Jets negotiating multi-year deal with OT Morgan Moses(Signs 1 year deal with Jets)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jun 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Fant and Becton missed a combined 5 games last year.

I’m not saying Fant a sure thing, but even if he were, I’d hope JD would be looking for more OL depth and Moses would be on the radar.

JD has an extra $5mm to play with this year thanks to the Crowder pay cut earlier this week. Maybe it’s a coincidence, maybe it’s not.

2. KingRoach

As stated multiple times on multiple times on multiple threads, Fant and Becton missed a combined 5 games last years. Maybe the potential signing of Moses says more about Edgoba than it does about Fant.

Fant may peak at swing tackle or backup but I’m not ready to make that judgement after 1 season at the position. JD gave him a 2 year commitment for a reason.

There are a lot of maybes. We’ll find out the signing and position maybes over the next few months. We’ll find out the performance maybes a few months after that.

Thank you JD for another exciting offseason.

3. KingRoach

I mention the trade option Bc many are acting like Moses is our savior. I’m happy JD didn’t make the trade I’m simply stating that if he was seen as a must have by the FO and CS, we could have locked him in for a late round pick.

As bad as Mac drafted, I’d have been ok with him trading our 2nd.

4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

You know all eyes are of course on Zach this year but almost deceptively aside from him probably the most important piece to this whole operation is Becton.

The difference between Becton being able to stay healthy and effective, and if god forbid he's not and sitting in the training room while some random guy named McDermit is leaving straight open paths to Zach Wilson's kidney's is hard to correctly quantify and put into words. I guess President Trump would say its EWWUGE.

If the Jets were able to have Fant available as a backup swing guy at least there would be a little bit of a second line of defense. But if Becton is able to play at a Hall of Fame level everything is just going to be so much better. Stay healthy big guy!

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They released him this year, not last year. As I said, I specifically remember their saying that he was going nowhere last year. He was still in their plans. I don't know why, but something evidently changed their minds this year. I would be surprised if JD hadn't called last Washington last year to inquire about Moses' availability. For all we know he did and was rebuffed, and that's why Washington came out and said that they had no intention of trading Moses.

I understand and respect your perspective.

6. NCJetsfan

I definitely think it has a lot to do with Edoga and McDermott. Neither are very good.

If the Jets sign Moses and play him at RT and use Fant as the swing OT, not only should our starting unit be better, but our depth as well.

You're right of course, that there are no guarantees with Moses. He could perhaps struggle in our scheme, but if that happens, I'm sure that they'll put Fant back as the starter and use Moses as the swing OT, or make another move to shore up the RT position. As a bonus, by having Fant as the swing OT, they can cut both Edoga and McDermott and free up another roster spot with which the Jets can retain another young player with talent and promise rather than risk losing him by waving him and trying to put him on the PS.

All we can do is hope for the best. We'll see what happens. It may all be moot since Moses hasn't signed yet.

#86 NCJetsfan, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    KingRoach likes this.
  7. KingRoach

I’m speaking of this year. Washington knew this year they didn’t want him on their team. They couldn’t find a trade partner. They allowed Moses to look for a trade partner; he couldn’t find one either so they released him.

8. NCJetsfan

OK, but as another poster stated, why burn draft capital and have to pay him what Washington was paying him, when you can sign him as a FA and possibly pay him less?

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Don’t beat yourself up. I’m sure you weren’t the only one who missed it.

K'OB likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that part is not entirely true. They may have wanted him on their team, just not at $7million or whatever he was making.

the Jets came very close to cutting Jamison Crowder last week. Crowder agreed to a pay cut so they kept him. If Crowder didn't agree, they would've cut him. It clearly would've been inaccurate to say they didn't want him on the team if they had

11. KingRoach

I’m not suggesting or wishing we do that. I’m simply stating if we wanted/needed him bad enough, that woulda been an option.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Im thankful Crowder is still here and I’m curious about his new contract. Depth was horrendous at the position last year and we trotted out some of the worst WR groups I think I’ve ever seen.

Moses would make a nice addition and likely inject some needed energy into the running game. Since we’re likely to run lot this season he really could be a big upgrade. If JD is actually working on a multi-year deal he/someone must really like what they’ve seen.

BrowningNagle and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. KingRoach

I’m glad to see we agree on something.

K'OB likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Not something done often on here as people get all uppity about having their words changed, I fucking love it, happens all the time on the soccer forums lol

Noam and KingRoach like this.
  15. KingRoach

I hate to sound like DWC (I mean petulant child, damn auto correct) but “he started it!!”

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yes, I liked both posts lol

KingRoach likes this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well he's already heading into his 6th year with 38 career NFL starts and already almost 30 years old (turning 29 in July).

I don't believe as a now 6th year NFL veteran that's it's still fair to use the inexperience card as a reason on why he's on the verge of being sent to the bench in replace of Moses; he's just never beens really any good to begin with.

#97 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Some linemen can play well into their mid-30's. Those guys are extremely rare.

The Jets have had 2 guys over the age of 32 start a full season for them on the OL in the past two decades. Kevin Mawae started 16 games at 33 in 2004. Alana Faneca started 16 games at 33 in 2009.

They were both done for the Jets the following season.

The point of this is that the odds are that Morgan is one and done, maybe two at the outside.

When I predicted that Mangold and D'Brick were just about done in 2015 everybody laughed. Then D'Brick retired after the season and Mangold retired after getting hammered in 2016. They both made it to 32. Mangold's last full season was 2015 at 31.

This is the NFL. It is the unusual player that lasts much past 30 and we have a disturbing habit of picking up guys and watching them decline on our watch.

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

They must not feel Fant is good enough too. That can be the answer. I like Fant, but if there’s an upgrade out there, you pull the trigger. Fant has 60 career games, 38 as a starter, there’s not gonna be a sudden change of what he is now. He is who he is. JD in fact gave him decent money on the basis he may improve to be better and now year 2, they maybe bringing in his replacement. We will see, but he maybe going back to the same role he had in Seattle with his same potential.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sure Morgan might not pan out, but what would you do instead? Who else is better and available? Are you saying the Jets - sitting with cap room - should do nothing? If not, what should they do? As far as I'm concerned, Morgan is a good upgrade and insurance - they can't have too much protection for Wilson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.