Jets not satisfied with Adrian Jones (my opinion)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1028, Mar 10, 2006.

1. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Good post. I would love for us to pick up Ashworth hes a tough ass S.O.B. linemen who knows what it takes to win. But i dont think hell be a backup anytime with the Jets.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I don't get this post at all. Jones while not great wasn't bad and Jones has plenty of upside. D'brick is not going to be the BAP on the board when we pick and since we have several positions of need why fill a position with a player who is arguably being picked to high who really doesn't fit a critcal team need?

3. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

Good post...

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I guess the Jets should just fill the roster with a bunch a players who are not bad, especially at key positions such as LT, DE, and QB. While the Jets will be safely under the salary cap, they will field a team that is perennially not bad. Is that what we fans are striving for? Jones is an ideal back up tackle. I for one would like an elite LT anchoring a top notch OL and want a team that is better than not bad. That starts at key positions such as LT. I am done settling for mediocrity. Isn't that why Edwards was sent packing?

5. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

he is cheap but sucks at run blocking due to size and strength limitations. LOOK at the film!

6. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

O and D lines are where it all starts and that is where we have to get better.

7. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Jones is fine at LT and did a fine job last year and will get better next year. hes still very young.

8. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

How do you KNOW that Fergusen won't be the Best Available Player on the board when we pick?
    That may be your opinion..fair enough.

But you (and me and everyone else) do not KNOW anything on their draftboard as a FACT.

#28 CT. Jets Fan, Mar 12, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  9. winstonbiggs

You are intentionally twisting what I said. You admit the Jets have several holes and you lump in QB and DE as just as important as LT why in hell would reach for D'Brick when we are going to be able to get a better rated player at either QB or DE than D'brick is a LT? While I agree it would be great to upgrade at LT over Jones, it is still dumb as can be to upgrade a position that is less of a need than other key positions with a lower rated player.

10. winstonbiggs

That's right I don't which is why my opinion on D'Brick is as good as anyone else?s. I think there is a consensus that the Jets have several needs. Jones is a decent player, we have crappy players at key positions right now. Why take D'Brick at all unless he is the consensus best player at 4 and it isn't debatable.

11. Do you honestly believe D Brick will be elite from the second he walks on the field? B/c I'll tell you this: Right now Brick and Jones are very similar players, and that will be the case whether either of them are playing LT for the jets or not.

They also both have upside. You have repeatedly expressed dislike for people gushing over "potential". But that's exactly the reason Brick is considered a top 5 pick..UPSIDE. He is not a great run blocker, and struggles w/ inside bull rushes. Sounds alot like Jones doesnt it?

People are banking on Brick getting bigger and stroner, and improving his technique in order to solidify those areas of weakness, in order to compliment his rare athleticism. But that's exactly what people feel Jones is capable of doing in order to take his game to the next level. So why is it, it's ok for Brick to have "room to grow" and be chosen based on "potential" but it's not ok for Jones? They have basically the same strengths and weaknesses.

12. winstonbiggs

Great post and add to that D'Bricks potential which really isn't much higher than Jones will cost much more.

13. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

That's my point. If he is the BAP on their board at #4 they should draft him.
    And who is to be the basis of the "consensus" you are seeking??
    John Clayton?
    Mel Kiper?
    Howie Long?
    All the posters on the GangGreen board?

I have not been on this board long but long enough to knnow that people on here don't agree on the day of the week, forget about who to pick.

14. winstonbiggs

That's not my argument. This draft is extremely deep, there are several players who are going to grade very close. I think D'Brick doesn't bring much more to the table than we currently have with Jones. Even if you rate him slightly higher than Mario Williams, Vernon Davies, Jay Cutler, Reggie Bush, AJ Hawk, Haloti Ngota, I would prefer to see a great player in a position of need taken. Personally, I can't see how you can rate him above those players at best equal to.

Based on what I saw at the Senior Bowl, D'Brick will not help us in the running game at all and he is going to be abused inside for at least a year. He is also going to cost us a boat load of money at a position that we have a similiar player with huge upside at a cheap price.

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I want the run blocking to improve. That means a RT. WE DON"T HAVE ONE. We do have a LT who will continue to improve. We also don't have a center. Or a QB. So, if we take a QB at 4, that's a bad pick because people want ONE particular player?

Jet fans are a funny lot.

16. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

You see this phenomenon over and over. A fan will fixate on one single player. They'll want the guy whether he meets the team's needs or not.

17. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

I guess you have a higher opinion of Adrian Jones than I do.

But whoever is taken at #4 is being drafted with the hope of upside potential and also will cost alot of $$$$$$$$$.

18. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

BTW, according to Shaffer's agent, the Jets never did express any interest in him, so wipe that reason for suspecting the Jets don't like Jones off the list. I think Hopkins is being looked at for depth, behind Jones, since we don't have a backup LT. Besides, Hopkins isn't all that good.... poor run blocker, but can still move enough to pass protect some.

19. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Kurt, most people who are dying for the Jets to pick Ferguson have either just read scouting reports, or have no idea how to judge OL talent. It is painfully obvious that Jones has the potential to develop into a very good LT, and that we should allow him to continue to gain experience at that position. Ferguson is very similar to Jones, both have the same skill set for the most part, and Ferguson's ceiling is not that much higher than Jones'. There's no reason to replace Jones with Ferguson when we have so many more needs. And as the best offensive line evaluator on the board, you already know all of this, and even more.

20. winstonbiggs

It's not that I have a high opinion of Jones because I'm not impressed by him. After watching the Senior Bowl, D'Brick showed me he is going to have the same learning curve.

I look at our OL and agree it stinks. But the only two players that I think are worth building around are Jones and Kendall. We are desperate for a big RT who can push in the running game, we are desperate for a big center who can controll the middle and another big guard, I thought Moore was awful last year much worse than Jones and as bad a pass catcher as Becht was he could make the seal block and right now I'm not sure we have a TE on the roster who can.

We don't have a QB right now, We don't have a capable NT right now, we are going to trade Abe and we will be short a DE. Do you really think Thomas is a better DE than Jones is a LT? We are short at OLB. We are probably good to go at safety but even at CB you have to be concerned.

I just look at this draft and if Abe is gone I would rather have Jones at LT and Mario Williams at DE than Thomas and D'Brick. If Ngota is available and we don't sign a NT I would rather have him in the middle with Jones at LT than Lance Legree at the nose and D'Brick at LT. If we can get Vernon Davis at TE I would rather have him and Jones than D'Brick and Jolley. If we can get AJ Hawk I would rather have Hawk and Jones than Hobson and D'Brick.

It's not that I don't want a great LT, we have other holes to fill.