make it sound like it's coming from Woody or Tanny, which almost certainly isn't the case.

Rex is 'high up' compared to this guy, and there's no way Rex, or even Sparano shouldn't have the authority to make personnel changes as they see fit. I don't see where the OL coach should in any way be the final voice on that.

And people wonder why Parcells never let assistants speak to the media lol.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

geezus the crap thats buried in these player contracts is mind boggling. u need 3 gm's to cover all this stuff.

it will be interesting to see what the final percentage of snaps ends up being.

#29 jilozzo, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So there are now two conflicting ideas in this thread.

1) "Guge" apparently does not want to play Vlad and thinks he's "maybe" an every third series guy but his "higher ups" are forcing him to rotate Vlad in.
    2) For cap reasons Vlad can only play a certain number of snaps, which is why he's being rotated instead of starting.

They are pretty much polar opposites. Or maybe the "maybe" from Guge is being interpreted the wrong way.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The 'higher ups' know the men they have now, including Duc, are the men they'll be going to war with next season minus Moore.

Do you really want a starter on the line next season (Duc) to have zero play time this season?

Jets can't afford to nab a stud FA lineman anytime soon, and they aren't gonna drop a high draft pic on a 'starting caliber' guard.

Duc will be full time on the line next season, and he'll be a bit better having play time this season. Who'd you rather he fill in for this season to get some reps? Mangold? Brick?

Edit: "Guge" is coaching for his job NOW, THIS SEASON. It's hard for anyone in this position to look 12-24 months down the road. Assume Tanny has told Rex/Sparano "Look, get Vlad some play time the best way you see fit because looking at FA's and the upcoming draft, Vlad will most likely be on the line full time".

Assistant coaches coach in the 'here and now'. GM's bring the 2-4 yr vision to the team that may not mesh completely with the 'here and now'. Maybe, just maybe, Tanny and Rex are doing their jobs.

#31 Footballgod214, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  12. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

In the long run I think it benefits the Jets to force Vlad onto the field for a couple drives (as long as he isn't bad enough to blow the drives).

Next Season OL:
    RG - Moore will likely retire
    LG - Slauson - average but cheap
    RT - Howard - average or below average.

Unlike Slauson, Howard doesn't sit between two very good players. This organization needs to know whether they can survive with Slauson & Vlad at both guard positions. If not, then Tanny will put upgrading right side of the line @ a much higher priority than before (that's what I"m hoping anyway).

13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i was beginning to wonder if i was the only one who can remember the article a few weeks ago about ducasse playing because of bonus situations. and how it will take slausons legs out from under him going into free agency that he is not really a full time starter.

oh wait thats right they also talked about tebow not being allowed to meet his playing time incentives too and nobody paid any attention to anything other than the tebow portion.

this basically confirms what the earlier article said about them not wanting ducasse to get his percentage of plays and making slauson less valuable. and its a fucking shame that the team is currently being run this way.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The Fan base is Bi Polar.

15. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

this, it seems like 'guge' or whatever the fuck everyone is calling him is just making excuses for not being able to get the guards playing well. anyone that watches the tape can see a lot of improvement in vlads game. he is becoming a good run blocker and his pass blocking is only getting better, albeit slowly. the running games problem this year has been the line, but it has been because of confusion and missed assignments, not poor technique. were probably going to have a new line coach next year.

they are probably going to keep sparano too because of the rotating door at skill positions weve had this season. pass protection has only gotten better because austin howard is much better than wayne hunter. but wayne hunter was so bad that being much better isn't that good. its funny, last year the line was bad because of the players, this year, it seems to be almost the complete opposite. guys are missing help assignments and the running backs at times look like they have no idea where the blitz is going to come from as far as the line is concerned. its not pretty out, and despite this sparano has managed to call some pretty good games, so hes probably going to get at least one more season. lai as well. but i think 'guge' might be gone.

16. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Tanny can't be seen as a guy that wasted a second round pick on a project OL and a project WR when so many other guys in the same position were drafted after them and are contributing each week.

17. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

Just when you think it can't get any worse, it gets a lot worse!!

This team has become such a fucking shit show. The embarrassment that this organization has become goes WAY beyond football. The immediate impact of this teams disfunction is already evident, but the lasting ramifications of the horrible PR and terrible play will be huge too. What coach(s) and players would EVER want to come in here and be a part of this cluster-fuck!?!!

Have you EVER, in the history of the NFL, seen a team and coaching staff that throws one another under the bus at the rate that this team does? It's amazing there aren't full out brawls in the locker room between these guys. Not to mention, that it's not like they say it to each other, but they use the media as a tool to shit on one another!

And lastly, the thing that's most fucking comical about this is that all the people that do the shit talking FUCKING SUCK themselves!!! Based on our Olines performance, Coach Gug's blows yet he talks shit, Slauson has been horrible this year and appears to be a backup at best, yet he takes liberties and rips Tebow, Bart Scott has sucked for two full years, yet he rips anything and anyone with a heartbeat, Santonio quits on his team (last year) after having the worst year of his career, yet he basically calls out the whole team for being a bunch of scrubs & McElroy doesn't even dress for one game in his rookie season, yet he goes on a radio show in his home town and rips the whole organization!?!?!? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!

But don't worry, Rex says this is the closest group of guys he's ever coached. ;-)

WHAT A FUCKING JOKE!!!!!

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Except McElroy.

19. Big Blocker

Nice concise post on the money. Right on both counts, I would agree. So now cap considerations are spilling over into who gets played, and not to anyone's benefit. Also significant is this is more evidence of a lack of control by Ryan.

Ftr about VD, I know he has played better this year than last. But that's not saying much. For a second round pick he's still way behind the curve on development. Meanwhile I am no big fan of Slauson's, but he took a pay cut already this year, and is hardly overpaid for his production. I am frankly more concerned about Moore, who's decline is evident, and who will likely be out of the league by the 14 season.

20. Big Blocker

I agree with this post as a general matter, but the fact that Guge talked like he did is in fact more evidence of a lack of control in the Jet organization, and that as a general rule falls on the HC.

Ftr I like Ryan the most of Woody, Tanny, Sparano and himself. But Ryan is facing a perfect storm here, the likes of which he's never had to face before, let alone know how to deal with. I may still like Ryan, but do I have confidence he will be able to work his way through all this?

Sadly, no.