Jets Not Interested In Gruden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by semperfigreen, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree with you more. Stick with Ryan.

2. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Woody called Holmgren, that's a fact. Holmgren is taking a year off and will return in 2010 or 2011, also a fact.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

this entire post was made readable my machjet's avitar

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

for everyone calling for gruden think about this.rex is the guy and they probably told him as muck.to go out and interview gruden now would be an insult to rex.why would they risk pissing off rex and taking a chance on him declining the offer just to interview a guy who may or may not be a good fit.it's not worth it.they found their guy now we just wait for bal. to lose

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i live in tampa, gruden sucks. he inherited a franchise dungy built and brought more aggressive offensive playcalling. hes also an absolute perfectionist in a bad way as in hes never satisfied with any player and tends to never even let his own decisions try to pan out. and the whole "chuckie" thing is more than annoying. if i were a professional football player i wouldnt want someone screaming at me like im a fucking ball boy ALL GAME.

even Adam Schefter reported this before his firing its not surprising which is why Schefter calls it:

"One of the worst-kept secrets in the league was the way Buccaneers players felt about Gruden. There wasn’t a real affinity there.

This has nothing to do with Gruden’s abilities; he’s a first-rate coach. But his players didn’t voice their approval for him. Just look at what the Buccaneers’ owners did."

point in case, im happy to hear were not interested.

#45 Coach K, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  6. XGBer-Moving_On

XGBer-Moving_On New Member

Gruden has never developed a young QB

He prefers the vets. Yes- He had Dungy's defense and DC but the offense was made over with vets like OTs Randal McDaniel and Steussie, Jurevichus and Pittman. He was a much better offensive mind than Dungy. Do not misunderstand, I am not lobbying for Favre's return. He is done, or at most, if he comes back he can only game manage- he cannot take the team on his shoulders. That much has been proven. But the Gruden-Favre match is at least interesting.

But if a vet comes around- he can get the most out them. He got a lot out of Gannon, Brad Johnson and Garcia. The Bucs mortgaged the future to get Gruden and lost 2 firsts and 2 seconds. Might be the reason they could not bring in a young QB other O talent. They tried with C Williams and M Clayton but the draft is a crap shoot.

To the the credit of Gruden-Allen team in Tampa, they have done it right to this point by drafting the Oline that could be a factor for years to come, so I question the firing as premature as they could have now concentrated on the O skill positions- and were looking hard at Knowshon Moreno. He does have a good eye for veteran talent- but a disposition to eventually piss them off. They definitely have failed in shoring up an aging defense- not his fault as management made it clear he could not touch the defense. That was on Kiffin

Gruden to the Jets- Interesting especially with the Callahan link. But it still leaves the open sore which is the defense untreated

#46 XGBer-Moving_On, Jan 17, 2009
  7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Doesn't Favre like Gruden? I think he should be at least considered and brought in for an interview.

He does have a SB and was one of the only coaches ever to be worth a 1st round draft pick.

8. XGBer-Moving_On

XGBer-Moving_On New Member

Gruden has never developed a young QB

He prefers the vets. Yes- He had Dungy's defense and DC but the offense was made over with vets like OTs Randal McDaniel and Steussie, Jurevichus and Pittman. He was a much better offensive mind than Dungy. Do not misunderstand, I am not lobbying for Favre's return. He is done, or at most, if he comes back he can only game manage- he cannot take the team on his shoulders. That much has been proven. But the Gruden-Favre match is at least interesting.

But if a vet comes around- he can get the most out them. He got a lot out of Gannon, Brad Johnson and Garcia. The Bucs mortgaged the future to get Gruden and lost 2 firsts and 2 seconds. Might be the reason they could not bring in a young QB other O talent. They tried with C Williams and M Clayton but the draft is a crap shoot. He did pick up UFA TJ in 03 and sang his praises but it did not work out

To the the credit of Gruden-Allen team in Tampa, they have done it right to this point by drafting the Oline that could be a factor for years to come, so I question the firing as premature as they could have now concentrated on the O skill positions- and were looking hard at Knowshon Moreno. He does have a good eye for veteran talent- but a disposition to eventually piss them off. They definitely have failed in shoring up an aging defense- but that was all on Kiffin as Gruden did not interfere with the defense.

Gruden to the Jets- Interesting especially with the Callahan link. But it still leaves the open sore which is the defense untreated.

#48 XGBer-Moving_On, Jan 17, 2009
  9. Yankees4Life

Yankees4Life New Member

I would take Gruden or Ryan in a heartbeat. They both have the passion and the fire, something that mangini lacked.

10. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I think the Jets are too far along in the interview process to pull back now. If they delay it in any further, they take the risk of losing Ryan or Spags all together.

Also I think Gruden is going to take a year off and wait for a good job to come open. I'm sure he's wishing that he had listened to Tennessee when they came a calling.

11. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I laughed.

12. Phyr

Phyr Member

Gruden's Super Bowl is just another reason why Dungy is a Hall of Famer.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If Gruden stays in Oakland, he is still in that Super Bowl though, and probably would have won it.

14. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Gruden is an overly abrasive, rah-rah munchkin who is not good at developing talent, has a long history of alienating his players and has a long record of being slow to make adjustments whether it be in game or related to personnel. He presided over a collapse significantly more painful and chokiferous than ours this year and yet there is a startling number of Jets fans who want this guy. No doubt these are the same fans who wanted Mangini run out of town for the same f*cking failures as Gruden has authored (except that Gruden has been doing it for longer) and are probably the same shortsighted fans who would call for his head right before committing suicide with a hammer when the megalomaniacal, inflexible, Mangini-like Gruden repeats a similar implosion for us.

Gruden by personality and temperament is probably best suited to be a college coach.

15. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

+∞........

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I have to disagree with many posters here.

Gruden developed a SB caliber team in Oakland, proven by the fact they were playing him in said SB in his first year in Tampa. Dungy could never get that team over the hump, and only won a SB when Manning decided to stop choking in the playoffs. Oakland on the other hand... Have a look at their overall record since Gruden left.

They have had terrible luck drafting in Tampa since Gruden arrived. Sure, some of that is on him, but alot has to due with the draft picks they gave up to get him, guys like Williams and Simms getting what basically amount to career ending injuries, and the fact that the Tampa ownership sucks nuts...

I would welcome Gruden with open arms. I would take him over Ryan in a heartbeat.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah people forget that. Look a couple posts before yours and I said that. Yeah, he took Dungy's team to the Super Bowl, but Callahan took his.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is what I'm thinking. They've already told Rex he's hired but they cannot officially do that until Baltimores season is over. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the Jets decline the Lions interview request for the same reason. They may have already decided with Rex that he'd be the OC.

19. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

If the Jets were to hire Jon Gruden I would stop watching ? that?s how bad Gruden sucks monkey balls. He is just horrible ? go to any Bucs board if there is one and check posts starting about 4 years back about how much they hate him.

I was out last night and you should have seen the Bucs fans partying over this firing.

20. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Amen. :beer: