Jets not satisfied with Adrian Jones (my opinion)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1028, Mar 10, 2006.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Legree was waived.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Sub in Pouha and Reed same difference.

3. You are dead on. Great post and I appreciate the kind words.

4. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

ferguson has a much, much higher probability of actually reaching his potential than jones does

5. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

Based on what?

6. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

As I recall, Jones was a RT last year and only went to LT when fabini was hurt.

Why not put that budding potential back at RT and draft Ferguson and his potential for LT?

Sort of the old Marvin Powell-Chris Ward days.

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Jones is a natural LT. He was only the RT last year out of neccesity.

8. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

Jones went to LT when Fabini was horrible. but Fabini had been horrible for 3 years before he got cut

9. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

He was a tight end in college.

He's not a natural ANYTHING

if he has so much potential develop that potential at RT

10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

He was a left tackle his last season in college (and strictly a blindside blocking TE his junior year), and played very well. He has the exact skill set for a prototypical pass-protecting LT. There's no reason to try and develop him at RT when he already has the ability to be a very good LT.

11. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

So, what you are saying is that Jones can't reach his potential? But Ferguson can? What if Jones' potential is higher than Ferguson? I'm just picking on you here, because what you wrote and what you meant are unrelated.... but that's going around a lot today.

12. winstonbiggs

What if Ferguson has a higher potential but doesn't reach it and Jones reaches his potential which while lower than D'Bricks potential is still better than D'Brick really becomes?

13. 1028

1028 Active Member

The point was really not so much to debate whether he has the ability to play LT for us...like I said before, I think he does. I was just trying to interpret recent moves by the FO, and interest in certain players, and the conclusion that I came up with is that the FO dosent look like theyre too confident in Adrian Jones. JMO. I think hes a good enough fit, but I dont think Mangini and friends agree

14. winstonbiggs

That may be true but so far I think they have played a pretty good hand of poker. I don't see that they have tipped anything off yet.

15. 1028

1028 Active Member

Too bad...I think he wouldve been a nice backup at 3-4 end

16. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

How's this....everyone involved in scouting, the NFL, the NCAA, etc would all agree that Ferguson has a higher ceiling than Jones, and on top of it has a much higher probability reaching his potential than Jones does.

There is a difference between picking apart things for fun, and analyzing work when your job and living depend on it.

17. Alot of OT's started as Tight ends in college. The one's w/ good athleticsm that dont have great hands routinely get moved to Lt where they often excell.

Guys who started off as TE's:

Robert Gallery
    Erik Winston
    Jonathan Scott
    Adrian Jones

18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

If Jones and Ferguson are the same player with the same ceiling, why is one (Ferguson) being labeled a top five prospect and a "once in a decade offensive line talent" and the other (Jones) was a 4th round draft choice and rated the same a dozens of other OL?

I'm not saying that the draft pundits are correct, nor am I saying that Fergunson is guaranteed to be a better pro, but the odds on Ferguson being an elite LT are much better than that of Jones. To compare the two is just not accurate.

As for QB, I hold a different opinion. I actually have confidence that Pennington will come back. I am not opposed to bringing in a veteran - be it Ramsey or Kitna or Collins. However, with Pennington signed to an affordable contract, I don't see QB as a need and I certainly don't see the need to sign Pennington, a veteran, and then draft one of the big three. With so many holes to fill, it is silly to invest so much in the QB position.

As for Mario Williams, if Abe is traded, I would have no problem drafting him at #4 over Ferguson. Somebody has to rush the passer and with no Abe there is no pass rush.

19. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Jones lacked experience, he was considered more of a project. Most draft experts would tell you that if Jones actually had the experience, he was a top tackle prospect. Again, Ferguson would still be the better prospect with the higher ceiling, but not that much higher than Jones'.

20. winstonbiggs

We have a good young LT with a ton of upside to be a high quality starter in the NFL for the next 10 years. The Draft is loaded with players rated every bit as high as D'Brick at positions we have back up or outright bad NFL players currently. Adding D'Brick will not only not fill need it will cost us a fortune to maybe get an upgrade if he pans out like the experts say he will. You still want to use the #4 pick on this guy?