Jets negotiating multi-year deal with OT Morgan Moses(Signs 1 year deal with Jets)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jun 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Even so, they wouldn't have released him for Rothlisberger's last season. They would have asked him to take a pay cut, or released someone else.

Noam likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

I definitely agree. I wasn't talking about just this year with my comment. I was speaking in terms of after 2-3 seasons even if they never added another player. I think JD has done an amazing job, and there is a lot of good talent on this team and with good coaching this team should be at least a .500 team next year, even if they didn't add any more talent. With additional talent added via FA and the draft, I think this team should be a playoff team next season. I believe in Saleh and LaFleur, and I think we have a good chance to win 8-9 games this season. If we don't, I'll be disappointed, but not even remotely ready to fire them unless the team just looks unprepared, plays sloppily, and looks generally incompetent. That's not going to happen, imo.

There should definitely be progress this year and even with new systems, a rookie QB, etc., they should win more than just two games. If not, it's cause for concern, but not for firing them immediately. After all, there are the reasons you cited, plus injuries, bad bounces of the football, young players learning how to win, etc. that could plague the team this season and have them not win as many games as perhaps they should. Now if in 3 years from now, if the team is still struggling only winning 5 games or less, then I think there needs to be some serious discussion as to whether they should continue in their jobs, but I don't expect that to happen.

BudJet and Noam like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The 2019 Dolphins are a good role model for the 2021 Jets. The Phins did a complete rebuild and started 0-7 and finished strong at 5-11 propelling them to a 10-6 record in 2020.

Like the 2019 Phins I expect us to be very bad the 1st half of the season but hopefully by the end of the year we are a different team.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I don't see that the jury is still out on him. Your original post stated that there were plenty of reasons to question Douglas. I totally disagree with that sentiment. IMO he has only made a few of what should be considered mistakes. GMs are human, they are going to make mistakes. The greatest GMs in our era Ron Wolf and Ozzie Newsome made mistakes. Just because a move a GM made doesn't work out doesn't mean it was a mistake. Sometimes, that move is the best one can make under the circumstances. Any time one signs a FA, just as when one drafts a player, there are no guarantees. Not every move works out. The players themselves have an affect upon whether a move works out, injuries happen, some of the moves are only stopgaps, players don't fit in chemistry-wise, etc. One's perspective is everything. If one has an overly negative, cynical point of view, one is looking for "mistakes" and every move that isn't a homerun can be considered a "mistake."

I'm interested in knowing what these "plenty of reasons" are in your perspective. I imagine that Kalil was one and Robby Anderson was another. In the case of Kalil, he was grasping at straws. He was hired after FA and the draft, and the Jets were in desperate need of help at center. There were no good center cap cuts. Kalil had been a great, smart player and I'm sure that JD thought he would be at least solid and help lead the OL. It was a reasonable move out of desperation. It would have cost an arm and a leg to trade for some team's backup center, and there were no guarantees that that center would have played any better than Kalil. JD didn't want to start off wasting draft capital when this team had so many holes. It was a reasonable move/gamble that didn't work out.

JD works with his HC. Gase didn't want Anderson, and Anderson's character was a concern at the time. JD was trying to change the culture and get high character players on the team. He has admitted that not re-signing Anderson was a mistake, and I agree with that, but imo it certainly wasn't an egregious mistake, and JD has more than made up for it by drafting Mims and Moore and signing Davis and Cole.

What are these other mistakes?

Noam, barfolomew and K'OB like this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.